getting insurance after chipping 75 - jIIspb
has anyone had a rover 75 cdt chipped and got insurance, no insurance will touch me and i've only got an sp30 (like most)
i have told them that it will not be f1 performace just enhancing the drive ability...
help...
getting insurance after chipping 75 - mark999
Try Liverpool Victoria - no additional charge for my chipping my VW Caravelle.
Tesco were also ok about the chip but more expensive
Thanks for that, did you tell them that it was a re chip or re mapping, how did you get the information over to them?
getting insurance after chipping 75 - Dizzy {P}
Is this the official Rover-authorised chipping? I specified the Rover chip when I bought my CDT (new) and had no trouble at all in insuring the car with More-Than. They recorded the car on my documents as a CDTi as this suited their system and they added a note to their computer database to show that it was in fact a chipped CDT.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - mark999
Hi,
rechipping or remapping is essentially the same as the engine
management programme is contained on an EEprom that can be deleted and reprogrammed.
Liverpool Victoria class chipping as carburetter/engine modification. I just told them that the engine management had been chipped.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - No Do$h
Try Liverpool Victoria - no additional charge for my chipping my
VW Caravelle.
Tesco were also ok about the chip but more expensive

Agree with that one. 01202 292333

I had a PSi Powerchip added to my 156 JTD. I explained the spec, the increase in bhp and torque and after a brief hold whilst it was referred got confirmation of no loading and a new policy document confirming the mods in the post.

Liv Vic have moved away from manual underwriting on a number of common "non-standard" issues, including the chipping of many mainstream turbo diesels.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - Algernon
I have a "modern classic" policy through Aon with Royal and Sun Alliance and they were perfectly happy about a Superchip; as they should be, getting 25% extra for very little extra risk.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - Aprilia
Slightly off-topic - a motor trade contact tells me that in the event of an accident to 'sportier type cars' some insurers are now asking for the ECU to be removed and 'inspected' for 'undisclosed modifications'.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - 3500S
I've got the same chip, same car and engine complete with XPower letter confirming a manufacturer fit. The problem is some insurance companies do not have it listed on the manufacturer approved options list. One insurance representative said flatly that they couldn't quote me. I stuck to my guns and she put me through to the supervisor and he then spoke to the underwriters.

The underwriters had it listed and then confirmed it was Ok. The supervisor then said it simply wasn't on their update list from MGR and he quoted me, the premium was no different.

The problem stems that the chip upgrade offers more than a 10% performance improvement.

Some other insurers do simply refuse to cover you though.

Speak to Norwich Union Direct, they always give me the most competitive quote and they recognise the chip upgrade straight away, no hassles, no fuss and excellent service.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - Mark (RLBS)
As 3500S says, and goodness knows I've said it often enough, for something non-standard you need to get to the underwriters.

The brokers, salesmen, call centre staff etc. etc. neither know enough nor have the authority. They quote from a book and outside the book is simply "no quote" or a ridiculous loading.
getting insurance after chipping 75 - Clanger
A few years ago (before the existence of the BR) I toyed with idea of getting a Van Aaken conversion to up the Synergie's savage 90bhp to a tarmac-ripping white-knuckle 105bhp ish. Despite the fact the Synergie was then available with a 130bhp petrol engine in exactly the same chassis, I was told by my broker that I couldn't have a quote until the mods had been done and I had paid for a full engineers report. That would have left me in a rather weak bargaining position so I never took it any further.

So, as Mark and 3500s say, talk to the underwriters, something which never occurred to me at the time.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
to 3500s..
i have been on the phone arguing with norwich union(i am insured with the at present)
a they will not be told or understand that it is just a driving enhancement upgrade an refuse to insure me . who underwrite your insurance. thanks for you input so far
getting insurance after chipping 75 - Mark (RLBS)
speak to the chipping company. They will have encountered this before.

They may have a report which will satisfy the NU or a recomendation for another insurer.