VW Polo (98/99) Cutting out Problem! - jvp
I have a S reg VW Polo (98/99) 1.4 16v which keeps cutting out when slowing down from third gear to second. It usually happens when turning into roads and going round roundabouts and is proving to be quite dangerous.

I have taken it to my local VW dealership twice who cannot find anything wrong with it. I have had it nearly 3 years and has a full VW service history. This problem has been going on for about 6 months now.

Any ideas?!
VW Polo (98/99) Cutting out Problem! - Ian D
Has the fuel filter been changed recently???
I'm pretty sure that it was changed on my last service back in March but I will double check with the Dealer. Come to think of it - it started a couple of months after the service. Thanks for the advice:)
VW Polo (98/99) Cutting out Problem! - David G.I.Davies
Suggest you thoroughly clean out the throttle body and throttle plate until it is absolutely spotless,using carburetter cleaner and an old toothbrush.You may then need to have the throttle adaptation set using diagnostic equipment.
Thanks - This is a job for the weekend! I'll see what happens....
VW Polo (98/99) Cutting out Problem! - Welliesorter
I have a friend with an Skoda Octavia (the same car as yours under the surface) whose car cut out every few days, sometimes at the same point in his regular journey to work. The dealer could find no problems. Posting in various web forums led him to the culprit which turned out to be relay 109 which is something to do with the ECU.

Could be a red herring in your case (perhaps the gear change is a clue) but may be worth investigating.
VW Polo (98/99) Cutting out Problem! - tango
Hi jvp,
I have a 1.4 polo 97 and smae problem occured. slowing down at junction while changing gear at slow speed it would cut out. I had the fuel pump change ( 70quids ! ) but no success. Took it to my local back street garage and he found the big split on the rubber hose from the air filter housing. It cost about 8 quids from VW. They said it a well know problems . Since I changed it in November 03 , it never cut out again. before that it would cut out about 2-3 times in a journey of 20 miles. Hopes the info help.

Tango