Traffic Cops - Victorbox
In last night's Traffic Cops on the BBC, I noted that the un-taxed J reg Cavalier and the H reg VW (Polo?) which were confiscated by the police were said to have been sent to be crushed. Both vehicles appeared to be in reasonable condition. Are all confiscated cars crushed as a matter of course, or was this used for dramatic effect in the programme and in fact only unsafe cars are crushed?
Traffic Cops - Vin {P}
Perhaps a couple of hundred quid wouldn't defray the cost of selling the things.

I was horrified that 1 in 3 drivers in Sheffield's estates are uninsured. I'm sure it's the same in most cities, so there must be dozens of uninsured accidents daily.

I enjoyed the programme greatly, and was impressed that the copper in Barnsley investigated a car because it basically didn't look right to him, checked the PNC and became even more suspicious, then ended up stopping what turned out to be a group of drug toting scrotes.

In Sheffield, another stopped a car for the fact that no-one in it was wearing a seatbelt; turns out it was untaxed and uninsured.

This programme was proof that what we need on our roads is more Policemen using their brains rather than unintelligent machines that have no judgment (and no, that isn't an anti scamera rant, it's a pro-Police rant). A few more traffic police might well begin seriously to affect the number of accidents in the UK, along with the number of uninsured, untaxed, banned drivers on the road.

V
Traffic Cops - Mark (RLBS)
Vin,

I agree completely.

Sadly, some years ago, politicians in this country decided that the price of policing was the only metric that truly mattered.
Traffic Cops - daveyjp
I remember seeing one of these programmes, but based in London. The police had registration recognition on board to search out non taxed, non insured, generally dodgy vehicles. When operating the police estimated they had just cause to stop 1 in 10 of the vehicles it checked! As on last night's programme pulling what appears to be a dodgy vehicle usually leads to numerous other offences being unearthed.
Traffic Cops - CM
I agree and think that we should become very draconian about this and scrap all cars that are untaxed/uninsured (say after a period of 30 days). I think that the Government should employ some extra police for just this. I am sure that the increased take up of getting cars taxed would pay for them.

Can you imagine what the roads would be like with 10-30% less cars!!

Why should the law abidding amongst us have to pay for the others. It is not a given right that you can drive, and like most people it is a big expense which has to be worked and budgeted for.

Traffic Cops - Flat in Fifth
I remember seeing one of these programmes, but based in London.
The police had registration recognition on board to search out
non taxed, non insured, generally dodgy vehicles. When operating the
police estimated they had just cause to stop 1 in 10
of the vehicles it checked! As on last night's programme
pulling what appears to be a dodgy vehicle usually leads to
numerous other offences being unearthed.

Almost exactly the point I was trying to make in Fullchat's non pursuit thread.

Also of interest is that increasingly there is a link to the driver's license register which opens up even more cans of worms apparently. For example "So exactly when and where did you pass your driving test Mr Scrote?" and then the hole digging starts.

Proper police! Properly resourced but backed up by a sensible criminal justice system!

Incidentally on that programme last night what does anyone have to comment about the police doctor refusing to allow blood to be taken from the guy hung out on amphetamines? Fit to drive? I don't think so!
Traffic Cops - terryb
Incidentally on that programme last night what does anyone have to
comment about the police doctor refusing to allow blood to be
taken from the guy hung out on amphetamines? Fit to drive?
I don't think so!

I agree that was rather glossed over but they had plenty of other stuff to keep him off the streets.

I also thought the youth (who it seemed shared the only family brain cell with his mother and neither knew whose turn it was to use it) who claimed to have bought the car that day despite being disqualified got off lightly. After all, the car was uninsured and untaxed so should, according to the other cases shown, have been taken and crushed too.

All in all I agree the programme was a strong case for proper policemen doing a proper job. We need more of these and fewer scameras - which don't work with unregistered cars anyway.

Terry
Traffic Cops - martint123
Further to this and the Humberside pursuit policy - in todays local rag := tinyurl.com/vps2 (more in the paper than the web site)

Hull: Nearly 200 illegal vehicles are heading for the crusher after a road tax blitz in the city.

Officials say the two-week clampdown on untaxed and abandoned vehicles in three areas of the city earlier this month was an amazing success.

They are now considering applying for new powers to impound and crush untaxed vehicles all year round.

The campaign, called Operation Cubit, was the first of its kind in Hull and saw 20 vehicles a day removed from the streets.

Over a fortnight, officials from the DVLA, Humberside Police and Hull City Council joined forces to target vehicles in around the city.

Mentioned in the paper was one street where of 16 cars, only one was taxed.

Traffic Cops - Fullchat
And believe you me 200 is only the tip of the iceberg!!!!!!!!

Terryb loved the comment about the shared braincell!!!!!! Wasnt the truth cell though was it?

Fullchat