Cars & Films - Phoenicks
After the Best Ferrari thread and the mention of the Countach its got me thinking of what is the best Cars/Film moments.

I go for Cannonball Run (1 of course). The noise, the excessive gear changes, the defacing of the speed sign, the two great looking chicks. Above all tho it was the fact that the car was an original, rather than kit car (unlike late Cannonball Run movies) Lamborghini.

Cars & Films - Wales Forester
Being patriotic and all that, it's got to be The Italian Job and those Minis used in the escape from Turin - superb!

PP
Cars & Films - robZilla
For me it's got to be Ronin (1998) with Robert de Niro and Jean Reno. The star of course, is the Audi S8.
Cars & Films - Clanger
Ronin, I agree. Audi S8, disagree. The XM has it.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Cars & Films - matt35 {P}
Hawkeye,

What was the movie where the Citroen drove off from the cops on three wheels?

That, and The Italian Job, stick in my memory.

Matt35.
Cars & Films - helicopter
Who else remembers the 1970 cult classic 'Vanishing Point' starring Barry Newman and a Dodge Challenger?

Cars & Films - Clanger
I do, I do.

What about 'Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry' and their Dodge Charger from the same era?

Hawkeye
Cars & Films - PR {P}
How about the original Day of the Jackal, in which he drives across France in a smart Alfa spider?
Yep - with Peter Fonda and Susan George (Sigh!.)

So how about 'Two Lane Blacktop'????
Cars & Films - Dwight Van Driver
Postman Pat and red van in Hawkeye's country?????????

DVD
Cars & Films - Hawesy1982
Ronin and the 'driving the wrong way down the motorway' chase.

OR, if this counts....

The Matrix Reloaded - Truely awesome stunts/crashes, and apparently most of it WAS actually done, not too much computer trickery used at all.

Bad Boys II has a good one aswell, involving a Ferrari chasing a car transporter
Cars & Films - Clanger
Now DVD you're just being flippant.

All time record for late delivery of this "morning's" post, 4.23 pm yesterday. Postman unfailingly cheerful, often in shorts and no sense of urgency at all!

Hawkeye
Cars & Films - John R @ Work {P}
I seem to remember Barry Newman was also in the 1972 film of the book FEAR IS THE KEY.

Most of the first half is a car chase ending in a jump from a jetty to a ferry (car is banana shaped after landing)...

John R
Cars & Films - THe Growler
Was just going to say Vanishing Point, copy of which I still have. The final scene (I won't spoil this for anyone who didn't see the movie)is absolutely ace.
Cars & Films - Dynamic Dave

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=12666&...f

Cars & Films - Maz
The Lotus Esprit in the Bond film 'the spy who loved me'.

It must be my age, because although the Aston is clearly better looking, this seemed like the lean, low, future of the motorcar to me (except for the underwater bit, obvously!).

It's a terrible pity that the future of the motorcar turned out to be more lke the double decker bus he drove in 'live and let die'.
Cars & Films - Downesi1
Nah, it has to be the orginal "gone in 60 seconds" from 1974, checkout the guy with the hadlebar mustach being chased for 45 mins at the end of the film ! No words just pure action.
Cars & Films - peterb
Some of the high speed driving in "Taxi" is pretty good, as is the opening high-speed moped sequence.

Also love the Alfa in The Graduate.
Cars & Films - Dipstick
French Connection....
I've always liked 'Duel'with Dennis Weaver as the salesmen setting off for a nice quiet trip and being tailgated and threatened by that monster truck all blaring horns and belching diesel smoke.

Its a comfort thing - reminds me of a normal day on the M25 .....

Cars & Films - number67
Checkpoint - B&W film from late 50's?

Aston Martin DB3 in Mille Miglia type race.

Anyone seen it?

Haven't got much of a clue what the script was about, but I'd buy it for the race scenes.
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - Rob the Bus {P}
Mine has to be The Blues Brothers. Doesn't this fine film still hold the record for the most police cars wrecked whilst filming a chase?

Superb.

Cheers

Rob
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - patently
How about "Johnny English"?

Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean as a 007 replacement. Q gives him an Aston, which he parks illegally. On returning, he & sidekick hijack the tow truck that has the Aston suspended in mid air and drive off in pursuit. While in the suspended Aston, RA is caught by a speed camera - opens the glovebox to operate the rear-firing missile and hey presto no more speed camera!

Apparently, when it was shown in cinemas that bit got the wildest applause.
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - trancer
"Doesn't this fine film still hold the record for the most police cars wrecked whilst filming a chase?"

Maybe, but I think that Smokey and the Bandit (I think it was the second one) may have it beat.

Against the Odds had a nice race with a Ferrari 3?8 and Porsche 911.

Favourite Motoring-Related Films - Imagos
One of my favourites is on in a few moments at 2:25 on TCM channel 327 on sky, yes it's 'grand prix' with Jim Rockford so if you've got nothing to do...
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - Badger
There's only one -- Jacques Tati's 'Traffic'.
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - El Hacko
anyone remember a film I think was called "The Car"? American (of course), seemingly driven by The Devil (who you never saw) behind darkened windows - it pursued and mowed down or forced off the road various poor souls - until someone took "him" on and coaxed him over a Grand Canyon to die in ball of red (what else) flames.
spooky viewing!
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - Dave E
Not really a car but a great chase sequence nonetheless. Bond in Goldeneye, wrecking Moscow - well Prague I think really in a russian tank. But great fun all the same.
Favourite Motoring-Related Films - frostbite
Agree with earlier posters who nominated Ronin - the most realistic I can recall.
Cars & Films - John R @ home {P}
David Carradine & Sly Stallone in "Death Race 2000"
Nothing really reconizable, just lots of Points for Pedestrians.

John R
Cars & Films - Garethj
Most of the cars in Death Race 2000 were VW Beetle based. I think one of the cars was a disguised VW Karmann Ghia too?
Cars & Films - BazzaBear {P}
Just watched 'I, Robot' at the weekend. Very good film actually, but nearly walked out in disgust after the appearence of at least 5 blatant product placements in the first ten seconds. Audi were the worst offender, with almost every vehicle seen being a (deliverately) poorly disguised TT.
Cars & Films - just a bloke
I think you'll find that...

"C"etait un RENDEZVOUS a film by Claude Lelouch" is the most realistic movie with a car in...

a great 9 min film of a Ferrari 275 GTB driving across Paris so that he can meet his girl.

JaB

Cars & Films - GrumpyOldGit
I think you'll find that...
"C"etait un RENDEZVOUS a film by Claude Lelouch" is the most
realistic movie with a car in...
a great 9 min film of a Ferrari 275 GTB
driving across Paris so that he can meet his girl.
JaB

An absolute classic! The best car film ever as there's no stunt driving or trickery.

There are rumours that it was a stunt driver in a different car, but if so I certainly can't see the joins so I don't believe it. (Victor Meldrew?)
Cars & Films - THe Growler
You got me riffling thru my consderable library of long-forgotten stuff. Not a road race job, but a real tear-jerker.
1966 - "A Man and a Woman"

Starring a gorgeous Anouk Aimee and a red Mustang which is very prominent and some lovely music scores.