Rover Metro 1.1s - Steve B
Hi, Can anyone help/advise me here. My wife has a 1994 (L) metro 1.1s, over the past few years, we have been experiencing problems of not starting, the engine turns over ok, the strange thing is this, it only happens when the car has been driven for a while, then stops (engine off) my wife then goes into a shop lets say, comes out and it will not start, she waits an hour and it then starts ok.( she has to make sure she only stops the car once on any journey.
She has called out mechanics but none of them can find any faults, we have put it into a garage but again no faults found. The last time it happened i changed the distributer cap and rotor arm, it appeared to rectify the problem as she never experienced this for months, until the last time, i replaced them again but this time it has made no difference. Has anyone experienced this??? you would make me a very happy man and gain some brownie points with the other half.
SteveB
Rover Metro 1.1s - Civic8
A similar problem exists on the rover 2/400 series.But as I have not been able to correct myself I am not certain of what is causing it.But have an idea that the fuel pump relay may be the cause.I don`t know the metro but assume it is single point injection.there is a problem which is similar in that you can stop get back into car try starting and it won`t go.I do know a couple of people that have this problem but I did not want to go through usual methods of fault finding as with this fault it is not the usuall fault and as yet no garage has yet found out why but I am working on it as it affect`s me I have a 414i doe`s it
Tiss a pain I had the same prob friday 29th nov still don`t know why.Am still working on it.I am a mechanic not a tech forgive me if wrong here but tech`s are not as good as trained mechanics I spent a lot of time working on probs like this.but this is a big prob on rover`s of this group.maybe there is someone that knows what is causing this problem
Rover Metro 1.1s - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Steve,

You really need to establish, when the car non-starts, if there is a spark from the coil. Check this by connecting a spark plug to the distributor cap end of the main HT lead and connecting the body of the plug to earth. If you have a spark, and you have already changed the cap + rotor then it does look like a fuel problem. Pump or pump relay is possible, a faulty injector, or even an ECU problem.

If there is no spark check for power to coil (battery voltage with ign on). Next suspect would be the Crank Angle Sensor (fitted into the clutch housing from the engine side behind the block). This can be checked for resistance, but checking for a signal requires an oscilloscope. As it is a very common problem I would tend to replace it anyway where the problem is intermittent and no other faults have been found in previous tests. Cost is approx £25 + VAT from Rover - fiddly job to fit though !

Regards, Adam
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.
I agree with the electrix ie ht side.but a fuel injector out won`t stop it starting.I know someone that replaced the ecu only
to find the problem still there.I still have problems with mine but due to finances cannot afford a new relay for fuel pump.and I will give it a christmas present by replacing.A diagnostics will only pick up the problem if it is there during the diagnostic`s.on a rover anyway but before you say it the mg`s have a memory and so do the 75`s on ecu.I would be pleased to hear if anyone know`s any different and will stand me corrected
Rover Metro 1.1s - Robin the Technician
Hi Steve,
Not sure about the distributor in this car but i think it has an igniter fitted to the side. If it does, check the plug has a good contact (re-fit using vaseline). Also, on the nearside under the bonnet find the main haness and look for some harness plugs. I've had problems with these in the past and was cured by undoing and reconnecting a few times. Again use vaseline to ensure a good connection. You may push some vaseline into the back of the connectors too- I've known water to get in and cause the same problem. If none of the above fixes the problem, I suggest changing the igniter on the distributor. It's easy as its held on by 2 bolts.

Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Rover Metro 1.1s - Doc
strange thing is this, it only happens when the car has
been driven for a while, then stops (engine off) my wife
then goes into a shop lets say, comes out and it
will not start, she waits an hour and it then starts
ok.( she has to make sure she only stops the car
once on any journey.
She has called out mechanics but none of them can find
any faults, we have put it into a garage but again
no faults found.

Another possibility is the immobiliser.

This is factory-fitted on this model.
The fault would not be present when investigated at a garage,if this were the problem.
Intermittent faults are the hardest to cure!

Rover Metro 1.1s - Sooty Tailpipes
Probably a dry solder joint in something like the fuel pump relay.
You would need to find it, identify the pinouts witha wiring diagam, and hotwire it to see if the problem goes.
Rover Metro 1.1s - king arthur
Sounds like a hot starting problem to me. I had a similar problem on a 1.6 Montego many moons ago - if it was neither hot nor cold, it would often not start, and to get it started I would pull the plug off the temperature sender and short the terminals, thus fooling the ECU into thinking the engine was hot, then it would start. Not sure if this problem also relates to the Metro ECU though.
Rover Metro 1.1s - DL
Crankshaft Sensor

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Rover Metro 1.1s - king arthur
I was just about to say that, honest!
Rover Metro 1.1s - DL
Come on Tom, I expect a better excuse than that!

Next time, huh? ;-)

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Rover Metro 1.1s - Doc
Steve, have you sorted it yet?