Buying private used car - FINANCE? - Guy Lacey aka S3 Geek
Hi,

I've agreed a purchase on a 2000 Audi S3 - mint condition - everything I've been looking for.

The young lad selling it said he had finance outstanding. He seemed a very open, honest and genuine bloke but one can never be too careful.

I wish to purchase the car with a banker's draft but am wary of him pocketing the cash and me left with the outstanding finance.

How do I go about ensuring the finance gets paid off? Do I get the draft written to his lender instead of him?

Thanks,

Guy
Buying private used car - FINANCE? - M.M
Hello Guy,

Nice to see your name back again.

You are right to be wary. The only way to be 100% here is if he pays off the finance and shows you the settlement confirmation.

But I guess he needs your dosh to do it??

I think the only safe way is for an open three way discussion with his finance company to see how they want to play it. They will usually talk to the third party to some degree in these circumstances.

Will this be an LPG S3?

Oh and unplugged any food stall genny's lately?

M.M
(David W as was)
Well I never!

Seems as though we've all been here but under different names - although my name isn't that different!

I've been in touch with someone in the trade - I need to ask him to give me a settlement report from the lender and then get a bankers draft to the lender for that amount and then the balance to him. I then have to post the banker's draft to the lender on his behalf to be certain.

I must also ask him to copy me the letter clariying closure of the lenders interest in the car to aid re-sale.

Should have bought from a dealer!

The LPG Golf is still alive (just) but the S3 will remain purely Optimax material so I can make the most of the 6-gears!

I've calmed down a lot these days so no "Generator Game" at the Tar Barrels and definitely no "anall day benders"!

Cheers DW.

Rgds,

Guy
Buying private used car - FINANCE? - Nsar
I'm guessing you meant to type "all day benders"...or should I not enquire?
Sadly, no.

Many years ago, well, two years ago I wrote on this very forum that I had been on AN ALL DAY BENDER but due to the very same session my typing skills weren't too good and I actually wrote "anall day bender".

Of course, those among us with a beady eye for errors and especially those with a toilet humour twist automatically took the mick and never let me forget it.

Ahhhh, memories.
Buying private used car - FINANCE? - Flat in Fifth
Hi Guy,

Glad to see the prize winning Golf is still with us, despite the attentions of the seagulls!

And that the anall day benders still a topic of conversation!

Fridays not as silly though!

regds,
FiF

Stuart as was, regds to Dave and Ben BTW.
Hello FiF,

She is still with me but not for long!

Trying to sell her.

Still prize-winning though!

[url]www.mg-rover.org/temp/forum/vwbloothunder.jpg[/url]

It's good to be back!
Ah, no Java needed.

Sweet.

Try this....

www.mg-rover.org/temp/forum/vwbloothunder.jpg
www.mg-rover.org/temp/forum/vwbloothunderhigh.jpg
As-wases - Carole
Guy Lacey, as I live and breathe!! And DW too. So we are all still lurking! Hello to you both (and your cars)!

Carole

As-wases - M.M
Blimey Carole...have you really been looking in every day to wait for that right type of Guy?

D

Close to tears! - Guy Lacey aka S3 Geek
Carole!

Well, well, well. I'm close to tears!

Who knows who's going to pop out of the woodwork next! My brother Dave maybe......?!

Hope you're well and they've been treating you well on here.
Close to tears! - No Do$h
All we need now is a certain Toad...... Anyone seen a beige 214 around the Hampshire/Sussex borders lately?
Close to tears! - Colin M
Better than posting drafts etc is to get down to a branch of your bank nearest the seller on the day and arrange a BACS transfer to him and the finance company on the spot. He'll see it being done and be happy to release the car, you'll be sure your money is going to the right place and can drive away then.

Make sure the car has not been chipped, very common on the S3's. Also get the oil changed, I am very suspicious of Audi's variable servicing on a performance car that allows you to drive 20,000 miles or two years out of the factory before anything gets done.

Is the S3 a facelift model (bigger reversing light lenses). Is it an import? Prices of these cars were very strong until recently, but have seriously weakened over last 6 months, just make sure you are not paying over the top. CAP is useless in this respect because so few go through the auctions.

If you want to email me, I may know the seller, I sold over 100 S3 imports and am active on www.tyresmoke.net (bad name for a good forum).

Close to tears! - mab23
Not BACS, CHAPS. CHAPS is same day (instant or virtually anyway). Bad news is it costs 20 quid or so a time.

BACS takes 3 working days or summink.

Mike
Close to tears! - DL
Cool thread!

I've been here for a while now!
Close to tears! - Phoenicks
Whats wrong with a chipped S3? I understood that the engine could handle 240-26-bhp with ease?
Close to tears! - Colin M
> Whats wrong with a chipped S3?

I wonder about the longevity of chipping. If the engine was reliably capable of producing that power throughout it's life then why don't Audi up the bhp in the first place?

Secondly chipping usually invalidates the warranty (or at least the parts that apply to affected components, ie engine, clutch, gearbox, Haldex, brakes etc).

Close to tears! - Phoenicks
Chipping itself is relatively low risk. The 1.8T engine they use is detuned to 210/225 anyway so my understanding is that it can handle it with ease. I believe Audi dont up the power as they didnt want to stand on the TT's toes, and by the time they upped it to 225 it was on the run out anyway. Production cars are always less power than fully able for reliability/longevity reasons. I wouldnt have a problem buy a 254bhp S3. In fact if done well saves me the cost!

There is a REVO chipping 'thing' that reprograms the original chip and comes with a switching device that enables you to switch back to original setting for your serivce etc. As such it appears to be totally standard to Audi and also is not picked up on the diagnostics machine. £500 tempter if you ask me and probably circumvents the warranty concerns!!!
S3 turns out to be dodgy! - Guy Lacey aka S3 Geek
Thank **** for HPI!

Turns out there are a couple of concerns over the car so I won't be buying it! It's listed as Silver but is actually Blue but, more importantly, it's mileages on the National Mileage Register don't tally and actually suggest a 10,000 mile plus clocking back in late 2002.

Walking away from that one!

However, walking straight into the path of a Silver S3 from Bristol! Will keep you informed.

Why don't I just go to a dealer!?!
S3 turns out to be dodgy! - Phoenicks
Thats a real relief eh! Well done for checking HPI - really relieved for you.

So what was the sellers story for selling it?

Also, was he a dealer or masquerading as one?

What did he say when you told him it had come up different?

Lastly, What was the advertised mileage?
S3 turns out to be dodgy! - blank
Thank **** for HPI!

Indeed!
Silver ... actually Blue but...Silver S3 from Bristol!

How very disappointing. I was hoping you'd go for a nice yellow one!

Cheers
AGS
S3 turns out to be dodgy! - DL
.....You never know he might end up with a PINK one!
All S3's are turning out to be dodgy! - Guy Lacey aka S3 Geek
I'm getting really fed up with this now.

The Silver S3 in Bristol was totally genuine on HPI but;

1.) The alloys were so badly kerbed that one kerbing had resulted in a 20p piece size chunk out of one tyre. The wheels were also kerbed along the spokes so we're talking some high kerb action.

2.) The car had 3 dimple-like dents in the A-pillar. Very worrying.

So what does one do? Buy a SEAT?

Why are there so many people selling cars as "mint" when they are, quite clearly, dogs?!
All S3's are turning out to be dodgy! - DL
Buy a Peugeot?
All S3's are turning out to be dodgy! - Colin M
I can't believe the blue/silver thing was anything other than a typo unless the car is cloned.

All S3's are turning out to be dodgy! - DL
Clerical error at registration, perhaps?

It does happen, quite how, I don't know!
Close to tears! - Carole
Who knows who's going to pop out of the woodwork next! My brother Dave maybe......?!

Guy (some time later): Well, exactly. And he did, didn't he?

Just a thought: I think the fact we're lurking and not contributing is significant....so I'll think I'll just carry on lurking. Hope you get your Audi sorted out. (What's the betting this doesn't end up where I aimed it?)

C
Close to tears! - M.M
Before you return to lurk mode Carole I think we should know about your replacement for that lovely Citroen. Is it better, does it start, does it always go...do you chat to such a nice class of fellow owners?

Been up on four legs lately? Bet Dave/Toad still thinks of the mucking out in fishnets!!

M.M
Close to tears! - Carole
MM:
>I think we should know about your replacement for that lovely Citroen.

Dare I say? It's an MGF and I've already had to take it back for a new ECU (steptronic gearbox - well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.) WOuld you believe the bloke who bought it lives just round the corner and he thinks it's wonderful! Should I tell him?

>Is it better, does it start, does it always go...do you chat to such a nice class of fellow owners?

Well, there's an MGF owners' website and I have been inclined to post a post or two....Actually I think I'm vehicularly hexed.

>Been up on four legs lately? Bet Dave/Toad still thinks of the mucking out in fishnets!!

I have, as it goes: a 15 hh Arab, if you don't mind, and a frisky little beast she was too. Are your Shetlands OK? I think of you from time to time, the bloke opposite me does Landies up in his spare time!

Regards
C
Close to tears! - M.M
>>Are your Shetlands OK?

Err there's any remaining street cred gone, remember the Shetland was just for the short people in the house! Main concentration is on breaking/schooling a young American Pinto mare. The old cob didn't make this summer and is currently behaving well and eating little in a nice box in the workshop. Bit behind getting the spade out!

>>I think of you from time to time, the bloke opposite me does Landies up in his spare time!

I hope he keeps to tradition with several parked in front of the lounge window and up the drive.

M.M

Landies - Carole
>I hope he keeps to tradition with several parked in front of the lounge window and up the drive.

Yup, six at the last count!

C

Landies - Citroënian {P}
Ah-ha!

Not been popping in here as often lately, but it's great to see Guy back.

Guy, you cannot escape your destiny - the Golf is with you to stay. My current car doesn't have a double chevron on it, but I know that in time to the LHM fluid I will return :-)

Hi too to DW, hope you're keeping well. I was thinking about you at the weekend as I considered whether or not to buy a jet washer...

Has anyone seen Ian Cook lately?

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
GOT IT! - Guy Lacey aka S3 Geek
Aha,

Lee - not so, my friend! The Golf has gone to greener pastures in Aberystwyth and I am now the proud owner of a silver X-plate Audi S3. It has the ubiquitous 1-lady owner, all optional extras incl. full leather and a lovely drive. . . . . if a little thirsty! - and 98 RON!

At last. Had to buy from a dealer to get the car I wanted witout it looking like a banger car.

Good to see everyone back - strange how we were here all along!
GOT IT! - DL
The S3 is in the repair bay having a new dual mass flywheel fitted(£1400!!!) fortunately all covered under Audi's used car warranty.

Guy's driving around in a blue A2 FSi.......which he's *really* enjoying. Especially driving around with the window open at 45mph....but that's another story altogether :-)
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....