Another Steering Wheel Vibration. VWPolo - kennybase
Hi there

I\'ve recently got a VW Polo 1.6 Saloon, and first drive in it was from Brighton to Derby - no problems, car ran fine. Next day ran down M1 to Leicester and noticed that between 60-70mph the steering wheel had a slight vibration. Initial thought was tyre balance, so seeing as the fronts were getting lowish, bought new fronts, balanced them hoping to resolve problem, but the problem is still there. After a while of driving at higher speeds, the problem does goes away, so its got me completely stumped.
I did notice that the front left was worn unevenly when it came off, but I assumed that was down to tyre pressures.

Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks in advance!

Ben
Another Steering Wheel Vibration. VWPolo - Dynamic Dave
Occasionally tyres can slip slightly from their original points on the wheel rim when they've been newly fitted. First thing I would do is get them rebalanced.
Another Steering Wheel Vibration. VWPolo - blank
First thing I would
do is get them rebalanced.

Me too.

Again, occasionally or more often, dependent on the intelligence, training and motivation of the tyre fitter, the balancing isn't done properly. Ask them to try again!

Andy
Another Steering Wheel Vibration. VWPolo - NARU
I'd check the wheel bearings too, and see if there's any play in the steering joints.
Thanks for the help guys.

I did take the wheels back for rebalancing, but they came out fine, so I'll check the bearings for play - that's not a job I'm relishing to have to do/pay for!
Another Steering Wheel Vibration. VWPolo - smokie
I once clouted a kerb with a wheel on full lock (icy road) and something got bent underneath which cost a fair bit to repair. That's probably worst case though.
Another Steering Wheel Vibration. VWPolo - shoei
I had the same problems with my 1995 polo hatch,it was sorted at the vw dealer who aligned the suspension set up,I can`t remember what they called it but it was a long german word.
Thanks for all the help.

I got around to swapping the fronts and rears over today - and drove down the M27 with no problems at all, so I'm assuming its something to do with one of the old front tyres. The alloys look like they've taken a few curb on in the past, (I've not long had the car so it's not me!) and I can only assume theres something bent on one of them!