Renault Clio juddering - Frogeye
My daughter has a 1992 1.4RT with single point fuel injection. It has done 150,000 miles and will be replaced in 2 months. She now lives away from home so all descriptions are verbal. She says that the car is juddering as it is driven and almost stalls when slowing down. The AA patrolman has driven the car and said that engine is OK but he thought that the engine mounts were broken, he then rocked the engine and said they were OK. He was now stumped and thought it may be the clutch.
My thoughts are; could it be the injector? for some time the idle has been uneven, which I believe is a sympton of a dirty injector. I understand that the proper way to clean is by ultrasonics but could a good squirt with carb cleaner improve the situation?
Does anyone know of a good garage in the Bournmouth/Weymouth areas that could help? also have you an idea of cost, as she does not want to throw money at it, whilst waiting for her new car.
Thanks in advance of your help.
Renault Clio juddering - Peter D
Try a good Petrol Injection cleaner and use a double dose in a couple of gallons and runit for 50 miles or so then use the recommended dose for a whole tank. Did the AA guy go for plug leads these may be your problem. Regards Peter
Renault Clio juddering - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
An HT (leads/cap/rotor) problem seems quite likely.

If you want a good professional opinion locally try Brian Littler
on 01202 385809.

Regards, Adam
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.
Renault Clio juddering - Frogeye
Thanks for your prompt reply. No, he did not mention leads, which could be likely as they have not been replaced since she bought the car about 70,000 miles ago. The clutch was replaced just prior to her purchase. I am relieved that the replies are pointing to ignition, relatively cheap and easy to replace, unlike a clutch!