Help, Key in washing machine - Mart
Hi,

I've been a bit of an idiot and managed to put the key for my Mk 4 Golf GTI through the washing machine. The key will now not unlock remotely my cenral locking and disable the alarm. I've taken the key apart, dried it out and fitted new batterys and still no luck. Has anyone got any other ideas??
This is the only key I have and a replacement from VW is about £140 so any hlp would be appreciated. thanks.
Help, Key in washing machine - T-Bod
How long did you dry it out for?
I once dropped my phone in the lake whilst fishing and i thought it was a goner,but it started to work again after i took it to bits and left it to dry in the airing cupboard........it took 2-3 days to dry before it worked again
Cheers, i got it out of the washing machine this morning, so only been drying for a few hours. I'll leave it in the airing cupboard over night.
Did you catch much??
Help, Key in washing machine - T-Bod
Only my phone in time!!!!!
It May take a couple of days to completly dry and try to take it apart as much as possible(without breaking it)and take the batteries out.
Good Luck
Help, Key in washing machine - Dynamic Dave
Thoroughly flush the circuit board with a pcb cleaner to remove any soap/washing power residue, which will, in time possibly eat into the copper tracks. A mild solvent, such as iso prop alcohol should suffice.
Help, Key in washing machine - Peter D
I believe this unit is a random number update type and will have to be re-associated with the vehicle., if it is still working that is. Contact VW and ask for the procedure. Some keys jump back into action if you have the alarm turned off and you hold the key pressed for 5 to 7 seconds, other require the alarm to be reset then the key re-associated with the vehicle. TRy one of the local independant car alrm guys they may be more helpfull. If all else fails do you ahve any no claims to loose on your house insurance. " Accidental Damage " Regards Peter
Help, Key in washing machine - DougB
In similar circumstances, a hairdryer on medium to low setting worked wonders.

Regards DougB.
What a star....just cleaned the bits with Alcohol then done the 7 second reset as Peter suggested. It now works a treat.
Thanks very much for all your advice, cheers Peter, I owe you a pint.!!!
Mart,

Your the second one this month using the 7 secong random number upload, that'l we £140 +vat sir, Thankyou. Nah at least I mand someone happy today. Regards Peter
Soory for the typos I am clearly dyslexic today or is that dslessick Bye
Help, Key in washing machine - eMBe {P}
or you have drunk more than the pint that was on offer.
I wish !!
Help, Key in washing machine - Philiplex
might be worth trying a synthetic wash cycle next time........