Overheated Rover 214 - Help! - Reg the Rover
Can anyone help? - Drove my Rover 214Sli 91 H reg 100K miles and there was no heat from the heater. Checked the temp gauge and it was off the top of the scale! Thinking that it was about to seize I had to drive 1/4 mile to a safe lay-by so I popped the bonnet and immediatly the the heater started pumping hot air and the guauge dropped back to normal! So I got home ok, most of the water was gone, but there is no sign of any water loss. Left it for an hour, refilled the water and run it up to temp. Still cannot find any water leaks, drips or weeps anywhere - everything is tight and dry. However, the exhaust seems 'steamy' so is it the head gasket even though there is 'mayonaise' in the oil filler? It's on its second head gasket as the first one went at 55K about 4 years ago. Car runs perfectly. If it is the head gasket whats it going to cost I'm in the New Forest
Overheated Rover 214 - Help! - Civic8
Rover 214/414/ have a problem to do with radiator not saying that is the cause.They get blocked at the top and so prevent cooling properly.Is also can be caused by head gasket which would account for steamy exhaust and water mixted with oil maybe worth getting head skimmed assuming not done before if so as an H reg poss recon unit.As it can only be skimmed so far.I have no doubt I will be corrected on this but I think it is 20 thousands of an inch.whether you think it is worth it is up to you.I have owned rovers for over 15 years no problem but then I am a mechanic let me know how you get on
Hi mech1 - many thanks for your help. The engine is original as the car has been in the family for 10 years. Drove the car today for 8 miles, had heater, temp guage stayed 'normal' and the exhauast is not steamy! How do I check the radiator? I've been told that I'm looking at £500+VAT to do the head gasket so I'll probably scrap it at that cost.
Check the water in header tank if there is oil in it you will see it.As for the radiator you should be able to get a new one at reasonable cost but as it is`nt leeking chances of finding out if blocked at the top or anywhere else are remote.They can be tested but not for blockage only for leakage.before going mad replace thermostat.It is simple to do.as for steamy exhaust that may be down to change in weather.Mayonaise in the filler could be a sign of head gasket but knowing the rover I would try changing the thermostat first.I had that with my 420 gsi it was under warranty at the time kept overheating head gasket was replaced by garage.But was never road tested afterwards I got it back still the same.So I replaced the thermostat it was fine that was nearly 2 years ago.I sold it 2 months ago being a 2 litre got too expensive to run.I now have 414i brilliant car hope this helps good luck
Overheated Rover 214 - Help! - DL
Hey - did you say the thermostat on the 214 16v is easy to replace??
You might want to try fitting one....not the easiest!

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
As a matter of interest.Have you cheched around both drivers side and passenger footwell for dampness it is a long shot but sometimes the heater matrix leaks.Just a thought.As for the thermostat replacement being easy.I apologise.I was thinking of the 2 litre when writing
Update - The garage did a head gasket test today and could not find anything wrong - no gases in the water etc. - they did suggest that the radiator looked poor - so could it have been a temporary blockage in that?
I assume from what you have said you had a compression test done
and all is well.what you need to do is use the car for a while
but would say as the thermostat has been overheated replace it.unless this has already been done.you may find after that as right as rain.let me know
Hopefully they replaced the thermostat when the head was off? It's an easy job then!

--
If it has been done then there is no need to replace it.try running it without driving it keep an eye on the temp guage untill the radiator fan comes in.keep it running the fan will cut out once the water has cooled.keep it running when the fan comes in a second time and then cuts out when temp has dropped to normal then there should not be anything wrong and all is well hope it`s cured let me know
The thermostat was not changed so I'll think about doing that. It's now a week since I had the trouble and so far its not re-occurred and there has been no loss of water from the system. The water level has not changed from where it settled to now on Friday last week. Makes me think that it was maybe just a temporary blockage in the radiator -?
it is something that is normally done after an overheating problem.As a precaution I would change it.But that is up to you.On what I said about it being easy it may be a problem to do but will be worth doing.as you haven`t had a problem it may well have sorted itself out.But what actually caused it is still unknown.as you know
Must have been an airlock

--