Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - rooster_lxy
Its time to change the timing belt on my 1990 (H-plated) Pug 205XLD (XUD7 non-turbo engine). I haven't really got the space or time to do it myself and so am looking at a garage job.

Has anyone got any idea of the recommended time for changing the timing belt on the XUD7 non-turbo engine?

I have seen in a few of the many timing belt threads here labour times anywhere from 'a couple of hours' to a very specific 4.3 hours. The variation seems to due to experience and make/model differences.

I've been quoted approx £160 labour (4 hours) plus parts and VAT at the west London garage (in W4) that I usually use and was suddenly wondering whether I may have the time after all.

Cheers
Rooster

Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - SjB {P}
Where do you live?

Storm Autos near Witney (Oxon) did the timing belt on my wife's 306. All in price was about £130 including genuine Pug cam and alternator belts (the latter replaced at the same time as the cam belt as a precaution). They are a very friendly, honest, proficient, independent Peugeout workshop. 01993 868500.
Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - Andrew-T
rooster - time to change cambelt will depend somewhat on how many surrounding parts like engine mounts must be dismantled, as well as the belt change itself - clearly this depends on model. But I feel that 4 hours may be a bit generous, even allowing for the lack of working space round the XUD in a 205 bay. Perhaps they have added a contingency allowance?

M.M ?
Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - Chambo
I recently had my 306 done and that was £139 and that was cambelt/alernator belt
Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - M.M
The trade time for this is 3.5hrs in the 205.

Having said that most places will offset that with the fact the 205 is worth little these days and they have done the job so many times before it's a very routine task.

It should mean you'll end up with a labour charge related to about two hours at normal rates.

M.M
Thanks for the responses. I'll see if I can argue them down a little on their estimate of 4 hours for the job.

By the way, does anyone have an opinion on a £40 per hour (ex VAT) labour charge for a London garage? Does it seem reasonable, cheap or excessive.

Rooster
Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - DL
£40/hr for a London workshop seems OK to me.

The 205D belt can be changed in less than an hour, believe me.

We charge £99inc VAT for a genuine belt, labour and VAT
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - pienmash
i agree 40 quid aint bad of us londoners...i got charged once 200 quid for a cam belt change on a 405 mi16
But that's a completely different kettle o' fish m8!

Much more complex and tight to work in!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Fantastic! How close to London are you?

Rooster
About 130 miles :-(
--
Bummer. Not anywhere up the M6 are you. Travelling to the very north of Scotland for Christmas & New Year so I could pop in for a quick belt change if you are.
No, SW end of the M5 infact.....shame, would have been good to meet you!
--
Pug 205 - timing belt change labour time - Den
I was quoted prices ranging from £90 to £247 for a cambelt change on my 306 1.9 non-turbo diesel, two weeks ago.
The £90 quote got the work.
Time?
Car was in garage at 8.00 am and I picked it up at 3.00 pm.
Cumbernauld, Scotland.
Den.
There.....it pays to shop around.

The XUD belt isn't really that bad to do at all. Just the bolted covers and boost pressure pipes make it a pig of a job on a Xantia!
--