What a grand place this is - Colin Standing
Thanks to you all - Darcy, Andy, Piers, Ash, David x 2, HJ, Chris (Yes, Chris) x 3 and Ben. Replies (re discs and pads) were very helpful and it seems clear that 45 weeks p.a of doing nothing and 7 of pottering mainly on motorways is a major cause.

What the good burghers of Lakeland are going to make of me razzing up Hardknott Pass, brakes aflame, in a 2lt two ton van remains to be seen, but if it burnishes up the discs so be it.

Thanks again fellas and happy motoring

Colin Standing
Reservations on what a grand place this is - David Woollard
Colin,

Noted you were including CWs replies in your thanks. If that was because he makes you laugh with the absurdity of his comments that's OK, join the club.

But if you or any other visitor read those comments as facts bear in mind he is only an MOT tester in his own virtual "wind-up" world.

I would hate others to judge a proper MOT by these comments, the procedures he mentions are not part of a normal MOT. An MOT is a mainly observational check without "invasive" operations. Timing of an MOT test doesn't depend on the owner asking for a quick test or a proper check.

David
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - chris watson
the people who want mot's, say that they want a quick mot (this is usually a dealer), or a long mot (these are the general public). and i am NOT a virtual mot tester, i am real.

also if you ever come to the north east, look for the mechanics called 'keep it reliable', as i am the owner of the business.
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - Matt Kelly
I didn't realise that there are two levels of MOT - should I therefore regard an MOT on a car from a dealer as less reliable than an MOT on a car from someone outside the motor trade, because I'm sure the certificates look the same.

Not that an MOT is the be all & end all of a car's suitability.
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - chris watson
i do a quick mot for dealers who just want to sell the car, and dont care about the safety aspect.
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - vin
"Keep it Reliable" is not in the Yellow Pages anywhere in the UK.

"Keep it Fictional" might be, of course.

Vin
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - Darcy Kitchin
Nor on BT.com directory enquiries for Newcastle
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - Ash Phillips
Are you surprised?
Re: Reservations on what a grand place this is - christopher watson
i am just starting with the name 'keep it reliable', i will be started in the middle of october.