An impossible quest? - Wee Willie Winkie

My 80 year old mother in law has expressed her intention to buy a new car. She currently drives a 2015 '64' plate Ford Ka which has about 40k on the clock. She sees impending bills on the horizon - last MoT required two new tyres and a ball joint - so wants to buy a brand new car to 'avoid any big bills'... I know, I know.

She has owned Fords for as long as my better half can remember, her previous 3 cars before this Ka were......yep, all a Ka. Unfortunately for her, the Ka is no longer produced and I don't think she wishes to 'step up' to a Fiesta - too big you see.

So, perish the thought, but a car without a blue oval is looking likely. Thing is.... she is a lady who knows what she likes. And that is not modern motoring. She was only brought kicking and screaming out of the era of cassettes because her current Ka came with a CD player. A touch screen is a massive no-no. Streaming music would be met with a the derision it deserves. She still has a Nokia 3210 as far as I'm aware. It's never turned on though.

So, 3 door. New. Petrol and manual. CD player. No touchscreen. As few bells and whistles as possible. Tricky one, huh? I've scoured AT and am struggling, to say the least.

Any bright ideas out there?

An impossible quest? - Xileno

I think she will have to compromise. If she would accept five doors then a Celerio might be an option. Not sure about the touchscreen though,

The Celerio isn't available new. The Swift is, although new ones now have a touchscreen. There are a few '71' and '22' plate pre reg cars that have an older interior ith a CD player and without touchscreen. 5 doors though.

I completely agree that compromise is required. However, MIL wouldn't concede that. Maybe once she's looked about and seen the leap she'd need to make into the modern world, she'd decide to keep her current car.

An impossible quest? - elekie&a/c doctor
Please don’t tell your mil that her blue oval badge Ka is actually a fiat 500 in drag . As for your question, I think you will struggle to get a new car with a CD player and no touch screen facilities. fiesta would be my choice , or how about a Kia picanto .? Not sure if available in 3 door .
An impossible quest? - badbusdriver

Utterly baffled as to why an elderly person would actively want 3 doors anyway?. The two front doors are longer, so they are more awkward to use in confined space, more likely to get caught and whipped open on a windy day, and of course, much more awkward for any passengers to get into the rear.

My eldest son (24) wants a 3 door car, solely because of them looking more sporty!.

3 door hatchbacks have all but died out. From the manufacturers point of view, why go to the expense of having two different bodies developed and put down the production linewhen only a tiny percentage of customers choose them?.

The only 3 door car of that size (smaller than a Fiesta) which you can buy new is the Fiat 500 (not the EV), but it will have a touch screen and won't have a CD player.

The only 3 door car of a Fiesta size you can buy new is the Fiesta, which also has a touch screen and no CD player.

Afraid to say she can't get what she wants, so there will have to be a compromise.

An impossible quest? - Adampr

I think it's impossible to buy a brand new car with no touchscreen and a CD player. Without actually researching it, I'd be thinking Fiat Panda, Suzuki Ignis, Nissan Micra or Hyundai i10.

An impossible quest? - badbusdriver

Without actually researching it, I'd be thinking Fiat Panda, Suzuki Ignis, Nissan Micra or Hyundai i10.

All of which are 5 door only.

Weld 2 shut?

An impossible quest? - paul 1963

What about a bottom of the range Dacia? My other suggestion is maybe a "classic"? restored mk2 fiesta springs to mind ( not exactly a classic but you get my point).

"I think it's impossible to buy a brand new car with no touchscreen and a CD player"

Looks like you're correct there.

I think all Dacias are five doors.

No option to select number of doors on this website's 'Chooser' tool either: www.honestjohn.co.uk/chooser/?

Edited by Xileno on 17/05/2022 at 19:50

An impossible quest? - SLO76
Can’t even get a 3dr Picanto anymore and the newer version of her own car (the Fiat 500) seems to have a touchscreen in every version. How about a VW UP!? No CD player I believe but no touchscreen either.

Get her to try a 5dr Picanto or Hyundai i10. The Kia in particular has a long warranty and covers her for 7yrs of bills if it’s serviced with a Kia dealer.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/05/2022 at 19:59

An impossible quest? - sammy1

Well you can buy a MINI with 3 doors but CDs are old hat but someone could programme the radio and music for her. No offence but she could be out of her depth with a modern car for various reasons beside those mentioned

An impossible quest? - Crickleymal

Toyota Aygo?

Toyota Aygo?

Not sold anymore. Replaced by the Aygo X, which would probably be a good choice for an elderly driver, but would probably deeply offend this one.

Can’t even get a 3dr Picanto anymore and the newer version of her own car (the Fiat 500) seems to have a touchscreen in every version. How about a VW UP!? No CD player I believe but no touchscreen either. Get her to try a 5dr Picanto or Hyundai i10. The Kia in particular has a long warranty and covers her for 7yrs of bills if it’s serviced with a Kia dealer.

Up would be a good choice. We had a SEAT Mii and the touchscreen is a little detachable unit above the dash, like a satnav. It stayed in the glovebox 99%of the time.

Edited by Adampr on 17/05/2022 at 21:56

As other have suggested, I think Fiat 500 has to be the way to go. You can sell it to her as a Ka in drag. You can buy an after market CD player that just connects through USB, but she would need to use the touchscreen to play stuff (although not for the heater etc). Alternatively, a decent auto electrician could install a CD/Radio running off the alternator and wired into the speakers, then just leave the touchscreen switched off.

An impossible quest? - Metropolis.
Volkswagen Up ?

There is one on autotrader, brand new, no touch screen (I think) and 3 door.
An impossible quest? - Ethan Edwards

My suggestion is also the Suzuki Ignis OK it has a touch screen BUT far more importantly its got a higher seat position. Far more comfy for the older driver especially if they have or could get arthritis in the hips. Which I myself have. Oh some versions of the Ignis may not have touch screens.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 17/05/2022 at 22:24

Suzuki Ignis - you might be on to something there...

An impossible quest? - Andrew-T

Leaving aside all this discussion of available models, it seems to me that there may be serious risk for an 80-year-old lady of less technical problems such as uncomfortable and unfamiliar seats and everything else. Much better to look after the vehicle she knows and likes. I speak as an octogenarian (but no lady :-) )

New tyres and a ball-joint don't sound very serious.

An impossible quest? - edlithgow

Check. Keep the Ka.

Maybe get a "New cars suck" bumper sticker for it.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/05/2022 at 02:46

Thanks all. Food for thought indeed.

I would be all for her keeping her current car. Tyres and a ball joint are just consumables after all, however I'm sure my MIL views this as the 'tip of the iceberg'.

If she continues down the new car route I'll make sure she knows compromises will need to be made.

An impossible quest? - FoxyJukebox
Agree-keep the car, get it serviced , have an MOT and spend the £new car money on getting all the advisories done. Sorted.
For this year anyway….
An impossible quest? - Engineer Andy

My 80 year old mother in law has expressed her intention to buy a new car. She currently drives a 2015 '64' plate Ford Ka which has about 40k on the clock. She sees impending bills on the horizon - last MoT required two new tyres and a ball joint - so wants to buy a brand new car to 'avoid any big bills'... I know, I know.

She has owned Fords for as long as my better half can remember, her previous 3 cars before this Ka were......yep, all a Ka. Unfortunately for her, the Ka is no longer produced and I don't think she wishes to 'step up' to a Fiesta - too big you see.

So, perish the thought, but a car without a blue oval is looking likely. Thing is.... she is a lady who knows what she likes. And that is not modern motoring. She was only brought kicking and screaming out of the era of cassettes because her current Ka came with a CD player. A touch screen is a massive no-no. Streaming music would be met with a the derision it deserves. She still has a Nokia 3210 as far as I'm aware. It's never turned on though.

So, 3 door. New. Petrol and manual. CD player. No touchscreen. As few bells and whistles as possible. Tricky one, huh? I've scoured AT and am struggling, to say the least.

Any bright ideas out there?

Yep - gently sit her down, tell her nicely that cars have parts like tyres and wheel / suspension bits that through use, wear out and need replacing periodically. Tell her it's far cheaper (that'll get her going!) to perform such simple work every now and then rather than shell out (especially at the moment) around a 'big bill' for £10k and more for a new car.

Also, she's 80 and likey won't benefit from most of the money put into buying a new car. If she's otherwise happy with what she's got, then why change? A 7you modern car with 40k on the clock should be (if well cared for and driven sympathetically) still in good nick.

I've had the same issues with my own dad, who's 79 and always has had Fords. At least this time round he wouldn't mind A/C. He baulked at the prices he'll have to pay for a replacement for his 14yo base-spec 3dr Fiesta though, which is now putting him off changing.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 18/05/2022 at 13:07

Still no takers for the VW Up?

I'll have the Up! in my armoury if she insists changing is the way forward.

Still no takers for the VW Up?

Not exactly 'affordable' these days though. Have the clutch (manuals) issues been sorted that are referred to in the HJ reviews? Also now no new alternatives in the stablemates from SEAT and Skoda who've either pulled out entirely (Skoda now longer producing the Citigo) and SEAT only doing an expensive Mii electric.

I never understand why someone wants to spend well in excess of 10 Grand when their existing car can be easily 'repaired' for wear and tear parts for a few hundred Quid at most. I mean what will they do when their 'new' car's tyres wear out - buy another car?

An impossible quest? - John F

Sit her down and ask her politely what she understands by the term 'depreciation'.

Nuff said!

An impossible quest? - Terry W

She doesn't NEED a new car. Maybe she just WANTS a new car. I assume it is her money - if it gives her pleasure then let her spend it.

Forum members often use man maths to justify the answers they want - with cars it may be about the absolute need for particular gizmos, performance levels, design features. Rarely capable of financial or even (sometimes) rational explanation.

Assuming her "want" is affordable, take her round a few garages to see what is available. She may decide (a) she doesn't like any of them, (b) she likes the most comfortable, (c) actually a screen is rather fun.

To some 80 is ancient. But assuming she is still capable of driving, and has a working brain she should choose (with your informed support), not have a solution foisted upon her.

Agreed. And some people just like the reassurance of a car that is new and is under warranty. Fortunately we dont live in a communist country and for the most part we can have what we WANT if we have earned it. No need to actually NEED it or justify.

Edited by Metropolis. on 18/05/2022 at 16:50

An impossible quest? - edlithgow
Agreed. And some people just like the reassurance of a car that is new and is under warranty. Fortunately we dont live in a communist country and for the most part we can have what we WANT if we have earned it. No need to actually NEED it or justify.

Except that we can't, as this thread rather neatly shows.

The potential customer here has to have what the industry and the regulators offer, which isn't what she wants.

To quote an icon of automotive cool Steve McQueen character (probably not a Communist, but nobody's perfect)

"New things are no damn good."

It is very much affordable and definitely falls into 'want' rather than 'need'. My main query was a request for any ideas I hadn't thought of, considering her aversion to technology as a whole. Whilst there is a chance she may see a touchscreen and think it's fun - there's more chance of seeing Lord Lucan bareback on Shergar on the way to the dealer.

I don't intend on foisting any solution upon her, merely hoping I could provide ideas that suit her requirements.

It is very much affordable and definitely falls into 'want' rather than 'need'. My main query was a request for any ideas I hadn't thought of, considering her aversion to technology as a whole.

Now that you have probably heard of all the possible vehicles, you should take the lady to some forecourts and find out whether she can accept the level of technology now on offer.

She doesn't NEED a new car. Maybe she just WANTS a new car. I assume it is her money - if it gives her pleasure then let her spend it.

The problem is the reason she cites for changing car - the 'cost' of 'fixing' the existing one's 'problems', all of which are minor and are ordinary wear and tear items, costing far less than buying a new one.

Forum members often use man maths to justify the answers they want - with cars it may be about the absolute need for particular gizmos, performance levels, design features. Rarely capable of financial or even (sometimes) rational explanation.

True, then why are they asking if they already know the answer won't be liked by the person in question.

Assuming her "want" is affordable, take her round a few garages to see what is available. She may decide (a) she doesn't like any of them, (b) she likes the most comfortable, (c) actually a screen is rather fun.

Or to prove to her that what she's got is fine and can be easily and cheaply fixed, leaving her bank balance in a far more healthy state than shelling out for a new one.

To some 80 is ancient. But assuming she is still capable of driving, and has a working brain she should choose (with your informed support), not have a solution foisted upon her.

True, but if she's genuinely asking for an honest opinion, then giving one she may not like but needs to hear is very important. Enabling a bad choice just to keep someone (in the short term) happy at the expense of the longer term, especially when they may have little experience in the matter is a bad way to go.

Ironically, from my experience, most people of that age actually appreciate their existing, less complex cars more than the tech-laden new ones, would want to keep their cash and thus normally would actively WANT to try to keep their existing car well maintained rather than buying a new one.

To me, she likely hasn't thought this through, and thus DOES need guidance. She's free to ignore it, of course.

"Sit her down and ask her politely what she understands by the term 'depreciation'."

Oh, she knows exactly what depreciation is. I suppose not everyone wants to rock around in 23 year old Ford Focus.

If she's got the money and health, then why not. It's not something I would do and probably not many of forum members either but her new car will mean someone gets a decent used car to buy.

An impossible quest? - DavidGlos
Not sure if many of the potential replacement vehicles have an electric parking brake (…is that a thing on city cars?), but I can’t imagine that she’d want to get to grips with that. Further justification for sticking with the Ka!

Some elderly relatives of mine (early 80s) had all sorts of fun and games when they acquired a second hand Golf mk 7 and then discovered the EPB and auto hold function!

Edited by DavidGlos on 18/05/2022 at 21:02

Not sure if many of the potential replacement vehicles have an electric parking brake (…is that a thing on city cars?), but I can’t imagine that she’d want to get to grips with that. Further justification for sticking with the Ka! Some elderly relatives of mine (early 80s) had all sorts of fun and games when they acquired a second hand Golf mk 7 and then discovered the EPB and auto hold function!

Was it an auto as well? I had a mk 7.5 golf auto and hill starts involved sending a carrier pigeon from the accelerator to the wheels.

An impossible quest? - catsdad

The EPB and hold functions on my manual Golf are left enabled. It felt odd for the first few times (oddly when pulling to a halt rather than setting off). Thereafter their operation is seamless and as long as you ignore them there is nothing to concern the driver whatever their age. As it happens I didn’t want an EPB but I am a convert…..until it needs a costly repair.

I doubt most city cars have them anyway so it’s probably not a consideration here.

An impossible quest? - thunderbird
Not sure if many of the potential replacement vehicles have an electric parking brake (…is that a thing on city cars?), but I can’t imagine that she’d want to get to grips with that. Further justification for sticking with the Ka! Some elderly relatives of mine (early 80s) had all sorts of fun and games when they acquired a second hand Golf mk 7 and then discovered the EPB and auto hold function!

Was it an auto as well? I had a mk 7.5 golf auto and hill starts involved sending a carrier pigeon from the accelerator to the wheels.

The auto handbrake in our Octavia is truly excellent. Does exactly what it should with no driver input. We set it to the auto position when we collected the car 3 weeks ago and have not touched the button since.

It became clear to us a couple of years ago when we had a Volvo XC40 on a 2 day loan that the auto handbrake was an essential on our next car. The wifes arthritis makes lifting the lever and pressing the button on a manual handbrake increasingly difficult. She found the XC40 simple to operate.

Having said that we tested an Avensis in 2010 and the handbrake buttons were in the most stupid place imaginable and this was not helped by a salesman who did not have a clue how to use the system. Told us we had to press the innacessible buttons when we stopped to set the brake and then press it again to release. Nealy caused a couple of incidents on the test.

Like all things there are good systems and terrible ones.

I think also that some people either need to slowly be 'eased' into using newer tech when used to 'old style' stuff and/or learn before they get to the 'old dog' phase (for them, anyway) of life.

My dad's one of those who has had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century as regards buying, and learning how to use newer tech generally. He never reads instruction manuals, even the easy-to-use ones!

I don't think it helps with such people when manufacturers (whether cars, TVs, mobile phones, whatever) only sell gear designed for people already comfortable with new tech. Not everyone was brought up learning (or wishing to [like my dad]) how to effectively use computer tech or new gadgets.

My dad's one of those who has had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century as regards buying, and learning how to use newer tech generally. He never reads instruction manuals, even the easy-to-use ones!

Something that annoys me is when manufacturers try the one-size-fits-all technique of supplying one large pictorial description sheet showing how to assemble something. Instead of trying to interpret English compiled by a Chinese, we have to make sense of little pictures littered with arrows and other symbols. All to avoid producing French and German versions (and a dozen others).

Have any recent cars reached that stage ?

An impossible quest? - primus 1

I also think you should take her around the garages of the cars that have been mentioned that are a similar size to the ka ( ignis,i10 ect) let her see if she likes any of them, then decide from there

I will certainly offer and give an update as to what she decides to do.

I learnt today my mother in law has been out and bought a 2 year old Ka+. No doubt paid top dollar but as long as she's happy...

An impossible quest? - SLO76

I learnt today my mother in law has been out and bought a 2 year old Ka+. No doubt paid top dollar but as long as she's happy...

No bad thing. These are simple and robust, they still use a version of the old Yamaha designed motor first seen back in 1996 in the Fiesta.
An impossible quest? - sammy1

I had a loner Ka only for a day years ago, but it made an impression on me, great little car!