Where are the Schumachers from? - Rebecca {P}
(Family argument going on today...)

In 1998 the Algerian Government newspaper claimed that the Schumacher brothers were born in Algeria, moving to Germany after the deal of their (real)Algerian father. The offical biographies don't mention this.

Does anyone in the BR know anything about this story? Was it widely reported at the time?
Where are the Schumachers from? - PhilW
I expect they moved because they felt a little out of place in Algeria with names like Michael, Ralf and Schumacher. Mind you they probably feel equally out of place in Germany with their pale comlexion and fair hair. It a difficult one isn't it.
By the way Idi Amin was closely related to the Queen - can't think why I didn't realise sooner what with the similarity in looks!!!
Where are the Schumachers from? - Rebecca {P}
spelling! - the DEATH of their father, I mean

The article claimed they were born as Hassan and Farouk!
Where are the Schumachers from? - Altea Ego
www.fedef1.com/news/f1n_nov98.html
Where are the Schumachers from? - Sooty Tailpipes
I think they were Ashkenazis.
Where are the Schumachers from? - eMBe {P}
According to Ask Jeeves, some of the links lead you to:

"Michael Schumacher was born January 3rd, 1969, to parents Rolf and Elisabeth Schumacher, in Hurt-Hermulheim, Germany. When Schumacher was four years "

"Ralf Schumacher. Born June 30th 1975 in Huerth, Germany .."

"Ralf Schumacher was born on 30th June 1975 in Hürth-Hermülheim, a suburb of Cologne in North Rhine-Westphalia. "

"Crazy rumour of the week...
An Algerian government newspaper, El Moudjahid, is claiming that Michael Schumacher as well as his brother Ralf Schumacher was born in Algeria.
According to them Michael's real name is Farouk Schumacher and he was born in Algeria in 1969. His brother's real name is Hassan and they were both born in the Algerian town of Blida. They went so far as to say that the Schumacher brothers had an Algerian father and a German mother. When their father died, they allegedly moved to Germany and then changed their names to Michael and Ralf.
A spokesperson for the newspaper said: "This is not a joke, nor a hoax but confirmed information".