Please endorse my licence - AF
A zebra crossing has just been installed in a nearby road (a vanity project by the town mayor). The residents of nearby houses are continuing to park where they alsways have, except that they are now parked on top of the zigzag lines.

How long before there is a letter to the local paper moaning about how not only have they been fined, but have been given points on their licence.

What is most amusing about the whole situation is that the only cars parked in the road, were those parked on the zigzags. The rest of the street was empty.
Please endorse my licence - runboy
Funny you should mention zebras.

I observed (lost count as I was driving away) at least 5 cars fail to stop for a person waiting on a zebra crossing a few days ago. It got me thinking. One reason why I think local people ignore them is that as we only have a handful in the city, people are not used to them and just don't notice or understand their importance or what they should do when they see one!
Please endorse my licence - Sooty Tailpipes
Zebta crossings are pften less visible than they used to be, as the poles used to be striped down to the floor, whereas now, the poles are like any other until near the top, and as the poles are taller, the amber globes are often out of view. The worst thing of all though is the way councils have been sticking these globes everywhere where there isn't a zebra crossing, so the emaning of them is lost.
Please endorse my licence - frostbite
Unless the law has changed since I started driving (must get a recent copy of HC), pedestrians should be on the first white band of the crossing to be 'effective'.

Similarly, crossings with a centre island can be treated as two separate crossings, so you do not have to stop for someone on the opposite crossing.

Not that I always rigidly apply either.
Please endorse my licence - Doc
Unless the law has changed since I started driving (must get
a recent copy of HC), pedestrians should be on the first
white band of the crossing to be 'effective'.

Rule 171

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing
look out for people waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
you MUST give way when someone has moved onto a crossing
allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
do not wave people across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.
Law ZPPPCR reg 25

Please endorse my licence - malteser
Here in Spain, Zebra crossings (particularly in built up areas) are,in the opinion of Spanish motorists, very handy spaces in which to park their cars!
Having said that, we brave(or foolhardy)UK expats are "training" the local drivers to stop at zebra crossings by confidently stepping out and proceeding with Anglo Saxon sang- froid.
It seems to be working in our village, which straddles a main road, as even camione drivers occasionally stop even before we get on a crossing!
"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable"
Please endorse my licence - Manatee
I was advised while in Turin not to attempt to use a pedestrian crossing as they are regarded only as convenient places to collect the casualties; certainly the drivers looked slightly bemused as they swerved around me.

Please endorse my licence - NowWheels
I was advised while in Turin not to attempt to use
a pedestrian crossing as they are regarded only as convenient places
to collect the casualties; certainly the drivers looked slightly bemused
as they swerved around me.

When I was first in Italy, an Italian friend warned me to consider the crossings as a pile of bandages on the road, ready to be attached to me if I stepped out on the crossing thereby tempting a driver to use for target practice. When I tried it, I began to think that he probabbly wasn't joking
Please endorse my licence - THe Growler
Put your foot on one in Manila and traffic actually speeds up and aims right at you.