What's the purpose of side lights? - Stonk
Fine for a parked up car but why use them if you are driving? They don't save on electricity by not using dipped beam. Dipped beam don't dazzle other road users. It seems strange that as dusk falls some drivers will move to side lights before dipped beam when it gets really dark.
Maybe it's a mentality that they think they don't need full lights to see where they are going - so why use them. My problem with them is that dusk (& dawn) light makes cars less visible than people realise, especially certain coloured cars and the use of dipped beam gives other road users greater awareness of your presence.

Side lights should be just used as parking lights.
What's the purpose of side lights? - Nsar
Quite so, a silver/grey car using sidelights at dusk when being followed fairly closely by a car on dipped is almost invisible. You see it most often at dusk when drivers are going towards the fading light, to them the sky is still light, not realising that the cars coming the other way are facing full darkness.
What's the purpose of side lights? - weatherwitch
Flipping heck my new cars silver! I tend to use dipped rather than sidelights but now will definately make sure I'm on dipped. Nsar, thanks for that.
What's the purpose of side lights? - Andrew-T
I suggest that a car with one of each is worse - that can be mistaken for a motorbike. And many drivers take a long time to fix the fault (assuming they are aware of it), judging by the number around.
What's the purpose of side lights? - nickd01
I thought it was better for oncoming drivers at dusk to use sidelights. Better than none at all, yet it doesn't blind oncoming drivers so much as full headlights. Especially in the mornings, when it's a bit murky yet simply doesn't warrant the full onslaught of headlights to the oncoming traffic. Maybe I'm using them wrongly?
Does anyone really get blinded by dipped headlights in dusk/dawn (well, any more than complete darkness)? I think modern cars have better lights these days that no longer dazzle. By modern I mean in the last 20+ years. Sidelights might have been useful on old vintage cars where battery drain or blinding other drivers might have been a problem but by modern standards are unnecessary.

What's the purpose of side lights? - M.M
Don't entirely agree.

There are light/weather conditions where best visibility would be experienced if *all* cars were on sidelamps. It is true though that if some are on dip headlamp the sidelamp cars are harder to see. But is colour really a good reason for not seeing a car??

It's a bit like weaponry, as each side ups his ability so the other side needs to equal it.

For example I drive a car with a pretty weak dip beam. No problem in usual circumstances but meet a car with over high/bright lamps and my visibility is swamped by their brilliance for a few seconds.

Bit like a bike with twin full beam on a dull day, makes it harder to see anything immediately behind it.

M.M

Sorry...agree with nick but not the first 4 posts.

M.M
What's the purpose of side lights? - Flat in Fifth
In principle M.M you are correct however let's consider the implications.

Today the situation is that we can't get some people switching anything on, even position lights (pedant name for side lights ;-) when any sane person would say dipped headlights were necessary.

Equally we get some people who "up the armoury" to weapons of mass destruction, as far as eyesight is concerned.

So at this point EU/UK Govt thinks, hmmm need to regulate this. Suddenly legislation is passed demanding all cars to be fitted with ultra accurate light sensors which switch on position lights / head lights according to ambient light, retrofitting to S1 Landies!! Heaven help us!

OK I'm stretching the point considerably, but the issue is that there really does seem to be a lack of common sense in society today.

Hence the hand held mobile phone law, possibly curing a symptom of a much morer generic illness.

All could be cured by just getting people to join and vote for a new political party. The Common Flipping Sense Party!

PS M.M U have mail need a quick reply pls
Don't widen the debate and get me started FiF.

If we all had old LRs with feeble lights, useless demisters, wipers that don't wipe, fixed seat belts with yards of slack, sharp metal dashboards, filthy back windows you can't see through, zero handling etc...well it would cut down on so many accidents.

The phone thing is so frustrating. I would have used mine in the car from time to time on deserted rural roads at moderate speeds and in relaxed circumstances...and for no more than 30 secs at a time. Yet we have them banned because of the important press-on types who would drive for miles across town and down the motorway at 90 with them planted in their ears for ages. Sorry if business presure makes you one of those.

And the headlight brilliance differential is a serious point. Was followed by something the other week with about ten trillion candlepower headlamps. They were on dip but so bright they cast a sharp shadow of our car on the road and reached past us up the verge, further than my own lamps. On bumps his lights in our mirrors was like lazer eye surgery.

Thanks, you have mail.

M.M
"Sorry if business pressure makes you one of those."

It certainly doesn't and won't, but then I'm just an anti-social old git!

Interesting comment about being followed at night. As you know have HID in Mondeo. Surprising how often a shadow of my car is cast onto road signs by someone following. Still think that dazzle is more about poor alignment or failure to use load adjustment than intensity of light source.

Mind you, guess you're talking about early Xantia lights on dip, and yep I reckon my mountain bike lights [1] are brighter.

Cheers, FiF

[1] Possible Headline in Sun Newspaper
"Shock Horror Probe! Cyclist confesses to having working lights fitted!"
What's the purpose of side lights? - Andrew-T
With you (as nearly always, MM) 100 % . I find it is a dubious advantage to see an oncoming car very clearly if that means I can hardly see anything else. My only recourse may be to switch to full beam to see where I am going, or else stop. Being cynical, I suppose the other driver may think that if I can see him, I won't hit him but something else.

Perhaps it is younger drivers who forget that as eyes age they suffer from more flare, which is most noticeable facing strong lights. Yes, I can see perfectly well to drive, thank you, except under Gestapo interrogation.
What's the purpose of side lights? - greenhey
It's been over 20 years since the regs on lighting became law, making driving on parking lights illegal.
Yet yesterday I drove for about 90 minutes on the M4 in very heavy rain, with a great deal of spray .In the circumstances the correct behaviour was dipped headlights .In fact I would say what I experienced was ...
About 35% dipped headlights
About 25% dipped plus fog lights , some of these rear fog lights too
About 30% parking lights
About 10% no lights at all ,including s metallic grey car doing about 80 in Lane 3, not visible at all until about 25 yards away .
People seem to think it's up to them what to use .
I called the police and suggested they used the (blank) gantry signs to say
Dipped headlights
No foglights
Keep your distance
But they seemed to think that was a radical idea
What's the purpose of side lights? - OldPeculiar
Don't the rear lights stay the same whether you have dipped or side lights on? I personally find that it's the rear lights that make the most difference to me seeing other cars. It's those that drive in spray with poor/no rear lights rather than those that drive with sidelights that I have trouble noticing
Ahh important to know we are all talking about the same thing.

When I refer to sidelamps I mean the lamps that come on when I turn to the first "sidelamp" position on my car. Of course for many years once the engine is running this will be a dim-dip system with the benefit of the full reflector being lit.

"Parking lamps" are only available with the engine off, they are usually small 5W bulbs.

Doesn't the highway code allow the use of dim-dip in the day until visibility falls below 300ft...that is very poor visibility. Also isn't it legal to drive on dim-dip (ie. no headlamps) in town with a 30mph limit and closely spaced streetlamps??

We might need DVD.

M.M
Ahh important to know we are all talking about the same
thing.
When I refer to sidelamps I mean the lamps that come
on when I turn to the first "sidelamp" position on my
car. Of course for many years once the engine is running
this will be a dim-dip system with the benefit of the
full reflector being lit.
"Parking lamps" are only available with the engine off, they are
usually small 5W bulbs.
Doesn't the highway code allow the use of dim-dip in the
day until visibility falls below 300ft...that is very poor visibility. Also
isn't it legal to drive on dim-dip (ie. no headlamps) in
town with a 30mph limit and closely spaced streetlamps??
We might need DVD.
M.M

Ah right! but now that dim dip is no longer required its possible to drive my Mundano on
1) switch off = no lights
2) switch in first click to right = position lights only ie 5w jobbies
3) switch in second click to right = position plus heads

I'll not go into permutations of front and rear fogs lest I be accused of thread hijacking a second time.

Confusingly there is a fourth position which is one click to the left from off. This is the parking light position, ie position lights but no dashboard lights. Yet as soon as the engine is running the lights go off. Seems a strange arrangment to me, ie someone albeit a total numpty could think they had their "side lights" on but in fact have nothing at all lit.

On the dim dip issue, there has been this issue about day time running lights. Lately noticed that a few of the rental cars used in countries where daytime running lights are required 24/7 have what I might call dim/dip plus.

To explain what I mean by dim/dip plus. At first glance it looks like the headlights are on full strength dip, its only when you turn the lights on properly that you realise they were on at about 80% strength, ie brighter than the old glowing red wire dim/dip but definitely not full strength.

Finally at the risk of being Growler-ised (only kidding G!) what about those Lax Power types with the dustbin exhausts who spray black window tint onto their rear lights so brake lights are just about visible yet the position lights are effectively invisible.

FiF
What's the purpose of side lights? - BobbyG
FiF
My Mondeo lights are the same as you describe - but what annoys me is that there is no warning light on the dashboard for your lights. Only when you have either fogs or full beam on do you get a warning light.
Because of this I never use the "side lights" now - just put my headlights on straight away.
FiF
My Mondeo lights are the same as you describe - but
what annoys me is that there is no warning light on
the dashboard for your lights. Only when you have either fogs
or full beam on do you get a warning light.
Because of this I never use the "side lights" now -
just put my headlights on straight away.

Bobby G, Now there's a difference I get a green P when "side lights" (sorry DVD!) are on, nothing extra for dip, but as you say something for main.

Plus the fog light tell tales are hidden away down by the switch right out of sight.

Something else I don't like is that, say you've come home late at night and had main beam on when you switch off. Next time you turn headlights on then you're still on main beam and teh warning light isn't that bright in daylight. Occasionally given next door neighbour a dose of arc-eye when doing the morning check. ooops!
What's the purpose of side lights? - volvod5_dude
My Volvo has dipped beams on all the time, I can't switch the blooming things off. If I put the sidelights on in the day there is no warning sound when you stop the car and get out so if I'm not careful I return to a flat battery - great! So I tend to leave the dipped lights on all the time as they go off when the engine is stopped, this annoys other drivers. It's surprising how often I get flashed in the day by dozy gits who just don't understand the joys of driving a Volvo V70.

VD5D.
What's the purpose of side lights? - P 2501
I think many new or nearly new cars these days have headlights (dipped) that are too bright.I have noticed VW golfs and BMW's seem to be particularly bright, almost to the point that visibility is dangerously reduced
What's the purpose of side lights? - teabelly
I think part of the problem is the differential in brightness in between your lights and those of other vehicles. If you all have dim lights then there isn't much dazzling going on. If everyone has brighter lights then the same is true. I used to find the xenons and such like dazzling but now I have switched to osram silverstars (50% brighter and a better reach for the same wattage) I find that others don't dazzle me anywhere near as much as the relative light levels are closer.

I would particularly recommend the osrams as the light is good and white and doesn't seem to generate the sleepiness/tired eyes effect that some headlights do at night.

teabelly
What's the purpose of side lights? - Hawesy1982
greenhey, the gantry signs on the M25 near the M4 should have also said as you suggested, but instead were taken up with

"THINK
DON'T PHONE
WHILST DRIVING"

However i have gone along the same stretch in appalling conditions, where even 60mph meant a large amount of aquaplaning(seriously), and were the signs lit? No

The traffic flow wasn't that heavy at the time, but were the variable speed limit signs being used? No

Therefore it would be fine to do 79mph in those conditions but not fine to do 90mph in the day in dry summer conditions, apparently
Tea belly - i have switched to brighter headlamps (because one popped and i upgraded in a pair) and these are so bright i often get flashed by other drivers.However, i am still often blinded by certain other types of cars.You said if everyone had bright lights there would be little dazzling, i disagree and think that if everyone had bright lights everyone would be dazzled.except those who like having their retinas burned into the back of their skulls
Whilst I agree that some dipped light are a little too strong this doesn't really justify the use of driving with sidelights in falling light conditions. Surely a really bright zenon light is just as bright at night time too, even moreso.

Also, if I were to claim on an insurance form following an accident in dusk/dawn/bad weather, I would much prefer to put 'dipped beamed headlights' under the "Which vehicle lights were on" section rather than 'sidelights'.
What's the purpose of side lights? - BobbyG
Still on the same subject, quite often I find driving at night on country roads very scary. As other cars approach with their lights on, I find myself making the conscious decision that I need to make sure that I am to the left of his lights but there comes a point as cars are getting closer that his lights blind you and probably vice versa. So for a split second, you are both driving "blind" just making sure you miss the other car.

This is especially bad when the white lines on the road are missing or covered in tractor mud! Also, am I the only person that thinks that white road lines seem to lose their effect and reflective properties when the road is wet?
Exactly right BobbyG. I think you definately do "drive blind" for a split second.so long as its only a split second though...
What's the purpose of side lights? - PhilW
There has been a lot of sense talked above but on the experience of the last few dismal mornings driving to work (actually ALL mornings driving to work are dismal but you get my meaning) it strikes me that even more basic advice is needed:-
Please use ANY lights at all rather than none
Please check your bulbs - amazing how many people have only one head/parking/brake/rear light
Cyclists - since you don't seem to need any lights please wear ANY colour rather than the all over black/dark blue/grey that you usually wear
of course this message will be irrelevant to all back -roomers! You know already!
What's the purpose of side lights? - Mickey Dora
Like Bobby G I drive to work and back on country B roads. The way to drive as the other car approaches with bright lights is to look at the point where the hedge/kerb meets the road as far ahead as your dipped lights will shine. This has the double benefit of picking up any pedestrian or debris at the roadside and also of course, helps prevent the momentary blinding effect of staring at the oncoming car's lights. Naturally driving at a speed to suit the conditions in dark and rain is important.
The way that many of those cars are lit is a well worn topic on this site but an occaisional police crackdown would be most welcome. It can't be that difficult to pull some of the one-eyed-jacks over and issue a ticket
What's the purpose of side lights? - Pugugly {P}
I rather like the BMW 5 solution - the so called Angel Eye effect. Glad to see they have retained it for the new 5. Me ?
Dipped beam every time. UK solution (Dim-dip) was outlawed by the 20 watters in the EU. Now that was a good idea.
What\'s the purpose of side lights? - henry k
Side lights for parking is my answer.
If the light is poor then on with the dips.

Why is it not law that an audible alarm is triggered when ignition started and a lamp has been detected as failed.
You would soon get fed up with sound and get the bulb or whatever changed.
I am sure most are too lazy to check lights regularly so get the magic box to do it preferably with a visual indication of dead bulb. i.e. similar to doors open displays. I am sure some cars must have such a system but fit it on the cheapies aswell.

My old Sierra of dip/dim vintage switches off dips when the ignition is turned off. I like this feature but it has no lights on buzzer when the door is opened.

Fiat UNO well!!!!!
Lights and a bright dash light says so all the time.
Glide to a halt with dips on. Turn off ignition and it turns all the lights off. Very dangerous.
Turn ignition the opposite way and parking lights on. Next time the car is started the sidelights are cancelled. Why the dash is illuminated when parking selected I have no idea.

As for rear fogs, I did like the system that cancelled the each time the ignition was turned off. Again lazy drivers who have no real interest leave them on for days after a bit of mist.
What's the purpose of side lights? - AR-CoolC
As for rear fogs, I did like the system that cancelled
the each time the ignition was turned off. Again lazy drivers who have no real interest leave them on for days after
a bit of mist.

This is the real problem, a rear lamp hat is (IIRC) 10 time brigther that the tail light, illuminated when travelling at 40mph in a line of traffic.
YOU can see the car in front of you perfectly well and they have NO fogs on, so why do you think that I can't see you.

I just seen to spend the whole journey to work being blinded with a red glow because there is a slight mist over the feilds.

Rant over, time for a coffee.
What's the purpose of side lights? - GrumpyOldGit
imo the problem is in calling them side lights. They are parking lights and should only be used as such.

The law is clear - you should be on dipped heads in reduced light. If you drive with only parking lights on you can be done for it. By having them on you are admitting that lights are required, in which case you should be on dipped heads.

All new cars should be built with just a simple lights on / off switch. If the engine is not running the parking lights would be activated by the light switch. If the engine is running, the headlights would be as well. Fog lamps should default to off when the ignition is switched off, as should main beam.

If the car coming towards you has bright lights, try slowing right down and looking at the left-hand kerb. That is where any cyclist or pedestrian is going to be. It will also reduce the time taken for your eyes to readjust after it's passed.

Over-bright headlights, bulbs blown, badly adjusted lights, all mentioned above - more examples of the ridiculously low level of law enforcement in the UK. Sorry if I seem to get an anti-government comment in to everything, but I honestly believe that's where the blame lies.
GOG,

So we know for 100% certain and are not just guessing...

You say... "The law is clear - you should be on dipped heads in reduced light"

Yet I understood the Highway Code allows/advises the use of dim-dip (i.e "sidelamps" on today's cars) in dull daytime weather and at night in built up areas.

M.M

I'm convinced that dipped heads are legally required. Dim-dip may be counted as dipped heads by a court but I don't know that to be the case.

I also don't think dim-dip is the same thing as parking lamps. They brighten when you start the engine, or at least those on my previous car did. They do what I suggest should be done by all manufacturers. Come on automatically with the ignition.

Personally I never drove on dim-dip. imo they don't stand out against dipped heads on other vehicles.

Remember that the highway code is not law, although I would be very surprised if anything printer therein advised anything illegal.
GOG,

>>I also don't think dim-dip is the same thing as parking lamps.

Quite, halfway up the thread I said I was referring to sidelams as the system modern cars have...i.e dim-dip that comes on with the engine so you can't drive on "parking lamps".

Of course 30yrs ago sidelamps were what we would call parking lamps now.

I only *think* I'm right about the Highway Code. I was suprised when I read a wile ago it semed to say you could drive in the dark in town with just "sidelamps/dim-dip".

I'm happy to be corrected if someone has a link to the official info.

M.M
What's the purpose of side lights? - AR-CoolC
Looks like this thread is turning into the next "matts"
M.M. We may be talking at cross-puproses here. My previous car had what I understand to be dim-dip in that if you switched on the parking lights a pair of small sperate front lamps would light. If you then started the engine the headlights would come on but at reduced power. They were brighter than parking lights and bright enough to cast pools of light in front of the car, but nowhere near as bright as dipped heads, and certainly not bright enough to use for driving on an otherwise unlit road.

Many cars don't have dim-dip. They just have the parking lamp inside the headlight housing. Mine for eg has a small bulb inside the main beam lamp of a 4 head system.
OK FiF here, DVD must be buying in more alcoholic fruit juice from Tescbury's.

Answering your questions about dim dip etc.

Ignoring the parking situation which will only complicate matters for the purpose of this discussion.

RVLR 1989 Part III para 24 & 25 tell you what is necessary.

FiF Summary follows:

Position etc lights must be lit between sunrise / sunset (ie night) and reduced visiblity in day ( Requirements about the use of front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, side marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps
24.?(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall-

(a) use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle which is in motion-

(i) between sunset and sunrise, or
(ii) in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset; or
(b) allow to remain at rest, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain at rest, on a road any vehicle between sunset and sunrise

unless every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted is kept lit and unobscured.

(2) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), where a solo motor bicycle is not fitted with a front position lamp, no person shall use it, or cause or permit it to be used, on a road (other than when it is parked) between sunset and sunrise or in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset, unless a headlamp is kept lit and unobscured.

[snipped a large amount about parked vehicles which is where paras 5 & 9 and others come in]

Requirements about the use of headlamps and front fog lamps

25.?(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit-

(a) during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit; and
(b) in seriously reduced visibility.

(2) The provisions of paragraph (1) do not apply-

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle fitted with one obligatory dipped-beam headlamp or a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination fitted with a pair of obligatory dipped-beam headlamps, if a main-beam headlamp or a front fog lamp is kept lit;
(b) in the case of a motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination, fitted with a pair of obligatory dipped-beam headlamps, if-

(i) a pair of main-beam headlamps is kept lit; or
(ii) in seriously reduced visibility, a pair of front fog lamps which is so fitted that the outermost part of the illuminated area of each lamp in the pair is not more than 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle is kept lit;
(c) to a vehicle being drawn by another vehicle;
(d) to a vehicle while being used to propel a snow plough; or
(e) to a vehicle which is parked.

(3) For the purposes of this regulation a headlamp shall not be regarded as lit if its intensity is reduced by a dim-dip device.

Clear?

Amazing! The law allows the use of only parking/side lights if the road has street lights. I stand corrected, but I'll continue to used dipped heads at all times thanks.
What's the purpose of side lights? - Dwight Van Driver
Very illuminating FiF, very illuminating.

From this then Backroomers having taken all this in, then there will be no more infringements of the Lighting Regulations WILL THERE.

DVD
What's the purpose of side lights? - PhilW
"there will be no more infringements of the Lighting Regulations WILL THERE."
Certainly not Sir!!! - I shall drive with dipped beams on at all times, even in summer and I am strongly tempted to leave them on when I put the car in the garage because (from what I read above)it's the only way I will not be in contravention of some regulation some time!!

What's the purpose of side lights? - PoloGirl
Cue one confused Pologirl!!

I don't think I've got sidelights...?

I've got a circular switch - position one puts the lights on, Position 2 makes them brighter and flipping the indicator stalk puts them on full beam. It's always the whole light that is on, not the side of them.

I have to say I think like a Volvo driver and drive with the position 1 lights on all the time - anything to stop big yellow lorries from not seeing me!

What's the purpose of side lights? - Doc
Amazing! The law allows the use of only parking/side lights if
the road has street lights.

That's because you don't need them in urban areas with modern street lights. And certainly not in nose-to-tail traffic jams so common in towns, where all they do is illuminate the bumper in front and cause dazzle in the mirrors.

Headlights are designed to illuminate the road ahead where there is no lighting (eg country lanes) In well-lit towns headlights case glare and their blaze of light can actually mask other vehicles from view.
I shall continue to use headlights where necessary, but will turn them off when appropriate. Many drivers seem unable to find their light control switches and leave their lights blazing away regardless of the circumstances.
What's the purpose of side lights? - L'escargot
At one time, if you were stationary at the head of a queue at traffic lights at crossroads at night the custom was to turn off your dipped beam so as not to unnecessarily strain the eyeballs of the driver who was facing you on the other side of the crossroads. Just common courtesy. No-one seems to bother any more. Blow you Jack I'm alright seems to be the attitude these days.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
What\'s the purpose of side lights? - No Do$h
I\'ve been watching this thread with interest and am amazed that nobody has suggested the obvious solution to errant drivers with their foggies on or insufficient illumination.

1) Go to your nearest motoring discount store
2) Purchase 1gazillion candlepower hand-held lamp.
3) Plug in to ciggy lighter
4) Aim at rear view mirror of numpty with foggies on (hint: You may need to put your \'phone down to do this)
5) Burn their retinas out.

A variation on 4) is to get alongside them on the motorway and light up the right side of their face. You may still need to put your \'phone down to do this.

Until the purchase and use issue of Milan anti-tank missiles in the UK is legalised it\'s the best I can offer. Now, does anyone have the number for Adnan Khashoggi? I promise I won\'t dial it whilst driving.....
What's the purpose of side lights? - Dwight Van Driver
Young FiF and MM.

When I were a lad vehicles had side lights and headlights with dip. Finish. Twer dark then all on.

Now the lights you mention (other than head lamps) have a more fancier name. The powers that be, in their infinite wisdom, give then a specific classification and outline their purpose within the Interpretation section of the Regs dealing with lighting (of which FiF you are very conversant).

Voila:

Front position lamp" A lamp used to indicate the presence and width of a vehicle when viewed from the front.

Rear position lamp" A lamp used to indicate the presence and width of a vehicle when viewed from the rear.

No more side lights.

Matters little to me as long as lights are used.

Just a tip I was told when learning to thump a jam sandwidge around:

On encountering an approaching vehicle with dazzling light DO NOT LOOK AT THE LIGHTS but look beyond them and you will less dazzled.

DVD