1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - AM91

Hi, looking for a new car.. An Estate type but petrol due to the low mileage i do daily (so the petrol takes away alot of the selection).. i like the look of the Kia Proceed budget up tp around £18k.
The Kia is only a 1.4L engine, is this engine big enough for the size of car? and also would the car be okay to tow small camping tralier now & again?

Any other suggestions / advice on car model.

Thanks

Edited by AM91 on 09/05/2022 at 21:51

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - Big John

There are Kia 1.4s & 1.4's. Are you talking the normally aspirated older 1.4 - then that's probably a no

or the newer (which I think you are) 1.4 turbo 0-60mph 8.80 seconds Top Speed 130 mph Engine power 138 bhp Engine torque 178.00 lbs/ft - then that's a yes.

I have a Superb 1.4tsi that tugs along surprisingly well, does 126mph and averages mid 40's mpg - and thus far has done 100k miles and still sounds the same as when I bought it nearly new.

Edited by Big John on 10/05/2022 at 00:13

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - badbusdriver

The question should be, is the engine powerful enough?.

My Dad used to have a Ford Granada estate with a 2.8 V6 engine. It had less power and torque than the 1.4 turbo in the ProCeed.

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - _

I had a Venga 1.4 manual, about the same weight as the 2013-2019 proceed 3 dr 1.4 sr7.

Performance was perfectly adequate, if you want to keep your license..

I would have no hesitation about buying one, if that was what i wanted or needed.

The venga would pick up and go nicely when needed.

We travelled in Belgium and france with it and it kept up nicely with traffic then.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/05/2022 at 08:16

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - catsdad

I have a 1.4 Golf estate in the lower of the two powers available (124hp). It’s very capable and in fact is pretty much on par in performance with the original GTI but easily capable of over 50 mpg. Smaller engined cars have come a long way on performance and economy in recent years.

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - thunderbird

Cannot comment about a modern Kia 1.4 turbo but feel I can make other worthwhile comments.

We have owned a 1.0 TSi 110 PS Fabia for 2 1/2 years now, its predecessors were a 1.8 Mk 2 Focus with 125 PS and before that a Mk 1 1.8 Focus with 115 PS. Not as big as the Mk 2 but not much smaller than the Mk 1, superminis have grown. The performance from the 1.0 TSi is much better than the larger non-turbo Fords, it still amazes me after 2 1/2 years. Its the torque that gives it this go and there is no lag provided you are over 2,000 rpm. The Fords did about 35 mpg, the Fabia has averaged about 48 mpg thus far.

Its a win win.

I had a Venga 1.4 manual, about the same weight as the 2013-2019 proceed 3 dr 1.4 sr7.

Performance was perfectly adequate, if you want to keep your license

When we bought the Mk 2 Focus we tried a Ceed 1.6 petrol which was supposed to have the same power as the Ford. I have no idea where they had hidden it at low revs, you really had to rag it to get the performance out of it. That car did very well as the Top Gear reasonably priced car but that was being thrashed on a track, the Fords were far better in the real world on the road.

I presume that the ProCeed that the OP is considering is the current much bigger version (coupe/estate type) since he wants an "estate" type car. No idea if that is available with the old 1.6, if it is I doubt its much of a performer. But like all Kia's of old will probably be quite thirsty. We looked at that car in our recent search, it ticked pretty much all of our boxes but owners reported poor economy and our chosen model (1.6 GDi-T DSG) has an Honest John real mpg of only 29.3 mpg. The 1.4t has a better figure of 37.4 mpg but that is some way off the Octavia 1.4 TSi 150 PS which has a figure of 48.5 mpg, about 30% better. All figures quoted are Honest John which I have always found to be close enough to the real world.

I suggest that the OP gets a drive in the Proceed 1.4T and then decides if its what he wants. Others brands are available, as I said above, the Octavia springs immediately to mind.

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - ifekas

I have got a Ceed hatch with the 1.4TGDi 140 engine. If you're buying a manual you'll probably be ok with the amount of power, but if I was buying again since I will only have an auto I would either look at the newer 1.5TGDi or have a hybrid that masks the engine's lack of response at low revs.

At faster speeds of say 50mph or above, the car feels very lively and responsive and accelerates well even without it changing down from top (7th gear).

If I'm pottering round at say 30mph which it can be doing about 1500rpm and put my foot down, there is very little acceleration and it seems to take an age for the car to decide to change down.

My previous KIA, a Ceed estate had the 1.6CRDi 115 with a TC gearbox and it never failed to give me the acceleration I wanted quickly regardless of what speed I was doing despite it having less power; but I'm sure a lot of the deficiencies I have relate to the auto gearbox rather than the engine itself; if you needed acceleration on a manual you would pre-select a lower gear.

In hindsight I should have test driven the CRDi with the DCT to see if that provided more consistent performance, and if so would have gone for that even though I don't do a high mileage. But supply was very limited and nothing suitable available locally at the time.

I might have been unlucky, but one of the coil packs on mine went two months ago. It was fixed without fuss under warranty, but was quite a nuisance. Thankfully I wasn't far from home when it happened - I was on the motorway when there was terrible juddering and a loss of power. Oddly no lamps came on the dash though if I tried to accelerate, the EML lamp would flash which indicates unburned fuel, and the idle was raised to about 1500rpm.

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - Dag Hammar

The Kia Proceed is one fine looking vehicle, it was No 2 on my shortlist when I was looking for a car in mid 2019.
One thing you may consider is the availability of a towbar to fit the car that you choose, they can be expensive. The size of the boot in the Proceed is very large and you may be able to utilise that space and avoid getting a towbar.

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - John F

Sixty years ago our family Rover P4 produced just over 100hp which was enough for the handbook to contain the following advice - 'for sustained speeds above 90mph, inflate the tyres by an additional 4psi'. Sadly, speeds have declined as available power has increased, so we now have the absurd situation of 200+hp cars being very occasionally allowed to proceed at 70mph if the camera festooned dual carriageway is clear. I think you will find that any car with over 100hp can keep up with today's trundling traffic, even towing a small trailer, because it usually moves little faster than the ubiquitous speed limited lorries.

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - Big John

I think you will find that any car with over 100hp can keep up with today's trundling traffic, even towing a small trailer, because it usually moves little faster than the ubiquitous speed limited lorries.

It's how the 100hp is delivered. If an engine has low torque at low revs but the power can be achieved by sending the revs towards the red line then real life driving will be unpleasant - especially as engines like this are usually geared for higher revs at motorway speeds.

This is very different to modern turbo petrol engined cars that generally pull well from low revs and engine revs at motorway speeds are much lower. My 125ps 1.4tsi Superb cruises at 2000 rpm in sixth gear and pulls surprisingly well if needed at this speed without having to bother changing gear etc. Oh and on a motorway run 50mpg sometimes achievable if traffic not bonkers.

There are exceptions to this - a good test drive is essential!!

Edited by Big John on 13/05/2022 at 21:22

1.4 Petrol Engine Big Enough? - edlithgow

Does it, with ancilliaries, completely fill the engine compartment, so that all routine maintenance tasks require it to be removed?

If the answer is YES, then it meets current standards, and so must be considered big enough.

My engine is only about half as big as it should be. Maybe less.