Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - petep
I have a Peug 307 Dturbo 2.0 HDi with 10k on the clock. The main reason for purchase is that I drive a lot of miles in France.

Peugeot claim 40 mpg urban, 67 - extra urban, 54 combined.

I am very disappointed with my car\'s performance and have been monitoring very carefully. On Motorways at an indicated 80 mph I achieve less than 40 mpg. If I drive generally at 60-65 and never go above 70mph I just about achieve 48-49mpg. I have not been using cruise control.

I don\'t think it\'s my driving - my previous car was a 306 DT and that achieved 50 mpg and their extra urban claim was 54 mpg.

Are these figures typical? What are you achieving? I\'m not getting much change out of local Peug distributor and I would like some evidence!

thanks

PeteP
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - Dynamic Dave
Are you calculating the fuel consuption by hand, or relying on a fuel trip computer? If the latter, then they are not always accurate.
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - BobbyG
Pete, I have a similar predicament with my Scenic - I used to have an "old fashioned " turbo diesel, great driver, superb pulling power, would cruise at 100 all day in France. I traded in for a new Scenic, the "new and improved" dci engine and it is a big let down.

On the turbo diesel I averaged 47mpg (paperwork to prove it) but in the dci I am lucky to get 42mpg, power is awful, with awful delivery through the gears. I am regularly passed by Transit vans and the like and I just can't keep up!!

But never mind, Renault say the new dci is more economical and cleaner!!
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - DL
Air conditioning on??

Just a thought....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - Andrew-T
DL - I've never found that air-con has any perceptible effect on the fuel consumption of the HDi engine (in a 306, anyway).
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - bazza
Diesel Car mag achieved an overall of 42.4 for the Rapier 90 Hdi,compared to 47.6 mpg for the 306 Hdi 90. Might be down to weight, cars are getting heavier and negating the efficiency advantages of common rail DI etc. Still, would have thought you should do a bit better, my old tech 8v petrol Megane can almost match that!. I know of a 306 Hdi 90 averaging about 50, with 60 mpg on a long run.
Baz
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - AdrianM
I've just had a 307HDi 1.4 as a hire car while my 406 is off the road and I was interested to see how fuel consumption compared. I have been disappointed in the 406 (2.0 HDi 110), the best I've managed is 49.8mpg, worse 44mpg, average 48mpg. I commute 90miles each way to work on mway & dual carriageway. I don't hang about though I do resist hard acceleration.

I only did 300 miles in the 307, and obviously I only filled the tank once when I returned the car. Assuming it was brimful when I collected it, it returned 47mpg. I didn't thrash it but I will cruise around 85-90 conditions permitting.
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - Wilco {P}
My 307 Estate (90 HDi) has managed 46 mpg over the first 22,000 miles. This compares with 52mpg from my old Focus (TDDi) Estate with same usage but over 85,000.

Think the comments about weight are relevant - it feels underpowered in a way that the Focus never did. Much more refined though.
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 DTurbo - petep
I have a Peug 307 Dtubo 2 litre HDi with 10k miles on the clock. I drive a lot of miles in France and am at present very disappointed with the fuel consumption I have experienced to date.

I have been keeping manual records to check consumption. (Actually the on-board computer mirrors my findings ver accurately!) During motorway driving - say 2-300 milesworth at a steady indicated 80 I get 39 mpg. On the other hand if a drop to below 70 - say 60-65 I just about make 48mpg.

Peugeot claim: Extra Urban 67 mpg, Urban 40 mpg, Combined 54 mpg. You can see that my experience doesn't match that by a mile!

I don't think it's my driving - my previous car was a 306 dturbo and I used to get 50 mpg and the claimed extra urban consumption for that model is 54mpg!

I have taken up the issue with Peugeot, and so far I have not made much progress. I'd like some other drivers' experiences as evidence. Can you please let me know what fuel consumption performance you are achieving with a similar car?

Thanks a lot.

PeteP
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 DTurbo - Dynamic Dave
Have you not seen the replies to a very similar question that you posted on Sat 20 Dec 03 over in discussion?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18557

ps, the 2 threads will be joined together at some point later today to avoid repetition. DD, BR Moderator.
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 DTurbo - Civic8
I doubt you will get a reply.The stated MPG on all cars is not and cannot be guaranteed by any manufacturer.I think the small print doe`s mention the figure`s are approximate.Also the fact that various other factor`s come in air temp climbing hills/speed the list is endless and due to this no one can state the MPG of any car as being exactly what it will do.Ps I think the road test`s for MPG are done on rolling road though not sure.I expect there is someone that know`s how it`s done
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 DTurbo - rustbucket
I have always understood that the fuel consumption figures quoted in the manufacturers literature are obtained by a standard method that every manufacturer follows.Therefore these figures are only usefull in comparing each vehicle to one and another.I have found over the years driving many different vehicles you very rarely achieve anything like the stated MPG as quoted by the manufacturer.

got ot go now as santa will be along soon.

rustbucket
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 DTurbo - Ivor E Tower
ISTR that official govt figures are to a "standard method" and may be done on a rolling road where air resistance etc are not taken into account. It is almost impossible therefore to match the official consumption figures. With modern cars getting heavier and taller, presenting a bigger "frontal area" your consumption figures seem quite reasonable. At high speeds, drag takes a lot more fuel to overcome so mpg at 80mph will never be that good.
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 DTurbo - Civic8
I did say various other factor`s.As far as i`m aware yes.and you have answered the original question.No manufacturer can say a car will do such and such MPG it would or is impossible to say for obvious reason`s
Peugeot 307 HDi Fuel Consumption - petep
Hello to All that Replied

Thanks very much. Sorry it\'s a new topic but I don\'t know how to \'reply\' to the comments received.

During my investigations I e-mailed Peugeot UK to ask about the specification of the Extra Urban Cycle. This is their reply:

\' This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half-steady speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120khh), average speed is 39 mph (63 kmh) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7km).\'

That was sent by Peter Langeveld Customer Care Manager.

I understand the issues about frontal area and drag but the above would seem to mitigate those effects!

I drive with aircon \'on\' but I understand the effect is minimal.

I also realise that there is no such thing as steady motoroway cruising because of the effect of hills, overtaking and slowing down by being baulked but I would like to get reasonably close to what Peugeot claim!

I\'m going to try HonestJohn\'s Shell recommendation.

Thanks again for all comments.

Merry Christmas

PeteP

Peugeot 307 HDi Fuel Consumption - Dynamic Dave
Sorry it's a new topic but I don't know how to 'reply' to the comments received.

PeteP,

By clicking on the "Reply to this message" button.
Peugeot 307 HDi Fuel Consumption - Ben79
I think it depends what the car is, the fuel and the gearbox ratios if you can reach the official combined figure.

I owned a 1.1 Saxo, official 43.5mpg (2000 W reg), average consumption over 11,000 miles 44.6mpg.

Then a 1.4 Xsara, official comsumption 41mpg, average 41mpg.

Now a 2.0 HDI Citroen C5, official consumption 50mpg, average 45mpg. OK, the car is a lot bigger and heavier, and has far better performance so I don't complain too much.

I do the majority of my driving going to and from work. 9 miles each way in 30 to 45 mins on hilly Yorkshire urban roads.

The Saxo would hold 30mph in 5th, the Xsara 35mph, the C5 requires 40-45 in 5th. This also concludes that city cars are meant for driving in cities!

I'll stick with what I've got thanks. Maybe the engine needs a bit more time to free up (15k now) as the oil was changed upon purchase at 7k then again at 10k for my preferred synthetic oil.
Peugeot 307 HDi Fuel Consumption - richardc
I do not think that any car achieves the stated figures for mpg, but yours do sound a way off where they should be.
I notice that you reference a different fuel source and that could be a very smart move. Rival fuel companies use different lubricants. Taking the sulphur out has had an effect on diesel fuel, which will alter mpg readings on any car.

Changing the oil can have positive results, so ask your Dealer what is used in their garage, when your car has a service. The oils nowadays are much better than ten years ago, and can be "thinner" at different heat temperatures, which allow the engine to turn easier.

Also, keep a check on your tyre pressures, as this can make a small difference, especially when carrying an extra load.
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - Civic8
I did mention before.And doubt you will get any change but good luck do let me know if any change?
Fuel Consumption Peugeot 307 - Dynamic Dave
Petep, and other pug 307 owners,

I've just recently read a readers letter in this months CSMA Motoring and Leisure magazine.

Apparantly the trip meter and the milometer on a Pug 307 record different values, ie, reset the trip to zero, drive 100 miles and the mileometer will actually record approx 120 miles.

The reader said that Peugeot UK are aware of the problem on certain 307's and that their technicians were working on the problem but as yet have not come up with a solution.

Could this be the reason you think you're getting poor mpg, purely because you've done your calculations using the trip meter readout and not the milometer?