bouncing rev counter - Golf GTD - dieselfreak
my j plate MK2 diesel golf GTD rev counter needle has started to bounce from the rev reading down to zero and back up again, regardless of what speed or gear the car is in, and regardless of what I do with the accelerator pedal. Even does it when on motorway at a constant speed. No loss of power that I can feel when the rev counter goes down, any ideas ??? I cannot stop watching for it to happen... Great site by the way
bouncing rev counter - Golf GTD - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Most diesel rev counters are sensed off the alternator, so have a good look for any bad connections to alternator and associated wiring, and also make sure drive belt is correctly tensioned and in good condition. After that you probably need to check wiring on back of dshboard itself.

Regards, Adam
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.
bouncing rev counter - Golf GTD - solara
Not sure about golfs, but on my 306 diesel the tacho is driven by a signal from the crankshaft sensor.
bouncing rev counter - Golf GTD - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Could well be the case Solara, but on a 'J' I am not sure which system this one will have.

Regards, Adam
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.
bouncing rev counter - Golf GTD - Big Vern
Get some new brushes for your alternator, they are cheap enough that its not worth putting the old ones back in when you take them out to inspect them. That sorted a similar problem I had with a R19 TD.