Can you give me some good advice please - welshy
Hi all , im fairly new here and i would like some advice if thats ok ? I have an "M" plate Cavalier sri saloon in white , obviously its a 16v with an ecotec engine . There is absolutally nothing wrong with the car , further more the body is in excellent condition . The car has along mot till oct this year . Basically im a little bored with it , so its for sale at around £1300. I have been offered a Mazda 323f gti on an "H" plate , in exchange straight swap . The guy said that the mazda is one of only a few that came over from Japan for One year only , apparently its the one that has 150bhp. Should I do this swap , or would I be very foolish ? Please people can you give me some good advice as to what to do ?
Can you give me some good advice please - Ivor E Tower
Depends on how long you intend to keep it and how much you want to spend on motoring. I kept my last car for 18 years - it too was Japanese - a rare Honda Civic Shuttle. You tend to need few bits to keep a Japanese car going, but they can cost an arm and a leg when you do need them - example I paid nearly £300 for one brake calliper for the Honda, and that was about ten years ago. Comparable price for a european car was around £30. On the other hand, over 18 years I only had to but a handful of non-consumable bits, and this calliper was the most expensive!
I too got bored with the car after a few years, but it was reliable, didn't rust significantly until about 2 years ago and was reasonable fun to drive. After initial purchase it cost next to nothing to run apart from insurance and the odd few spares.
In the same time, I could have bought several other cars, spend a fortune on depreciation and goodness knows what on repairs.
Personally unless you have loads of cash to keep a potential new purchase on the road, I'd stick to what you have and save up for something that you'd really like to drive around in.
Can you give me some good advice please - welshy
Ivor , thanks very much for the advice . Seems silly to some people that I want to change the Cavalier allready . People comment as to how nice it is , people say how nice it is to see a cavalier sri that has not been molested by boy racers . But then again , im bored with it .