Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - plinth
I\'ve had my 94 Cavalier diesel (1.7 TD) for over three years now.

For the first two winters there was never any problems starting it in the morning.

During the third winter it became more difficult to start, usually only starting on the second attempt. One day it wouldn\'t start at all, I could hear some compression/ignition going on (black smoke from the exhaust confirmed this), but never enough to start the engine . I thought it was a block/leak in the fuel line but couldn\'t find anything. I took it to a mechanic who replaced the glow plugs (I\'d only replaced the glow plugs a few months previously, although I did use budget plugs) and it started .

Ever since that day (Last Feb) its got worse and worse on starting from cold. When warm there are no problems at all. This morning it started on the fourth attempt (I reckon about twenty turns of the engine). What\'s the most likely cause and how much will it cost to fix?

Also, is there any way to search these forums? I\'d guess that the answer is already here somewhere but I\'ll never be able to find it otherwise.
Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - Hawesy1982
Can\'t help you with the starting problem, unless its something as simple as the battery on its way out perhaps?

To do a forum search click on the link of the same name at the top of the right-hand side, then search keywords, maybe \'diesel\', \'starting\', and \'cold\' will find something? I\'m sure the subject has been discussed before in length
To do a forum search click on the link of the
same name at the top of the right-hand side, then search
keywords, maybe \'diesel\', \'starting\', and \'cold\' will find something? I\'m sure
the subject has been discussed before in length

Thanks for that. Didn\'t notice that link at first...
Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - Dave N
Assuming the glow plugs are working, then some VX\'s with Isuzu engines suffered from valve seat regression, causing the valve clearances to close up and loss of compression when cold.
I\'ve heard about this problem before and it sounds a likely cause.

It fits with the pattern of getting steadily worse (I\'ve also got the isuzu engine).

What can be done to fix it? If I need to take it to a garage how much will I be looking at paying?
Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - Dizzy {P}
Spodpaul, my posting as follows should help answer your questions: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=91...8

One small correction to that posting -- I suggested that a compound between the seats and the head might be oozing out or breaking up. I now disagree with myself(!) as the seats would be likely to fall out if any retaining compound was failing and I haven\'t heard of this happening.
Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - Carl
I had this problem too, and it turned out that the new pattern glow plugs which I had fitted had failed. From memory, the Haynes manual said tighten to 23-30Nm, when in reality they just need nipping tight.

I solved the problem by fitting OEM glowplugs from Vauxhall, however these were £40+VAT each, even the parts guy couldn't believe it. Apparently NGK have a sole licencing agreement with Opel/Vauxhall across Europe.

Have you checked that you are getting 12 volts at the busbar which links the glow plugs ?, this is controlled via two relays. When then engine is cold, even after the glow plug light has gone out, the glow plugs remain on for a short while. When the engine is hot, the glow plugs are switched off immediatlely, being controlled via a thermoswitch. The best way to check i this is to wire a 12 volt bulb between the busbar and earth and drive the car.
Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - Sooty Tailpipes
Like the others say, I would check the simpler things first, ie the batteries and glow plug system.

Diesel's are much less tolerant of a fading battery than a petrol.
The car may stil crank over fine, but at a lower speed and with much less heat in the glow plugs. A petrol would still start fine, but a diesel would lose it's compression heat before the fuel can ignite and need cranking for longer and longer.

Only use Beru or NGK glow plugs.
Cavalier 1.7 TD. Cold starting Problem. - DL
First cold snap of the winter soon sorts out the knackered batteries and glow plugs!

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Thanks for all the replies.

When the problem first appeared I had all the glow plugs replaced and it was still tricky to start from cold. I also put in a new battery about 18 months ago and could see the obvious improvement in cranking speed, its currently still at about the same level.

> When the engine is cold, even after the glow plug light has gone out, the glow plugs remain on for a short while.

I wish I'd known this last winter! The light kept going out after two or three seconds which seemed way too short to warm the engine. Took me a couple of hours and the help of a mate to realise that the plugs were still drawing current for five to ten seconds after the light went out.

I've taken it down to a vauxhall garage and they confirmed that the shims need adjusting. They're quoting me £95 for the job (just under that psychological £100 barrier!) so I'm having it done to make sure I don't get stranded somewhere in the middle of winter.

Thanks for the help