Importing Sprinter: comment/servicing question - Simon Howes
Much to the annoyance of the local Mertrux dealer, we learned that I had saved about seven thousand on a 416 CDI purchased from the MB dealer in Brugge. This was an accurate comparision as I could make, using MB option codes etc. Simple and easy to do - infact the only grief was the ineptitude of the staff at my local Vehicle Registry Office not knowing their stuff properly!

The power is incredible (160hp) - restricted to 100mph, but gives the impression of being able to do another 10 or 20 mph. Dealer happy to derestrict but I'm not going to...

Acheiving between 25 and 34 to the gallon, depending on load/aircon travelling at 75mph. Vehicle has six speed Sprintshift (MB version of Tiptronic), which helps with economy apparenty. Makes for very relaxing and comfortable driving - can recommend!

About servicing - MB have being drumming 6,000 intervals into light commercial owners for so long before the appearance of the Sprinter it is hard to believe these new cdi engines will last on 15,000 between changes. My last one got to 350,000m on original clutch/motor/transmission and only four sets of pads. I know the technology is derived from heavy trucks like Actros which do 100,000km intervals - but 15,000? The oil rep assures me it's fine... any thoughts please? Is this just part of a greater strategy to improve spares sales?!

Cheers,

Simon Howes
Re: Importing Sprinter: comment/servicing question - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
If it were mine it would get an oil change every 3k miles with filter every other change.
Re: Importing Sprinter: comment/servicing question - richard turpin
This frequent oil changing is obviously correct in theory, and like others on this site I do it too. I just wonder why cars generally pack up because of rust/blocked or broken pipes/rotten electrics etc etc rather than worn out bearings/liners.