Discount new cars - any problems? - depenn
I'm tempted by net deals from such as DC Cook and Drivethedeal for buying a new Mondeo.

Anyone any experience of problems going this sort of route?
Discount new cars - any problems? - Welliesorter
There's a difference between the two: one is a large chain of dealers which also has a direct operation.

The other is (I think) a broker. I bought via a broker (ukcarbroker.co.uk in my case). I had no problems at all, but the broker had very little involvement in the transaction: they just set the price and passed on my details to a dealer.
Discount new cars - any problems? - DavidHM
The best deals on Mondeos (prove me wrong though) seem to be from www.motorprovider.co.uk

I've only ever heard one person comment on having used them on a forum, and that was very positive.

However, always take any recommendation with a pinch of salt, pay any deposit with a credit card so you're protected by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and make sure that all other funds go directly to the supplying dealer.

Without wishing to imply in any way that MP or any other firm is in any way dodgy, this will give you at least the same level of protection as you'd have if you were buying from the local shiny suited dealership.
Discount new cars - any problems? - Welliesorter
...pay
any deposit with a credit card so you're protected by the
Consumer Credit Act 1974 and make sure that all other funds
go directly to the supplying dealer.
Without wishing to imply in any way that MP or any
other firm is in any way dodgy, this will give you
at least the same level of protection as you'd have if
you were buying from the local shiny suited dealership.

The advice regarding credit cards is obviously sound but with the brokers you are buying from a shiny suited dealership, although not necessarily a local one. All the brokers' sites I looked at were at pains to explain that they don't take any money themselves and aren't a party to the transaction.
Discount new cars - any problems? - DavidHM
Agreed; although I looked into buying from drivethedeal.com and they wanted a £500 credit card deposit with the order. This was about 18 months ago and it may have changed since then of course.
Discount new cars - any problems? - depenn
Thanks everyone for the help. I've gone with motorprovider - we''l see what happens