The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Woody
I was driving up the A3 this morning and saw a car approaching from behind that I didn't instantly recognise. I wasn't sure if it was a Mazda or a Toyota, maybe a Xedos or Camry. It then indicated, pulled out to the middle lane and came past me.

What a shock, it was a new BMW 5 Series. What on earth have they done to it?

OK it was one of those mornings where salty spray covered us all and nothing would be too flattered, but heavan help us. Slab sided with some vey awkward looking grooves and angles looking for all the world like spotty youth bolt on eaxtra disasters.

BMW really are loosing the plot aren't they.

The 7 and 5 are hideous, the 3 Compact has the ugliest rear of any car on the road and the X5 looks more pimp-mobil by the week.

Audi must be laughing all the way to the Deutsche Bank.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - DL
Yup, foul looking machine indeedy.

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Adam {P}
I'll agree with that but let's face it, the 5 wasn't exactly the nicest looking car to start with in terms of what Audi were producing. I am a big fan on BM's but I do agree this new one is....ugly. Although I do love the new 7. Come on....look at it....!

The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Dave N
Ha, I thought you were going to say you saw a new Mitsubishi Outlander (outlandish, more like).
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Adam {P}
Don't go cluttering up a BMW thread with your Mitsubishi's!

Lol
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Roger Jones
Bless you.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Burnout2
Nope, IMO the new 5 is a great looking car that works equally well in dark and light metallics. Not as prettily proportioned as the E-class, I admit, but all those interesting creases definitely do something for me - when I see one, I get this worrying urge to run a soapy sponge along its flanks.

Anyway, love or hate, you can't deny it has serious fast-lane road presence - something shared with the 7 and Z4. I can't believe anyone would describe the X5 as ugly; much as I loathe SUVs, as an example of the breed it could hardly be better or more conventionally well-proportioned.

Now the X3 *is* a dog - plain, cheapo looking unpainted bumpers, an (apparently) low-rent cabin, no more able than a car on the rough stuff and all at BM's traditionally ferocious prices. If anyone doubted that profit means more to BMW than brand integrity, this machine is the proof.

The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - blank
Mr Bangle up to his tricks again. Personally I really like the look of the new 5 and whilst the 7 was a bit shocking to begin with I find that I have warmed to it quickly. Flame surfacing I think he has called his challenging styling.

The just-expired 5 series was really rather dull, being pretty obviously derivative of every prior 5 series going back goodness knows how long and I think Bagle and BMW should be congratulated for being a little more adventurous.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Steve S
Love the handling but oh boy, the 5, 7, Z4 and X5 are all pig ugly IMO.

Had they not been BMWs more people would be saying so and the design team would have been put under arrest.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Phoenicks
What is so ugly?? It looks fresh, sharp, good desgin touches, all in proportion.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - joe
Can I stand up for the old shape 5 series? I thought it was beautiful. Not flashy, not eyebrow raising or cutting edge, just clean and classic. Best looking modern saloon of the lot. The new 5 is a step back, looks wise.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Phoenicks

I think the new 5 series is like Kylie Minogue (bear with me on this!)

When she was Charlene in neighbours nearly everyone fancied her. However shes even better as shes got older and now everyone fancies her. Took a while to get used to her new image but now its here to stay. Bit like the new and old 5 series really. Give it time and it'll grow.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - jonesy127 {P}
However unlike Kylie, the new 5s worst feature is it's bottom, IMHO!

It looks like the stylist got board when he came to the boot, so just stuck another car's one on (that's too big)...
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - MichaelR
I also thought the E39 5 Series was a stunning car - it looked fantastic.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Tony N
I agree with the opinion that the out-going models are looking more attractive now the new models have launched.

In the past I think BMW's styling has been very clever, new models always seems to instantly date the old model they replaced while still retaining the family resemblance, the E46 replacing the E36 is a good example - The E36 was a nice looking car during its time but as soon as the E46 was launched it all of a sudden looked square and old fasioned, while the E46 looked fresh and was instantly recognisable as a 3-series.

However, with the new 5 & 7 (and I suspect the new 3 will be the same) the old models actually seem to look BETTER, I saw an outgoing 750i on big dished wheels recently and thought to myself that it looked gorgeous compared to the clumsy new 7 - maybe the new models are way ahead of their time and in 3 years we'll all think they're great, or maybe not....
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Steve S
"I think the new 5 series is like Kylie Minogue (bear with me on this!)"

Oh dear. There was me thinking the slab sided look of the new 5 series had more in common with the new Honda Accord (another design disaster - only this time it's the side view).

Phoenicks, I admire your loyalty but the slab-sided oblongs are not going to replace good curves (on Kylie or BMWs).

The 7 series has been around long enough for a "grow on you" effect and by the look of these posts - it's only grown on a few. I still reckon that, but for the badge, this would have been a sales disaster and, compared to the previous 5 series, it still might be. Judging by those who have gone Merc E class this time I'd say it was very likely, especially if Audi come up with a decent A6.
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - NitroBurner
Well, that's the exterior styling just about covered. What about the interior?

Horrible dashboard & instruments I think. HUD prob pretty good though!
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - 8 ball
Well, that's the exterior styling just about covered. What about the interior?

>>Horrible dashboard & instruments I think. HUD prob pretty good though!

I haven't seen the HUD in the flesh but it sounds excellent. BMW has taken vehicles further with the technology in this model, I think. But I couldn't agree more about the ugly dash and instruments. One could have easily forgiven the exterior looks (expected it to grow on you, as it were) but coupled with this interior.......I don't think so. After all, it's an awful lot of money they're asking.
8 ball
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - Dude - {P}
I think the ugly stick is a very apt description of Chris Bangle`s lack-of-styling pencil. To me his designs are hideous and will surely lose BMW many sales.

I understand that BeeM dealers have started canvassing E39 5 series owners with the offer of extended test drives of the new model, which to me is an indication of their drop off in sales volumes and wreaks of desperation. Lets face it the sight of a new E60 is almost as rare on our roads as kangaroo poo. !!!!

For certain if the next 3 series is bungled in the same manner, I will not remain loyal to the blue prop when I come to change my E46 touring.!!!
]
The Ugly Stick Strikes Again - borasport20
Ugly stick - there's a whole ugly woodyard, and the Chrysler Crossfire I saw this morning has driven straight out of it.

Bora - what Bora ?