Cost of Scratch Repairs - IKM
I've had the misfortune to scratch a front wing on my 4 year old metallic silver BMW323i. The damage is not serious, i.e no bare or deformed metal. To repaint the wing I've been quoted almost £300 by a BMW dealer and £140 at a Nationwide Crash Repair Centre. Does anyone know why the big difference. Cost is not the main issue for me. My main concern is to get a repair that looks as good as new and which doesn't get marked down as "accident damage" when I come to sell the car in a few years time. Any advice or experience from others would be appreciated.
Cost of Scratch Repairs - Doc
From HJ FAQ:
Who repairs minor damage to my car, its trim and its wheels at less cost than a garage or bodyshop?

For minor dents of the supermarket carpark variety, call 'Chips Away' on 0800 028 7878, website www.chipsaway.co.uk; or 'Dent Devils' on 0870 241 5679, website www.dentdevils.co.uk) who will put you onto their nearest operator.
You might also check out S.M.A.R.T. Repair's website, www.smartrepair.com and www.dentwizard.com.

I have used a mobile SMART repairer, who did an excellent job on a scratch.
Price seems to be about £90 per panel.

Cost of Scratch Repairs - patently
The other alternative is to wait for someone to drive into that panel and get it done at the same time ... works a treat.
Cost of Scratch Repairs - Ivor E Tower
Find a good, local repairshop, preferably owned by the bloke who runs it day-to-day, and offer to pay in cash. If you're in the GU postcode area I can name at least 3 local places who I would recommend, based on personal use and recommendation by work colleagues.
Cost of Scratch Repairs - Blue {P}
Personally I wouldn't choose the Nationwide centre, out of the two I would rather pay the extra and get BMW to do it.

What area of the country are you in?

Blue
Cost of Scratch Repairs - IKM
I'm in the east Glasgow area. Thanks to all those who have contributed. I have a protected no claim bonus so I'll probably get BMW to do the job and pay the £100 excess.
Cost of Scratch Repairs - mikeyb
Diference in cost is probably labour rates - also BMW may have a more rigourous proceure. I guess the car still has some bodywork / rust guarantee left on it so it may be worth checking if you need to have the work done at BMW to maintain this.

Also from previous experience I wouldnt touch Nationwide Crash Repair with a barge poll. Bad experience with them a few years ago.