Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - mcb100
I’ve been running a new Suzuki S-Cross for just over a week now, as part of the launch activity, and it’s impressing me.
Aesthetically, it’s a big step forward from the previous versions, with a more contemporary nose and tail treatment and internally the traditional Suzuki quality fit and finish has been supplemented with some soft touch materials within reach of the passenger on the dashboard.
There’s only one engine, and it’s the 1.4 Boosterjet with the addition of a 48V mild hybrid. Very torquey, you can get through the gears early and rely on a combination of a turbo and electrics to pull effectively at low speeds in high gears. Performance is good when needed, and I’m getting 45-46mpg from a now 900 mile old motor.
Two trim levels - Motion and Ultra, the lower one being FWD and the upper having Suzuki’s Allgrip AWD system.
Good sized touch screens, 7 inch and 9 inch, but physical climate control buttons are retained, as is a manual handbrake.
Well worth investigating if you’re looking for a C segment SUV.
Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - movilogo

Suzuki makes good cars. I owned Suzuki before. I like that they only offer necessary features and don't overload their cars with unnecessary gizmos.

While Suzuki is big player in other parts of the world, they never made it big in UK. My 2 nearest Suzuki dealers shut down even before pandemic.

I think Suzuki faces main competition from Kia and Toyota as both offer longer warranties. Suzuki is not particularly cheap either to cover that shortfall.

Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - SLO76
“ Performance is good when needed, and I’m getting 45-46mpg from a now 900 mile old motor.”

A perfectly pleasant little car and it’ll no doubt be utterly reliable, however all that added hybrid complexity and it’s barely doing 4/5mpg more than my old petrol Avensis estate. The added cost and the additional repair costs later in life aren’t offset by this marginal economy gain.
Being an SUV it has, compared to a regular hatch, the aerodynamics of Downton Abbey.
The extra complexity consists of a 48V lithium ion battery under the passenger seat and a combined motor/generator instead of a starter and alternator - it’s hardly the Space Shuttle.
Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - SLO76
Being an SUV it has, compared to a regular hatch, the aerodynamics of Downton Abbey. The extra complexity consists of a 48V lithium ion battery under the passenger seat and a combined motor/generator instead of a starter and alternator - it’s hardly the Space Shuttle.

You’ll find the cost of replacing either and the upgraded stop/start battery eye watering plus the hybrid system will be adding a good £1500 or more to the cost of the car in the first place. I’d rather have the option of a simple petrol model without the near worthless hybrid tech. The marginal difference in economy simply isn’t worth it.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/01/2022 at 14:55

Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - Falkirk Bairn

Toyota brought out a fully fledged Prius over 23 years ago.

In the last 2 years or so Dozens of brands have bought bolt on low tech so they can have a a tick in the box for the specification and a Hybrid badge on the boot / hatch.

Their value? Modest at best today but as Slo says it could be a nightmare when the cars are past the 3 year warranty.

Toyota are giving an up to 10 warranty on their cars and 15 years on the Hybrid battery.

Suzuki Across ( RAV4 twin) 3 year warranty and 5 year on the Hybrid battery - apart from some trim & badges the car is basically the same.

Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - movilogo

Why there is a tendency to bundle a hybrid even if just a token hybrid and offers no real benefit as such?

Does it reduce emissions thereby giving some tax advantage to manufacturers?

Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - thunderbird

Toyota brought out a fully fledged Prius over 23 years ago.

In the last 2 years or so Dozens of brands have bought bolt on low tech so they can have a a tick in the box for the specification and a Hybrid badge on the boot / hatch.

Agree with that.

We test drove a Corolla 2 litre and found it brilliant in town where it was happy to drive silently on electric providing you were gentle with the throttle. On a 70 mph dual carriageway I was surprised when the ICE dropped out and it drove on electric power alone on a flat piece of road for quite a distance. It was spoilt somewhat in the Peak District when at times there were plenty of revs and not much action but that's not unusual for most auto's.

But these mild hybrids would do none of that. The mild hybrid bit is there only to enhance the stop/start function, they will not drive on electric power. Even the loonies in Government accept this which is why Mild Hybrids will be banned from sale at the same time as ICE cars. No 5 years stay of execution like hybrids and plug in hybrids. I think the deciding factor is how far they will drive solely on electric power which for a mild hybrid is ZERO miles.

I think it reduces the CO's for the manufacturers thus reduces the fine they get for exceeding the limit set.

Like old style stop/start its a con.

Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - badbusdriver

Why there is a tendency to bundle a hybrid even if just a token hybrid and offers no real benefit as such?

Yes, and that is the main reason for them becoming much more common, to the point that it will probably soon become difficult to buy a car which is not, at the very least, a mild hybrid (MHEV).

MHEV's are a relatively cheap means for a manufacturer to bring down their overall fleet emissions, that is to say, taking all the cars they sell into account. Failing to meet the very stringent targets will result in truly huge fines, so it is very much in the manufacturers interest to do so.

Of course they are just a stopgap, because come 2030, no new MHEV's will be able to be sold (just as with ICE) because a MHEV can't run on electric alone.

With regards to their effectiveness, as with 'full hybrids', a certain driving style is best. Driving in the aggressive manner typical of the modern driver, any benefit would probably be down to quicker acting stop start along with the ability, on higher end MHEV's, to 'coast'. But for other, 'better' drivers, the benefits could be much more worthwhile. For example, when What Car did their 'real world mpg' test on the Suzuki Ignis MHEV, it returned nearly 20% higher mpg than the non MHEV version.

Suzuki S-Cross - Impressions - Ethan Edwards

45 to 46 is pretty decent I had an Auto Vitara using the previous incarnation of that 1.4turbo 140bhp and no mild hybrid. Drive it as you should 40mpg if you drove it super lightly then you might be able to match that mpg. My concern was that the hybrid version that gorgeous 1.4 is detuned to 108bhp (or thereabouts) and that's sacrilegious. S Cross sounds lovely mate and I expect she'll serve you well.

S Cross sounds lovely mate and I expect she'll serve you well.

I don't think mcb100 owns the car, something about a launch activity.

Quite right, I’m giving it back at the end of next week. I should be picking up a new Vauxhall Grandland at the end of the month, initial impressions to follow.

Edited by mcb100 on 15/01/2022 at 19:38

Quite right, I’m giving it back at the end of next week. I should be picking up a new Vauxhall Grandland at the end of the month, initial impressions to follow.

Is this the new version which uses the 'face' of the new Mokka?.

Plug in hybrid (pre-facelift) version was used as a longterm test car by Car Magazine a year or two ago. As far as I recall they liked it well enough save for the price, which was around £40k(!), though this was the top of the range version packing around 300bhp.

Yes, it is. I may also have a new shape Astra to hand.