What can only be described as...COOL! - Adam {P}
{Thread moved from Technical Matters. DD}

Hi all.
Today I discovered a really \'cool\' feature on our Ford Focus. If you hold the Odometer reset button in whilst starting the engine until tESt is displayed, push it again and bUlb will appear and all of the dash bulbs will light up. If you keep pushing it and drive, you will discover that the odometer is now a digital speedometer and shows the needle to be about 3mph out at 30mph. You can push it again and get a digital rev counter and then it starts going weird. There is then a display saying \'EO\' and then numbers which fluctuate. I presume that this is Exhaust Emissions as the numbers vary according to engine speed. Then there are others which I have no idea what they do such as \'ILL\' and so on. Basically though, the odometer is now a computer interface. GO On ....TRY IT!
--
After death, hair grows but phone calls tend to taper off
What can only be described as...COOL! - AR-CoolC
Fantastic looks like I will not be watching the road on the way home :-)

By the way what model is yours ???

Mines a Zetec
I did have a few near misses on the way home too :-)

A Ghia...although technically it isn't mine...it's my dad's.....Damn.
--
What can only be described as...COOL! - DL
Instrument pack self-diagnosis function
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Well...
I tried this on the way home last night and on the way in this morning but the only thing I can get to happen is the test function.
All 4 needles have a little dance but the dash lights don't illuminate.
Must be either the difference between the Zetec and Ghia ECU's or I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone out there know the answers ??
What can only be described as...COOL! - smokie
"Anyone out there know the answers ??"

Yeah, leave well alone! :-)
Just popped out and had another go.

This time it worked, but like you I can't tell what each of the settings are, I think I had it set on fuel economy for a while.

It may be time for a search of the old web thingy to see what can be found.
Well a quick search found the Ford Focus Owners Club and in there forum I found this.
tinyurl.com/3x3ec

That would appear to have answered all questions....thanks Glass-tech. Before though, I could only get some functions up whilst the car was moving. Before you say "EYES ON THE ROAD" by moving, I mean out of the drive and THEN I could mess about with it more whilst driving!

Cheers
--
What can only be described as...COOL! - SjB {P}
Anyone with a Volvo that has a HU-803 head unit fitted will find that this little baby has an extensive in-built diagnostic function that also includes a digital speedometer.

www3.sympatico.ca/p_bruno/volvo/AudioSystemHU803Hi...f

Although only available in kph, I found it to be incredibly accurate from 'time over distance' calculation.

(Why does it exist at all? To be used in conjunction with the db display to the right hand side of it that indicates automatic volume control trigger speeds)