Strange choice of driving school car - peterb
I was following a driving school Golf yesterday..... with V5 badges!

I'm sure it will teach learners to respect the throttle pedal, but they going to be very dissapointed when they pass the test and test drive anything that they'll be able to insure.

PS Not sure if it was the 150 or 170 bhp version.
Strange choice of driving school car - AlanGowdy
I imagine the instructor uses it as his own vehicle on off-days. I think it's a poor choice as a training machine though.
Strange choice of driving school car - owen
why a poor choice?

Surely it's unlikely that the power will catch a learner out on a lesson? The car only goes as fast as you tell it to, i would see no problem myself.

Actually, a good marketing tool - i'd have much preferred to learn in a Golf V5 than my instructors Honda Civic!!
Strange choice of driving school car - peterb
The car only goes as fast as
you tell it to, i would see no problem myself.

I guess that's the point. In the first few lessons, it's easy to use too little or too much throttle when driving at low speed. Too much throttle in a powerful car can br serious,

I'm amazed the guy's insurers would cover it. Would you, Mark?
Strange choice of driving school car - Mark (RLBS)
People know more about instructors than me, but I'd wonder how well registered he was and whether or not its a one-man band and therefore how good his insurance is.

But, it could be that his normal car broke down, that he doesn't teach young drivers, that it isn't really and just has the badges, that he only teaches ex-racing car drives for all I know.

Mind you, I would have thought it would be an awful car to learn in.
Strange choice of driving school car - BrianW
Maybe it just had the badges ! LOL
Strange choice of driving school car - J Bonington Jagworth
Kangaroo starts should be pretty spectacular!
-------------------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Strange choice of driving school car - Blue {P}
My instructor used to have a Mazda MX5 1.8

His insurance was pretty steep, the company told him that he was the only instructor in the country at the time with a car like it.

Unfortunately someone wrote it off just after my third lesson :-(

Blue
Strange choice of driving school car - daveyjp
Difficult to have a two seater now as a sole trader as instructors must have access to a car with at least three seats.
He also ran 3 Micras for when they were needed, and for his other instructors to drive. He *never* needed to advertise though. ;-)

Blue
Strange choice of driving school car - David Horn
I learnt in a Ford Focus 1.6 provided by the AA. The instructor got a new one the day before my test - so nice to have a "proper" clutch again, though I'm proud to say I didn't stall once while I was learning. ;)
Strange choice of driving school car - henry k
I learnt in a Ford Focus 1.6 provided by the AA.

I have noticed several Ghia versions in the local AA fleet.
A better resale value or another reason for this?
Marketing reasons I think. I remember reading the adverts:

"Learn in a top of the range Ford Focus with Air Con" etc. etc.

Much more attractive to customers in the summer months than:

"Learn in a bottom of the range Focus CL, or maybe a Micra that we had lying around". ;-)

It's all about image really, and a fleet of Focus Ghias presents a good image.

Blue