gear problem ford galaxy - jax
Hi
Can anyone shed any light on a problem I am having with my Galaxy. The car is a Ford Galaxy 2.3GLX auto 1998. Sometimes when I start it, I can not select any gears and the break lights do not work. After a while it selects the gear and the lights work fine. If I start the car with the gear selector switch pressed in I can select the gears but the lights still do not work. It is obviously a intermittent fault as it is fine most of the time. Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be wrong with it?

Many Thanks
gear problem ford galaxy - Altea Ego
Modern autos have an interlock between the brake and the gearbox.
This was brought in after a series of accidents in the US by people putting foot on throttle and putting car into drive. Drive can not be selected unless foot is on brake.

Now if your car has this feature I would strongly suspect this interlock curcuit. Favourite would be the brake light switch to start with.
gear problem ford galaxy - Aprilia
Yes, spot on RF. It will most likely be the switch. Check its adjustment before replacing.
thanx for the reply ??
one more question where is the switch
many thanks again
gear problem ford galaxy - Altea Ego
Dont know this car but they are usually tucked up in the pedal box, and operate from the foot brake lever. Usually very difficult to get in there and see.
thanx again
what you have told me ties in with a few of the other things that are happening.
once again thanx for your help.
Richard
gear problem ford galaxy - jc
Just remember it's a VW box.
gear problem ford galaxy - Michmh
If it is your brake light switch, it is a little awkward to get to but can be done at home. The switch is above the brake pedal and requires twisting thru about 90 deg. to release it. (A bit like a lamp bayonet)
New switches come with their operating plunger fully extended. Haynes manual suggest that you leave it at this length and as you fit the switch the plunger compresses into the switch body by the right amount to contact the pedal. I've found that setting the switch like this means that a lot of pedal pressure is required before the brake light switch operates. This can confuse following motorists who have no idea you're braking.
The VAG switch actually has two preset positions and one of these is correct for the Galaxy pedal. To set the switch to the correct pre-set position, gently compress the plunger until it clicks solidly in the position suitable for the Galaxy pedal. Once set , install it to the pedal bracket. Cost about £7 from Ford.

Hope this helps