Driver training - Vin {P}
As mentioned in another thread, my company experimented with paying for driver training days to cut insurance costs. They found that half day sessions resulted in a 50% reduction in insurance claims for company car drivers. My firm has now expanded this to be available FOC for all staff, company car or not.

If this is a worthwhile investment for a company to reduce insurance claims, it must be a worthwhile investment for a Government to reduce deaths. Discuss.

V
Driver training - SR
Long overdue, but why should "the government" (i.e. all of us) pay for it. Why shouldn't the drivers themselves pay for it - they stand to benefit in the long run, particularly where it's their own insurance and not a company.
Driver training - martint123
It's happening - well in a way:-

www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677...3

The London s************ Partnership has unveiled plans to invest heavily in road safety rather than just increasing the number of cameras on London's roads.

"We are now allowed to put part of our budget in schemes outside the partnership," explained Tom Duckham, Project Manager for the London s************ Partnership. "So we intend to invest a large amount in the BikeSafe scheme in an attempt to tackle the large number of two-wheeled accidents in London. We are initially looking at investing £100,000 but this will hopefully be expanded."

BikeSafe is a nationwide scheme set up by police and local authorities to provide additional rider training and education. The London scheme offers rider skills days at centres around the capital.
Driver training - Vin {P}
"why should "the government" (i.e. all of us) pay for it."

I've read somewhere that it's been calculated that the average road death costs around £1M out of the public purse.

Save half the deaths in the UK each year (2500/5000?) and you've got £2.5Bn. At £100 a training session, that'll cover 25 million drivers a year, so net benefit to the country after a year or so.

I know it doesn't work quite like that - you don't actually save all the cash, but the principle seems pretty reasonable.

That sum, of course, ignores totally the benefits of saving 2,500 lives a year in terms of misery and heartache.

It also assumes that all drivers would benefit the same as drivers all taken from my sample that is inherently biased - HAL employs working age professionals who probably have well-maintained cars and who might be inclined to listen to instruction. Would the speeding scrotes in uninsured heaps take the same notice? Probably not.

I really do think that we should move from a world where you're taught to pass a test, then forgotten forever. Good training would add to the experience that we all gain by driving for a few years.

V
Driver training - Big Vern
Why get the goverment involved to make a mess of it? It is already available in the form of the IAM & ROSPA tests. Which IMHO would have much a more widespread take up if more insurance companies offered discounted rates for holders.

I recently passed my IAM test and got a £20.03 discount from Admerial for the remaining 5 months of the term of my insurance policy. I am guessing that equates to ~ £50 discount per year (taking into account the non linear refunds throughout the term of the policy) therefor it has almost paid for itself in 1 year.

I had previously been put off as the insurance companies offering discounts tended to be 20% more expensive to start with for my quote.