Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - Metropolis.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to update an inbuilt sat nav dating from 2012.

I have come across a website called satnavishop that offers map updates for inbuilt systems at a fraction of the price of the main dealer. £200.00 vs £69.00.

The maps are still being supported and the latest map version is end of 2021. I prefer using the inbuilt system on a car rather than the phone or separate sat nav, and it does not have apple carplay so that halfway measure isn't an option.

Anyone got experience of www.satnavishop.co.uk/ or perhaps know how they get the maps? I don't want to end up with a substandard map update that makes the routing go funny, if such a thing exists.

Perhaps they all buy it from the same supplier as the manufacturer, I think the original map is Navteq based?

What's the catch?

Thanks

Edited by Metropolis. on 25/04/2022 at 18:57

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - xenon

In the past week I have updated the maps on my car, a 2019 Kia Ceed and my wife's car a 2017 Ford Fiesta. Both updates were from the manufacturer's websites and were free. The Kia was straightforward the Ford less so involving dowmloading over 20Gb of map data. Only succeeded with the Ford after searching a Ford owner's forum for a piece of information totally unmentioned on the Ford website regarding the correct format of the memory stick.

Nice to hear manufacturers are starting to offer free updates! potentially £200.00 per year is crazy, but in my case it will be a 10 year leap.

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - movilogo

In the past week I have updated the maps on my car, a 2019 Kia Ceed and my wife's car a 2017 Ford Fiesta. Both updates were from the manufacturer's websites and were free.

In the past Kia used to charge for sat nav updates. Have they made it free now?

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - RT

Some of the satnav updates are from hackers in Russia - I got mine in 2019 from Vag-technik, not the linked seller, but was very pleased with it - it included new firmware, new software, new maps and excellent instructions.

I'd like to update again but I'll defer it until the situation in Ukraine has settled down.

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - veloceman
Just stick your phone on the windscreen.
Google/Apple maps much better than built in Sat nav and constantly updated too.

I really just prefer to use the inbuilt, that way there is nothing getting in the way of the view out of the windscreen and it is better integrated to the car's audio. If the car had apple carplay i would revert to google maps, but this car doesn't have that.

I see, I wonder if the dealer would notice in the event of a warranty issue with the sat nav unit? I don't believe it would be the cause, but they might try...

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - RT

I see, I wonder if the dealer would notice in the event of a warranty issue with the sat nav unit? I don't believe it would be the cause, but they might try...

If it's a VW Group car, then yes the dealer will notice as a non-dealer update sets an error code in the diagnostics.

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - Falkirk Bairn

Honda wanted £240 for a updated disk. They reduced this about 2 years ago to £45.

This price reduction was unknown to me and I bought a disk from satnavishop - £25 and it works fine.

My Sat Nav is not 100% now due to Honda - it has a Y22 malfunction on setting the time on the screen. Nothing to do with the new disk - all to do with dates on satellites. It should sort itself out in August when it will revert to 2002 and show the right time.

Sat nav updates - Dealership or aftermarket - Brit_in_Germany

It is highly likely that these types of sat nav supplier are not legitimate and their products are contravening the rights of the original supplier. For example, the address given for satnavishop is shared with a many other businesses. They will not have any offices here and at best it is just a mail forwarding address.

Edit- just a mailing address run by "Your Company Formations Ltd", "Many of our clients choose to use our professional Registered Office service in order to give their company a legitimate grounding in Central London. The prestigious location looks professional on company documents and gives prospective clients some reassurances."

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 26/04/2022 at 12:27