BMW 323 - loud scraping noise at revs - kris_kros
I drive a 1997 323i Automatic. Recently, on returning from a 250 mile round trip i noticed a scraping noise coming from the front of the car. I assumed the under tray had come off and was dragging on the road; however this was not the case. The noise seems to occur when the engine revs beyond, or drops below 2250, revs or there abouts. Any ideas?? This noise occurs even when i hold it in second gear so have ruled out the clutch or gearbox as being at fault.
BMW 323 - loud scraping noise at revs - Peter D
I drive a 1997 323i Automatic, hold it in second gear so have ruled out the clutch or gearbox. That doesn't make sense Automatic and Clutch. Which is it and does it do it when the car is not moving. listen to the aux drive belt and the steering pump. Regards Peter
sorry, school boy error. Its an automatic.
i have been advised that the heat shield on the catalytic converter may be vibrating at a certain resonant frequency in which case a bit of welding may be the solution.
BMW 323 - loud scraping noise at revs - Peter D
So it does it when it is stationary then ?? Heat sheild does not sound like a metal scraping sound. Regards Peter
Err, i see what you mean. Initially there was a scraping sound which occurred at low revs at a particular point in the rev range (between 1500 and 2000 revs). Subsequently, i have also noticed a vibration coming from low down/ possibly in front of the cabin when stationary with engine running. Thanks.