Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Dude - {P}
Just wondered if anybody in the B.R. now owns or has any connections with Jowett Javelin/Jupiter cars, which were well ahead of their peers when introduced in 1947. I rebuilt one back in the early sixties, but with family commitments reluctantly had to sell it on.

I believe they were the first company ever to use hydraulic tappets, which are now standard throughout the motor industry.

They also were one of very few manufacturers in their day to employ torsion bar suspension both front and rear, which gave almost Citreon DS19 ride quality.

Incidentally the Jupiter won its class at Le Mans in 1953/54, shortly after which production ceased as Briggs Body Works were bought out by Ford, who cut off their supply to Jowett.
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Garethj
Wonderful car, technically advanced for their time! A small point, but the VW Beetle also had torsion bar suspension front and rear.

I was talking to a friend who writes for a classic car magazine last week and I tried to talk him into a group test of a Jowett Javelin (www.jowett.net/dt/contributions/DrummondBlack/jave...g), a Volvo PV544 (auto.indiamart.com/cars/photo-gallery/gifs/car62b....g), a VW Beetle (www.learningonthemove.co.uk/me/pages/nmm07a.jpg) and a Tatra 600 (www.tatra.demon.nl/images/Cars-T600-Diesel-car-1.j...g)

Who said that modern cars look alike? All very different technically though.

Gareth
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - J Bonington Jagworth
My grandad had one of those! Flat-four engine too - lovely.
:-)
-------------------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - RogerL
Jowetts were so advanced that Ford had to kill them off by buying out Briggs, their body pressings supplier. Ford tried the same thing with Rover, before BMW bought them but that would have been just to get the K-series engine.
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - John Shelton
There is an old flat twin BRADFORD delivery van lying in the bushes close to where I live at the site of an abandoned 1960s railway station Its been there for 20 years and there are trees growing through it. Theres also a 1940's Rover saloon and a series 1 Landy as well all derelict
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Rob the Bus {P}
A few weeks ago, there was a Javelin for sale next to Grove Park station, SE London. It was up for £1150, which is worryingly cheap for one of Bradford's finest.

If I had a tad more mechanical/bodywork knowledge I'd have been tempted...

Cheers

Rob
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - THe Growler
This guy's 13 year estoration of a Javelin makes me feel tired just reading it.....

tinyurl.com/rd7a
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Alastair Gregg
Hello John

Interested to hear of the Bradford lying in the railway bushes I see this post is 2003, is it still their and in need of rescue? Please e-mail me on adgregg@xalt.co.uk as I have an interest.

Best Regards

Alastair Gregg
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Adam {P}
Alastair,

I'ma fraid you'll be waiting a long time for John to reply to you. He's not been back here for years.

Sorry,

Adam
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - bell boy
hes in his shed with pipe and jowett probably.............
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Altea Ego
Oh for gods sake old timer, dont you have some scrimshaw to carve? some whitling to do? thought about joing the bowls club? pigeon fancying perhaps?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - bell boy
no ......have you?
Hello Adam

Thanks for telling me. Does anyone know how to get to him privatley and if so could they ask him to e-mail me as I'd really like to retrieve the Bradford, or even if they knew roughly where he lived (I wouldn't be round their knocking on all the doors, honest). But it would help me to start looking in the right area.

Best Regards

Alastair Gregg
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Dynamic Dave
Does anyone know how to get to him privatley and if so could they ask him to e-mail me.

I can't promise anything, but I'll forward this thread to him, with your email address included.

DD. BR Moderator.
Many Thanks

Dave

Best Regards

Alastair
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - John S
Ahead on many things, but not hydraulic tappets. These were in use on American cars in the 1930s.

FWIW I remember my father talking about Jowetts, as he worked for Briggs Motor Bodies and subsequently Ford Motor Company following the buy out.

JS
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - George Porge
There used to be a Jowett soft top rotting away (with several other classics) between a row of terraced houses near to the Michelin factory in Stoke 6 years ago. I made an offer for an early 60s Beetle but was declined :-(
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - oldpostie
One day, while delivering mail, I came across a house in a village, where there were several Jowetts, in apparently good order. Not far away, was a man with several motorcycles, including a Vincent twin. My delivery took some time that day.
Jowett Javelin/Jupiter - Bromptonaut
Oldpostie - does your round cover the NN7 postcode; we've a house here with several Jowetts juxtaposed with a well preserved Austin Allagro!!
Hello Bromptonaut

I suspect this is the man in question. He gets parts made for the Jowett Car Club, (the oldest one make car club world wide). He has officially retired but if you think that then look at his web site

www.bla-jowett.com/blaindex.html

BILL LOCK & ASSOCIATES Ltd.
Jowett Parts
7 The Paddocks, Bugbrooke, Northampton, NN7 3QR. United Kingdom
Tel / Fax: +44 (0) 1327 831058

Best Regards

Alastair Gregg
It certainly is. A very interesting chap to talk too.
Yes. Well not my regular route ! I was on a reserve duty so I went to many different places. It was last year in the spring when I was in your village, and a very nice place too. I had just set off from the office, turned into the close, and came across these cars, with the owner. Next door to the postmaster.
I recently came across a lockup full of old motorcycles, even a rigid frame M20 BSA. Unusual to see these in town.
Hello Dox

Any further address details? I live near Buxton.

Best Regards

Alastair Gregg
Hi Alistair
www.streetmap.co.uk/

If you do a search for Campbell Road (ST4) I think the car was between two sets of terraced houses (only 20 or so in the whole street) in Sideway Road. It used to be directly opposite the Michelin clubhouse which was bulldosed to build houses. The Jowett was in poor condition the last time I saw it, probably a spares only car rather than a rebuild possability. The lady would'nt sell the Beetle as it used to belong to her late husband

Many thanks Dox

Will keep you posted am printing out the details so when I'm out and about on my travels will check it out (for want of a better description I am a rep) , was it a Jupiter (1950-54 sports car) or did it look older than that?

Best Regards

Alastair Gregg
I've no idea to be honest, I'm a VW fan ;-)
Hello Dox

No need to be sorry, if we all liked the same thing the prices would be very high and we might just get a bit bored. Thanks for your help. I will be on the case.

Best Regards

Alastair
I got to the road and discovered the house but sadly the lady had moved and the new owner has built a shiney new garage over the plot. A couple of Jags and a bentley were pulled out but no information on the Jowett or Beetles I'm afraid.

Thanks for your help.

Alastair Gregg