The Morning After The Night Before! - NitroBurner
How many of you have had just a couple too many 'shandies' the night before you have promised to drive the next day & awoken thinking "oh no", and had to cancell the driving duties?

Happened to me today & boy, did I get it of SWMBO...

Any spare rooms out there?
The Morning After The Night Before! - urlife_006
swmbo?

spare room erm i guess
The Morning After The Night Before! - Godfrey H {P}
Very sensible decision on your part NB. Lots of people have collected a ban for being WELL over the limit the following day.
I expect SWMBO is giving you grief for having too many sherberts in the first place!
The Morning After The Night Before! - Dave N
I'd like to know how you can get done for breaking a limit, in this case blood/alcohol, when you've no way of knowing what your blood/alcohol level is.

It's a bit like driving a car that doesn't have a speedo fitted, then getting done for breaking the speed limit.
The Morning After The Night Before! - patently
Can I get off future speeding fines by taking out my speedo then?
The Morning After The Night Before! - Bromptonaut
I'd like to know how you can get done for breaking
a limit, in this case blood/alcohol, when you've no way of
knowing what your blood/alcohol level is.
It's a bit like driving a car that doesn't have a
speedo fitted, then getting done for breaking the speed limit.

The simple answer is to avoid any doubt by not drinking at all. There's plenty of stuff on this site and elsewhere on uptake versus elimination in terms of units of alcohol. If you still feel drunk the following morning you almost certainly are.
The Morning After The Night Before! - PoloGirl
I'd like to know how you can get done for breaking
a limit, in this case blood/alcohol, when you've no way of
knowing what your blood/alcohol level is.
It's a bit like driving a car that doesn't have a
speedo fitted, then getting done for breaking the speed limit.

That's a bit silly really isn't it? Of course you know you've got alcohol in your blood if you've been drinking the night before.

Don't know why but I have a figure of eight hours in my head for the time it takes for alcohol to leave your system... so if you stop drinking at 2am, you're not safe to drive to work the next day for 9.

I'm driving 85 year old nan back to Wolverhampton tomorrow and she wants to be there before it gets dark... expecting to see lots of enthusiastic policemen looking for "morning afters" on the way, just like last year.

The Morning After The Night Before! - Dwight Van Driver
>>>Don't know why but I have a figure of eight hours in my head for the time it takes for alcohol to leave your system... so if you stop drinking at 2am, you're not safe to drive to work the next day for 9.<<<

Oh P.G. if it were only true.

FACT it depends on so many factors. I have known 12 hours after turn the crystals green.(Pre electronics).

DVD
The Morning After The Night Before! - Dave N
DVD is correct, there are so many variables that you can't possibly be sure you are below the limit. That is my point, you can still be done for something when there is no way of knowing at what point you have broken the law.

To those that say you should have NO alcohol, fine. But when do you reach this point? Again, you can't be sure as you have no realistic way of telling, only the coppers do, by which time it's a bit late.
The Morning After The Night Before! - urlife_006
from what i can remember it is 1 unit lost for every 1 hour after your last drink, so depends on how many units you drink, there is a website somewere that has all the list of units per drink, i'll try and dig it out,.Halford do a breath tester thingy i remember seeing it at the counter, weather they still do it is another matter

Sam
The Morning After The Night Before! - spinner
I believe that if you've been on the razz the night before, then the liver takes until at least lunchtime the next day to clear most of the alcohol out of the system.
There are lots of variables influencing metabolic clearance of ethanol - so there is no 'safe' amount to drink.
Grim, but true.
The Morning After The Night Before! - Hawesy1982
Interesting point urlife 006

CAN you buy a breathalyser for your own use?

If so, where?
The Morning After The Night Before! - matt35 {P}
Hawesy,
There are several you can buy for your own use - I wouldn't like to risk my license with any of them.
Matt35.
The Morning After The Night Before! - PR {P}
Urlife, that is almost right, the average persons liver can get rid of 1 unit every hour, however, this starts as you start, so after 2 hours drinking, your body has already removed 2 units.
Try it out, you're not likely to get drunk if you drink a pint of lager over a 2 hour period!(or 2pints over 4 hours etc.)
The Morning After The Night Before! - jc33
I have one of those home breathalyzers. They are quite good fun but are not very accurate and I never use just that to judge whether I'm fit to drive. Mine only has 3 settings - slightly drunk, drunk, and very drunk. If anything at all shows up, I'll not drive, even if I feel fit to. But if I don't feel fit to and it comes up clear, I still won't.
The Morning After The Night Before! - buzbee
You people with breathalisers, try testing this. 'Your body (in good condition) takes half an hour to get rid of each half pint'. Not that I drink very much. My max intake is a pint and a half (beer)and then 2-3 hours, usually 3, before driving.
The Morning After The Night Before! - David Horn
Since I don't drink (very boring, I know) I'm probably not qualified to comment, but this is what I can dredge up from memory:

1 unit of alcohol takes 1 hour to be broken down by the liver.

1 pint of lager = 2 units
1 glass of wine = 1 unit
1 shot of spirit = 1 unit (not 100% sure on this one)
Alcopops etc, probably 1 per bottle but possibly more.
1 pint of lager = 2 units
1 glass of wine = 1 unit
1 shot of spirit = 1 unit (not 100% sure on
this one)
Alcopops etc, probably 1 per bottle but possibly more.

One shot of spirit @40%abv might be right and will be most consistent, but not sure about new larger measures.
Other figures while widely quoted should be treated with caution. Beer/Lager figures assume 3% abv, so Stella, best bitter etc will give more than two units/pint. Wine calculaltion based on something below 10% abv and a small (<100ml) glass. 250ml glass of Shiraz and your up for a ban there and then. Alcopops? too many varaibles to even guess.
The Morning After The Night Before! - No Do$h
Many bottles have the unit count on them. I've seen alcho-pops around the 1.6unit mark.
The Morning After The Night Before! - AF
A website I came across in the past. Not sure how accurate it is.

www.rupissed.com/
The Morning After The Night Before! - Leon on Derv
I have a friend who is a very straight and honest bloke. He told me on Christmas Eve he was breathalised and was deemed to be "borderline". He claims the only drink he had during that evening were three cans of red bull.

He does not drink at all during the week as he is a taxi driver.

Is there a condition deemed as borderline??? Could the contents of red bull contribute towards a false reading.

like I say, I would trust this guy with my life, I have never had reason to doubt anything he has told me.

Leon
The Morning After The Night Before! - smokie
Well I didn't realise that Red Bull had any alcohol in it...isn't it caffeine based?

I think your mate was talking a load of Red Bull...
I have a friend who is a very straight and honest
bloke. He told me on Christmas Eve he was breathalised
and was deemed to be "borderline". He claims the only
drink he had during that evening were three cans of red
bull.

Borderline presumably means the equipment registered the presence of alcohol, but below the limit. Don't think it has any consequence beyond it being pointed out that you are sailing close to the wind. As to cause; mouthwash, cold cure? Not red bull which is essentially fizzy pop with added caffeine etc. IIRC there are some medical conditions that can give rise to a low blood alcohol reading. One of the reasons why a zero limit would be impractical .
The Morning After The Night Before! - pdc {P}
the simple formula for working out how many units a given amout of alcohol at a given percentage contains is

(volume of drink in ml x percentage) / 1000