A car for me mum... - andyw
Mum wants to change her car. Spending £6-7k. Wants a reliable, mid-size 5 door hatch. I've said Focus (of which i have heard great things), but Astras seem to be much, much cheaper - basically for the same money you get a 1 year old car instead of 2 years - worth it? Anything else to look at?

Thanks
A car for me mum... - mark999
Try an Almera, not too exciting but reliable. Also consider going smaller there are some excellent deals on the Yaris at present.
A car for me mum... - andyw
Got to get golf clubs in - so mid-size is the need really - thanks for the tip on the Almera - I'll have a gander.
A car for me mum... - LongDriver {P}
Does she want to spend £6-7k including trade-in? or plus trade-in?

£8500 will get you an 03 plate new shape Vectra with about 8-10k miles on. Cheap as chips as that orange bloke says.

.../me retreats to wait for the explosion of a new Vectra thread....

A car for me mum... - Mattster
What about a Honda Civic - reliable as chips.

Or a Seat Leon - cool as chips.

Or, of course, the Toyota Corolla - all round satisfying as chips.
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
A car for me mum... - NowWheels
What about a Honda Civic - reliable as chips.
Or a Seat Leon - cool as chips.
Or, of course, the Toyota Corolla - all round satisfying as
chips.
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.

Please can I just have the chips?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase

(I wouldn't mind a new car too, but the chips sound very tempting)

-- Claire
A car for me mum... - Monaro
I would go with whoever said the Almera. For about £7020 you can get one with Air Con and CD Brand new from the newcardiscount (see HJ's best deals). And take a grand off for a year old. Even the dealers are discounting them. And they just topped some reliabilty survey.
Top value.

Otherwise, would a Honda Jazz fit the clubs in with the back seat folded up? Or does she want them hidden from prying eyes?
Or a new Leon at £10000 might have depreciated enough after a year. And the Civics and Corollas have some cheap special editions. which nearly new might have depreciated enough. The Alan Day group have Civic 1.4S at a tad under 8 grand. Agaiun in HJ's deals.

Paul C
A car for me mum... - No Do$h
My mum has had an Almera for two years now. Whilst not my cup of tea, it is cracking value, drives predictably and will take golf-clubs (a pre-requisite for my mum). Get yourself down to a Nissan dealer for a test drive with your mum and take it from there. Mentioning the prices available on here may just get you a good deal with a local dealer.