Spray Lubricant. - AZ
I know this subject may have been on before,but which spray lubricant do BR recommend,for good lubricating properties on door hinges etc. wd40 has its uses,but tends to dry out rapidly.
Spray Lubricant. - Cliff Pope
I\'m sure someone else will mention this, but WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a water-dispersal agent (WD) and is said to last for 40 hours. It is good for penetrating jammed-up or rusty mechanisms, and gives a certain amount of initial lubrication. As a penetrant other people swear by PBlaster, Duck Oil, or just diesel fuel.
For lubricating things like door hinges, throttle pivots etc I don\'t think you can beat a can of good old 3-in-one.
Spray Lubricant. - M.M
In agreement with Cliff again. WD40 and the like are really only for freeing stuff.

I find a semi-synthetic 10/40 in a trigger can best for door hinges. Hate that spray on white grease that many dealers use. It makes a mess and doesn\'t penetrate the actual pivot pin.

M.M
Spray Lubricant. - Sooty Tailpipes
use WD40 or similar to clean/flush out hinges and lockss etc... and Holts Motocycle Chain Lube (from Halfords motorcycle section) to lubricate. This is a very tenacious green grease which comes out as a boiling liquid through a straw, as it is dissolved in a very low boiling point solvent which evapourates in seconds leaving the grease set into all the crevices. It's very resistant to running down doors or dripping. It's in a black and gold qerosol, but any motorbike shop will have a similar product.
Spray Lubricant. - L'escargot
use WD40 or similar to clean/flush out hinges and lockss
etc... and Holts Motocycle Chain Lube (from Halfords motorcycle section) to
lubricate.
It's very resistant
to running down doors or dripping. It's in a black and
gold qerosol, but any motorbike shop will have a similar product.

Sounds just the job for the drive screw of my garage door opener ~ everything else I've tried drips onto the roof of my car.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Spray Lubricant. - Marcos{P}
I use Interflon Fin grease. Look up interflon on the web. It is brilliant stuff but costs about £10 for 300ml. It contains teflon and appears to be used in the aircraft industry,
Spray Lubricant. - Andrew-T
The stuff I have is SG85 (SG=spray grease?), contains PTFE and cost £3 for a 200ml aerosol. I presume the white stain is partly due to PTFE, and I agree it looks a bit untidy, but the excess can be wiped away, can't it? At least it is easy to get in the right place - certainly sorted daughter's Punto's graunchy door hinges.
Spray Lubricant. - John S
MM

Yes, why do they do that? Ghastly stuff! I can only assume it's a visible indication that they have 'worked' on the car.

I've used 'Spray grease' on hinges etc - can only be described as going on like fairly thin oil, which appears to penetrate, and then allegedly evaporates to leave a greasy film. Seems to work, and you can wipe off the excess so the car looks tidy. I've used it successfully in tight locks too with no apparent ill effects.

Regards
john S
Spray Lubricant. - ianhad
There is a spray with both PTFE AND Silicon. Got to be slippery. From Maplins I believe.
Spray Lubricant. - Ian D
A local motor shop to me keeps aerosols of 'white grease for hinges and locks'. I suspect but don't know that it is like white chain grease.
Spray Lubricant. - SjB {P}
Ever wondered why WD-40 is called WD-40?
From my engineering studies, yonks ago, this is what I recall:

In the early fifties, a chemist by the name of Norm Larsen, employed by the Rocket Chemical Company, was trying to find a brew for the aerospace industry to use that prevented rust. The principle he was working to was to prevent rust by displacing water. He succeeded at his fortieth attempt, hence 'Water Dispersant Forty', or WD-40. The product has been on sale to the general public since 1958.
Spray Lubricant. - J Bonington Jagworth
Ever wondered why WD-40 is called WD-40?

I was told it was because it 'Will Do 40' things! Indeed, the early packaging said as much, although of course they may have hung the phrase on an existing acronym.

FWIW, I find Duck Oil an effective substitute, with much better durability. Otherwise, aerosol chain oil is the thing - you can even use it to extend the life of CV joints, by making a small hole in the boot and squirting it into the joint through the supplied tube...
-------------------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Spray Lubricant. - chris p crisps ©
wd40 was indeed namned after the 40th attempt at its formulation and as water disspersant, it has its own web pages ,one of them is here:
www.twbc.org/wd40.htm , also good for rhumatic joints I am
reliably told.
chris
Spray Lubricant. - No Do$h
Otherwise, aerosol chain oil is the thing - you can
even use it to extend the life of CV joints, by
making a small hole in the boot and squirting it into
the joint through the supplied tube...

Now that's a tip worth sharing!
Illegitimi non carborundum!

No, I won't let them wear me down either, despite their repeated efforts..... ;o)