Headlamps not turning off - Garyw
I have Volvo 850 TDI Estate. Recently it developed a problem where the headlamps stay on even when the ignition is switched off and key removed. I replaced the headlamp rotary switch but this did not resolve the problem. Even if I remove the switch and unplug it, the tail lights remain on. I suspect it could be a relay problem. Please advise.

Thanks ... Gary
Headlamps not turning off - NormanB
Agreed - Relay.
Volvo 850 Est Lighting Electrical Fault - Garyw
I have a Volvo 850 TDI Estate. Recently it developed a problem where the headlamps and tail-lights do not turn off when the ignition is switched off and the key removed. This happens when the switch is set to OFF and FULL-ON. If I leave the switch in the middle position then the headlamps turn off but the tail-lights stay on brighter. It is draining the battery and I am having to remove the light switch to slow the battery drain.

So far I have replaced the light switch. This seemed to work for a couple of weeks before the problem started again. Since then I have replaced the Light Control Relay. This has not helped at all.

Suggestions of what to do next please.

Regards ... Gary
Could my problem be an earthing one and how do I test it? Could that affect the functioning of the Light Control Relay?

Regards ... Gary
Volvo 850 Est Lighting Electrical Fault - Brill {P}
Gary,

Sorry I can't help, but you could try: www.volvoclub.org.uk (forum) if you have no luck here in the Backroom.

Stu.
Upon further investigation I think the problem may be to do with the ignition switch. Also the heated front seats stay on (if the switch is on) after the ignition key is removed.

Regards ... Gary
Volvo 850 Est Lighting Electrical Fault - AndyT
Could be that, or could be an aux power relay operated by the ign switch when on accessory or run position.
Volvo 850 Est Lighting Electrical Fault - DL
I concur on the ignition switch - it is often forgotten when diagnosing faults.

Had a Xantia TD in lately with an intermittant heater blower fan - turned out to be an ignition switch fault believe it or not!

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....