323i E46 2000 model transmission light - SjB {P}
Helping a colleague at work here, so no posts about 306 Sedans or V70s for a change!

The gearbox warning light on his 96k miles 2000 model BMW E46 323i has started to occasionally come on. When it comes on, it stays on until the ignition is reset.

BMW diagnostic computer reads an error code for 'Anti Spin Control', but nothing about the gearbox.

Before he starts handing over ££££££s, does this model have any known gearbox or electrical gremlins please, that could be causing his problem?

Many thanks
323i E46 2000 model transmission light - Aprilia
This is, I believe, the ASR system (Anti-Schlupf Regelung - anti wheel-spin regulation) - it is a kind of traction control to limit wheelspin on acceleration.
Before he takes it to a dealer, check that the wheels and tyres are all the same size spec. and are the same diameter. This system can be upset by, for example, having once tyre a lot more worn than another. If memory serves me, the tyre diameters shold be within 5mm of each other.
323i E46 2000 model transmission light - SjB {P}
Thanks Aprilia.
Will ask him to check this out.
323i E46 2000 model transmission light - Aprilia
I did read an amusing care of where a dealer spent about £5000 trying to extinguish the ASR light on a MB E-class. Eventually someone spotted that one of the rear tyres was a different profile to the other!