Petrol additive to boost octane rating - Dude - {P}
A friend who lives in a remote area of West Scotland, has bought an Audi TT with the 225bhp motor that requires 98 ron fuel. The problem is that his nearest garage selling super unleaded is 100 miles round trip away.

Is there any additive product on the market that would boost normal 95 Ron to super unleaded ???

He is lucky to live in an area where Gatsos are unknown, so enjoys the blast to get fuel. But at what cost !!!!
Petrol additive to boost octane rating - Quinny
Millers do 2 products that are additives.One is called CVL,which is a lead replacement and octane booster,and the other is called VSP,which is purely an octane booster.

Castrol also do a lead additve/octane booster called Valvemaster.

I have used both the CVL and the Valvemaster in my Autograss Mini,and to be honest there's not a lot of difference in the two,except the price,and I think they raise the octane rating by about 2-3 points,so I should imagine the VSP will be about the same.

Both the CVL and VSP retail at about £5,whereas the Valvemaster retails at about £10,and off the top of my head,I think they are all of the 250ml bottle variety,and you mix with your fuel accordingly.

As for your friend living on the West Coast area,he may have difficulty obtaining supplies,so I can't help you there.
Quinny
many thanks for your informative thread, will check out the Millers website pronto.!!
Petrol additive to boost octane rating - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Under NO circumstances use any product that is a lead substitute, it will wreck the catalytic converters.I would have thought that 95 octane would be perfectly ok in this motor but I stand to be corrected!
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Have now checked out Millers website and their product is called Octane Plus, which is claimed to boost the fuel rating by 2 octane and is safe to use in modern engines without harming the catalytic converter.

"I would have thought that 95 octane would be perfectly ok in this motor but I stand to be corrected!
Andrew"

Andrew having tried 95 octane, the motor develops bad flat spots and runs extremely roughly, so is certainly not worth the hassle.
Petrol additive to boost octane rating - SjB {P}
<<< I would have thought that 95 octane would be perfectly ok in this motor but I stand to be corrected!
Andrew >>>

Sorry Andrew! - It took about thirty seconds on the Audi UK web site to confirm that the 225 BHP version of the TT does indeed require 98 octane fuel.

www.audi.co.uk/newcars/specs.jsp?section=/models/t...0

Petrol additive to boost octane rating - Roger Jones
VAG's own fuel additive (part number G 001 700 03) costs about £5.50 for enough to add to 150 litres of petrol. It's both an octane enhancer and an injector cleaner, but not a lead additive. I use it all the time, having originally been prompted by HJ in an exchange about cool-running problems on my Audi 100, which it cured overnight. That's not relevant to your friend's need, but it is a good product and it does come from VAG.
Petrol additive to boost octane rating - Cliff Pope
Gardlite Oils in Norfolk do Millers at £3 a bottle mail order. I can't remember the website offhand, but something like gardlite.co.uk.

I use VSP Plus in a Triumph 2000 needing both lead replacement and an octane boost, and have found it excellent.

The recomended dose is 1 bottle in 40 litres of unleaded petrol, but by experiment I have found that half a bottle works just as well.
Petrol additive to boost octane rating - Quinny
If that £3 per bottle is mail order including postage,then that is cheap,and could well be cheaper than Millers sells it for,so that price could be open to debate.The best price I have seen it for is about £5.

On the subject of the lead additive product......

The only reason I mentioned it is because it could be easy for anyone who has not used Millers additives before,to get the wrong stuff,hence the mention of them both.I only mentioned Castrol because,like I said,I use it in my Mini autograss car.I didn\'t want to confuse people,but what I will say is that I\'ve used Millers products before,and not just additive,and found them to be excellent.

For what it\'s worth,Millers products can be bought direct from the plant at Brighouse in West Yorkshire,but you have to buy certain quantities for them to make it worth while.This I know, as I enquired about their oils for my Mini,but found out that their \'deal\' was no cheaper than buying it locally,despite the fact they wanted to advertise on my car. What a cheek!!!!