Long term investment - Malcolm
As i mentioned in an earlier message i will in 3 weeks time be taking delivery of a new honda civic aerodeck 1.6 se ,as i hold on to my cars long term as long as they behave themselves(my wifes 1992 1.5 lsi has only had a new radiator fitted as well as the normal service items in 147000 miles) i would appreciate any tips on how to treat my investment over possibly the next 10 years from day one please.
RE: Long term investment - Hugh Bourn
Please do not confuse any new car with an investment - it is a money pit, pure and simple. The sooner we all realise this the happier we will be!
To answer your question, change the oil frequently, Use a good non-franchised garage (no worries about service history if you are keeping it forever) and try not to drive into anything!
Oh how true that is! - Mark
A money pit. Or more accurately, a bottomless money pit!

Since when has any car (excluding classics!) actually appreciated in value?

This is why I never spend much money on a car, the cheaper it is to start off with the less it devalues! :)
Re: Oh how true that is! - Malcolm
Did you seriously think I meant investment!!!!!!
Re: Oh how true that is! - Mark
Well, a car is an investment, just a bad one financially. Good investment in terms of time saved over using public transport though.

My comment was really meant to be just a general remark about how bad a car can be for ones finances.
Re: Oh how true that is! - Tristan Chaize
Talking about a bottomless pit. Try a yacht!