SAAB 9-5 ARC Estate windscreen 02 reg - Altea Ego
Friend of mine wants to purchase an Origin B2 GPS based camera locator. Question is does the above car have a heat reflecting or aethermic windscreen that will block the GPS signals?
SAAB 9-5 ARC Estate windscreen 02 reg - AR-CoolC
Hi R

I'm pretty sure you friends 9-5 does not have a heat reflective screen that will block the signal.

The easiest way to check is to look at the car from an angle where you can see both the screen and the side glasses, if they look the same colour then you should be ok.

Basicly there are 2 ways of producing heat reflective screens, they are to either use a film between the two layers of glass or to apply a layer of silver between the two layers. The ones using film look the same as standard green glass, and the ones with a silver layer (which can block signals) look purple-ish.

If you have a reflective screen i.e your laguna then there is pretty much always part of the screen that does not have the silver coating, on yours it is in the dotted area around the rear view mirror, this is so that the cars in europe where toll boothes are used the automatic payment jobbies can be attatched in this area.

So in summary ....... no.
SAAB 9-5 ARC Estate windscreen 02 reg - AR-CoolC
Sorry forgot to mention once I got into waffle mode.

SAAB historicly have always used the film method.
SAAB 9-5 ARC Estate windscreen 02 reg - Altea Ego
Thanks GT, It does not have the area round the mirror like mine does so I assumed it was OK. The car has sat nav but that uses an external GPS aerial (and a blindingly good sat nav it is too)