Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - _

Russia to take over Renault’s Moscow factory to revive Soviet-era car

French carmaker joins other western firms leaving Russian market, with option to return within six years

The development, which was met with ridicule by Russians with long memories, follows Renault’s decision to join the wave of western companies such as McDonald’s and Siemens leaving the Russian market as the war in Ukraine nears its fourth month.

Renault has ceded its 68% stake in Russia’s biggest carmaker, AvtoVAZ, with an option to buy it back within six years. According to media reports, the company’s Russian assets were sold for one rouble, meaning the city of Moscow has effectively taken control of the factory free.

Renault’s CEO, Luca de Meo, said in statement that the company was protecting its future business in Russia. “Today we have taken a difficult but necessary decision, and we are making a responsible choice towards our 45,000 employees in Russia while preserving the group’s performance and our ability to return to the country in the future.”

Hawkish commentators such as the head of Russia Today, Margarita Simonyan, have said foreign companies that leave the Russian market should have their local assets seized. Moscow’s mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, appeared to defend Renault’s decision and said the city would take over the factory to prevent unemployment.

“The foreign owner decided to close the Moscow Renault plant,” said Sobyanin. “This is its right, but we cannot allow thousands of workers to be left without work. Therefore, I decided to take the plant under control of the city and resume the production of passenger cars under the historical Moskvitch brand. We will try to keep most of the team working directly at the plant and its associates.”

For Russians who have joked about the country’s return to Soviet isolation, the revival of the Moskvitch was the perfect punchline. “Russia has invented a time machine,” wrote one. “It can move the whole country through time, but only back into the Soviet Union.”

The satirical website Panorama predicted the revival of the Moskvitch a month ago when it wrote a fake headline that the Renault factory had “assembled its first Moskvitch in 20 years”.

“Panorama does not make predictions, we report exclusively on real news from the future,” it wrote on Monday after the deal was announced.

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Ethan Edwards

Buying a car manufacturer for a nominal amount is one thing. You need virtually bottomless pockets for design , R&D etc or you end up making old Rover designs slathered in plastic and calling them Streetwise . Or trying to sell sub continent small cars with minimal changes and new badges stuck on them, for three times what you bought them for. Bringing back any of the old Russian designs would make the Metro look like a Space Shuttle. Its a sad joke.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 16/05/2022 at 17:53

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - paul 1963

Take it your considering one ORB? You've had your current car a while now :)

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Steveieb

I’m wondering if the new cars will actually be rebadged Dacia s which they used to make under licence . I really can’t believe they would resurrect the Moskvich when they already have a relatively up to date model ?

So maybe the supply chain may be in place and engines made locally . So all that will change is the current Lada badge changed for Moskvich?

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Speedbird 747

McDonalds have pulled out too. Closed 853 restaurants due to the imposition of a ‘no fry zone’.

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Metropolis.
I heard their new catch phrase is: Im leavin it!
Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Ethan Edwards

No Fry Zone..classic. Really appreciate a good Bun.

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - edlithgow

I’m wondering if the new cars will actually be rebadged Dacia s which they used to make under licence . I really can’t believe they would resurrect the Moskvich when they already have a relatively up to date model ?

So maybe the supply chain may be in place and engines made locally . So all that will change is the current Lada badge changed for Moskvich?

Well, like, OF COURSE.

I assume most commentators have actually heard of "badge engineering", so have to assume they are being deliberately obtuse, and/or think they are joking.

Big loss for Renault though. I wonder what caused them to do it, since European geopolitical defense policy probably isn't their primary corporate concern.

Maybe a bit of arm twisting by the French government shareholder?

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Falkirk Bairn

Renault's biggest shareholder is the French Government.

They took a long time to decide to leave compared to BP/Shell/Coca Cola etc

Trouble for the Russian Factory, like all car makers, is that parts are made all over the world.

VW slowed production in many factories as some wiring looms made in Ukraine. Undoubtedly some parts for the Russian plant will be source from Renault or Renault suppliers all over Europe & the Far East.

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - daveyK_UK

3% of the Renault Russian car factory components are imported from France
Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - John F

I was in Berlin last week and noticed a large parking lot full of old Trabants, which the locals use to amuse the the tourists. Perhaps they will soon be on a train eastwards?

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Terry W

I suspect most multinationals see pulling out of Russia as a way to limit global brand damage.

Mac D have 38000 branches worldwide. They would happily sacrifice ~2% of these in Russia to avoid alienating customers in other locations.

Renault additionally probably have more direct government pressure to deal with.

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Falkirk Bairn

>>3% of the Renault Russian car factory components are imported from France

I did say that there would be shortages of parts for Russian Renaults

CEO of Renault on the decision to withdraw from Russian Car Manufacture

Chief executive Luca de Meo told the Financial Times that the company was “forced to decide” because it was no longer able to build cars in the country.

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - Steveieb

Apparently it was Carlos Ghosm who struck a very profitable deal for Renault with Putin. What an amazing corporate head and what a way to end up in a cello case !

Wonder what he is up to in Lebanon

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - John F

Apparently it was Carlos Ghosm who struck a very profitable deal for Renault with Putin. What an amazing corporate head and what a way to end up in a cello case !

Wonder what he is up to in Lebanon

Trying to sell his overseas property to pay his lawyers?

Renault out... From The Guardian - New Moskvich - daveyK_UK
The 3% direct from France does not include any parts that come from the rest of the EU.

Some of the Dacia Romanian part suppliers also supply to the Renault Russia factory.