Taxing a vehicle - Colin M
Recently bought a Golf (per recommendations here) and the tax runs out at the end of the month. The DVLA have already sent the new reg document so I took that, the MOT, old tax disc & insurance to my local PO to get a new tax disc to cover from 1st October (not usually willing to donate money to the government early, but will be out of the country most of the time well into October).

The PO clerk told me that I could not tax the car until the day before the old one expired as I didn't have a renewal notice from the DVLA. Apparently you can't take the old tax disc in within 14 days of expiry to ensure continuous cover any more. Knowing my luck, plod will have me when I drive out of the airport car park on the 10th October with an out of date disc?

Is this true or was the old lady behind the counter losing it?

Colin
Re: Taxing a vehicle - Tom Shaw
You can obtain a form from any post office which is specifically for renewing your VED if you do not have the renewal notice. I know because that is what I had to do last December when a local postal dispute meant Swansea's reminder never got to me. Post office staff are completely usless when it comes to any knowledge on motor related items.
Re: Taxing a vehicle - Colin M
Thanks Tom, I filled in the V10 and complied with everything on the list and pointed out the part that said "You can apply for a licence not more than 14 days before the licence is due to start." She still wasn't having any of it.

Colin
Taxing a vehicle - David Lacey
Then take your business elsewhere. She's the only one to loose out.

David L
Re: Taxing a vehicle - David Woollard
Yep I'm sorry some PO counter staff are useless on such matters. On a previous thread I mentioned they told me over a period of weeks there was no form to declare SORN, you had to wait for the taxation reminder....complete rubbish that form is even available on-line.

David
Local Post Offices - David Lacey
Colin,

The old saying 'Use it or loose it' is very true.

We have a small PO and General Store in the village where I grew up.
I now live in a small town some 3 miles distant.
I always make a point of paying all bills at this small PO to support this valuable local amenity. (He is also a customer of mine, so a bit of reciprocal business is good)

Many local villages have lost their local shop/PO/Pub etc due to the big operators in the large towns.
To those people who don't have the use of a motor vehicle, the local shop is a lifeline.

We used to enjoy hearing the skittlers at the local pub on a Thursday night shouting etc, but sadly no more - the pub has now been knocked down and 4 or 5 houses squeezed onto the site.

David
Re: Taxing a vehicle - Colin M
Dave W, I remember the thread. Very frustrating.

Dave L, I'm lucky to have a village PO and "General Store" and try to spend some money there to help keep them going as Tesco have three mega stores in a 5 mile radius, but I'd be damned if I can think where the next PO counter is!

Colin
Re: Local Post Offices - Colin M
I travel to the USA a lot but rarely rent a car, preferring to get around on foot. It's surprising how, once outside the shopping mall car park how pedestrian unfriendly the place is. I hope that we can retain or even re-establish our local traders to slow the drift towards a totally car dependant society (got the "old mans" hat on).

Colin
Re: Taxing a vehicle - Wight Van Manne
Losing it!
Re: Taxing a vehicle - Brian
My understanding is that you can tax a vehicle up to 14 days before expiry, but you must not DISPLAY the new disc until it comes into force.
You do not have to produce the old tax disc on renewal now.