Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Sri Cdti 108 - EGR Problems - James44

3 weeks ago the Mrs's Astra started to lose power and became undrivable. She took it to the garage and they diagnosed a blocked EGR and cleaned it out.

It worked ok until last night when the same problem happened. The AA diagnosed it as a PO409 EGR Sensor A Circuit problem, the same as before.

The guy cleared the fault codes and told us it needed a new EGR but we were able to drive the 10 miles home ok.

That's the background.

We've got a car on order but delivery is still a few months away. We don't want to spend on this one if we can avoid it.

How much is it to replace an EGR?

Is blanking it off a cheaper option?

Can we just clear the fault codes if it happens again? It ran fine after the AA did it last night.

Thanks

Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Sri Cdti 108 - EGR Problems - Railroad.

If the EGR valve works and moves from fully open to fully closed then it's unlikely that replacing it will cure anything. It's also very likely that if the EGR valve is blocked with carbon deposits then so is the whole of the air intake system downstream of it. I'd consider removing the inlet manifold and thoroughly cleaning it. I'd suggest scraping out the worst first, and then letting it soak in a bucket of a 50/50 mix of Traffic Film Remover and water.

Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Sri Cdti 108 - EGR Problems - edlithgow

I had good results with a VERY clogged Honda Accord system using brake fluid in situ, along with some SS wire with a loop on the end.

Note, however, that on the Honda, at least, the cleaning stuff can leak back into the cylinder(s). If I hadn't thought of this at the last minute and turned it over with the plugs out, I might have damaged it due to hydrolocking.

Smoked A LOT and maybe wasn't kind to the catalyst, but cleared eventually