astra battery light - marty
astra td 1997,my battery warning light is on all the time it is very dim but brightens up when the car is reved up you only really notice it in the dark any ideas
astra battery light - Peter D
It sounds as if you have a defective diode in the recifier pack or the brushes on the regulator pack are worn out. How many miles have you done and is the battery charging properly.i.e. 14 to 14.2 volts fully charged engine at 2500 rpm and all loads on !..

Regards Peter
the car has done 75000 miles the alternter was rebuilt 12 mths ago because it was only chargins at 12 volts could i need a new one the battery was a bit sluggish in starting this morning
astra battery light - AN Other
I'm with Peter D. on this one. Try a replacement alternator - should be fairly cheap and easy enough to fit, I would have thought. The rebuild might not have taken diode pack etc. into account, and chances are if the unit was old enough to merit rebuilding in the first place, the diode pack would have been on its way out too...
astra battery light - Dynamic Dave
Try cleaning your battery connections and earth points to the bodywork and engine. I had a Cavalier that did this, and the alternator light got brighter when more electrical load was demanded, ie, switched on heated rear screen, heated seats, etc. The +ve battery post got so hot [1] that it put a hairline crack down the side of the battery and leaked acid.

[1]High resistant joint.
hi all
ihave changed the alternator and everything was ok but the light came on again this morning but after i stoped the car and restarted it the light went out could it be damp in the wire connection, i checked the battery and earth connections and all are ok.
astra battery light - DL
Have you physically removed the battery terminal and checked/cleaned it?

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
hi all
the light is on all the time now i have had the car in the garage because the battery went flat they said it was the battery and to take it back vauxhall dealer said nothing wrong with it but it is flat again this morning alternator is ok
any ideas
astra battery light - DL
Time for a new alternator methinks!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
astra battery light - Civic8
As a matter of interest has the battery been checked out.Properly.Ie is it the correct battery for car?
hi all
i have changed the alternator and i got the battery from vauxhall
last feb both have been checked 2 weeks ago by vaux dealer who said all was ok could it be the starter thats draining the battery the battery was removed and put back in the car after charging and the light is still on could it be the engine earth strap.
astra battery light - Dynamic Dave
could it be the engine earth strap.

That was suggested further up this thread.
hi all
well the light is still most of the time,ihave put on a new engine earth strap and had the alternator and battery checked and both are ok. is there anything else it could be because its driving me mad.the battery stays charged for about 3 weeks before it runs down.
astra battery light - elekie&a/c doctor
The astra t/d has a warning light relay situated behind plastic footwell panel near bonnet pull.These very commonly fail after an alternator fault.However this fault with the w/light may not be cause of battery running flat.
astra battery light - mgk luton beds
If this is 1700td not 1700dtl then charging relays need replacing car still charging but will soon burn out alternator

{typing soley in upper case gives the impression you\'re SHOUTING, wording amended}
sorry
hi all
its a 1.7 dtl vauxhall engine do the relays still need changing and where are they,thanks for all your help.
dtls dont have charging relays but wires rub on cover on back of altonator but as it been changed must be ok??
ex vaux tech
fbillytom@ntlworld.com