Ford Auto Gear Box - ndbw
Looking at a parked 03 Focus this morning noticed that the Auto lever gate only showed P R N D 2 1 ,does this mean it only has four speeds ?.Could not find the answer in car by car breakdown so over to the forum please.
Sorry folks what I meant to say was does this mean it only has 3speeds I have since posting my original, visited the Ford website and the do not state how many speeds the auto focus has.

ndbw
Ford Auto Gear Box - Dynamic Dave
If it only had P R N D 2 1, then that indicates it has only three forward gears; 1, 2, and D - which is 3rd. My auto Vectra has P R N D 3 2 1, which has 4 forward gears.
Ford Auto Gear Box - henry k
Haynes says 4 speed with switch on selector head to switch 4th O/D in or out. Says only available on the 1.6.
I have driven the following with the same arrangement on Corolla, Camry and I think Megane Scenic.
The switch is most useful to instantly change down from 4 to 3 without any kickdown required.
Ford Auto Gear Box - Aprilia
They call 4th gear 'overdrive' - it is switched in/out by a small swith on the gear selector knob. So yes, there are four gears.
Says only available on the 1.6.

What I intended to say was that according to Haynes, an auto box is only available on the 1.6 version of the Focus.
Not sure if this still applies to the face lifted version.
Thanks Dynamic Dave thats what I thought though was unable as I said to confirm it,I too have a Vectra Auto with four speeds and of course the sports button which means it holds each gear befors changing up and does not go into 4th until around 90mph,I was told that the earlier Cavalier did not change into top at all in sports mode.Again Vauxhall do not give much information on what I expect you will agree,not forgetting the other button which locks the box in 3rd for starting in slippery conditions is one of the best boxes on mid range cars.

To those who say the Ford has a button to give an overdrive as 4th gear this still seems to make it a 3speed auto as 4th has to be manually selected

ndbw
Ford Auto Gear Box - Dynamic Dave
I was told that the earlier Cavalier did not change into top
at all in sports mode....

I had one (2.0 litre Diplomat) and it did, but I can't remember the speed at which it did it.
Ford Auto Gear Box - RogerL
The handbooks for the auto Cavaliers I had, '90, '92 and '95, all stated that 4th was locked out in Sport mode but they all went back to 4th in some circumstances. The Winter mode (3rd gear for starting) is brilliant - I can tow a caravan off wet grass without wheelspin with this, like a basic traction control.
To those who say the Ford has a button to give
an overdrive as 4th gear this still seems to make it
a 3speed auto as 4th has to be manually selected
ndbw

>>
Let me try again. The Focus autobox has 4 gears.
Select D and it will go 1,2,3,4 automatically just like any other 4 speed autobox I have driven.
If you are cruising in 4th and press said button it will switch 4th gear off and give you 3rd gear. If you carry on cruising in this situation and press said button again it will change up automatically into 4th.
They choose to sign it O/D and that is what appears on the dash display.

I have driven several thousand miles in Corollas and Camrys with the same type of gearbox. It is a simple system that works well.

It lacks the ability to go 1,2,3,4 just using the selector on the floor. It does not prevent the driver using this sequence but the button has to be used in conjuction with the selector.

It is so so simple, precise and safe to drop from 4th to 3th without fiddling with the selector and no kickdown action is required. You just rest your hand on the selector and press the little button under the head.