Auto Express review of family diesels - Robbie
In this week's Auto Express there is a review of five diesels: Honda Accord; Alfa Romeo 156 JTD Veloce; MB C200 CDI Classic; Ford Mondeo TDCI 130; and BMW 320d ES.

Final ranking:

1) Honda
2) BMW
3) Ford Mondeo
4) Alfa
5) Mercedes

Auto Express review of family diesels - No Do$h
Could be an interesting read. I may pop out and buy the comic this week.

FWIW, on styling I would suggest

1) Alfa
2) Mondeo
3) Mercedes
4) BMW
99) Honda
Auto Express review of family diesels - peterb
And on reliability I would suggest

1) Honda
2) Mondeo
3) BMW
4) Mercedes
99) Alfa

Sorry. Couldn't resist!
I think styles grow on you.

I've grown to like the Accord, but then I've ordered the diesel Tourer, which I think looks very attractive.

Just hope my expectations live up to the reviews.
Auto Express review of family diesels - BB
Let us know how you get on Robbie. I am fed up with VW diesels now and would like a reliable car with a chain cam.

I think the Honda is a great looking car.
Auto Express review of family diesels - MichaelR
The Accord does indeed look nice, but someone was obviously itching to get home when they designed the Tourer.

The side of that is utterly awful - it's just like a flat sheet of steel with windows cut in. No styling at all..
The Accord does indeed look nice, but someone was obviously itching
to get home when they designed the Tourer.
The side of that is utterly awful - it\'s just like
a flat sheet of steel with windows cut in. No styling
at all..

I can\'t agree with that. The side isn\'t flat and the roof has a nice line. Take a look here - if it comes out OK. However, it really is in the eye of the beholder. I went for the 17\" wheels, sacrificing ride, because the 16\" are too small and spoil the appearance.

tinyurl.com/xqng

{Link amended using tinyurl.com } DD.
Auto Express review of family diesels - HectorG
Like you BB I am fed up with VW diesels - far too coarse. The surge of torque when the turbo kicks in is initially tempting but soon irritates when you discover the incredibly narrow power band. Also, the need to change gear all the time with the dreadful 6-speed box on the GT TDi PD soon dampens the early promise.

I am not sure about the design of the Accord Tourer, but full marks for attempting to be a bit different.

For myself, I am ordering a Honda CRV diesel as soon as possible (they are available from May 2004)as I suspect there will be a waiting list!
Auto Express review of family diesels - PR {P}
Alfa diesels are superb. The GF has a 147 JTD and it is a great car. Although people dont think Alfa when they think diesel, the 156 was the first ever to be fitted with a common rail engine (It was invented by Fiat/bosch)
Auto Express review of family diesels - No Do$h
Amen to that. 156JTD is a corking combination of handling and grunt.

Now when I get that remap done I must see if we can meet at a track so I can pit my humble diesel against your GTA......