Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - JCBBFC27

Hello

As the car market looks as it's crashed in terms of cost of used cars and waiting availability on new I thought I could use this in my favour. I am currently on a PCP with a 2018 Swift which is now out of Warranty. I've valued my car on many sites which is telling me consistently my car's worth over a grand more than the remainder of my deal. Some of these sites will buy out my car out of its contract. The wait for new Swift's aren't long as in the UK I wouldn't say they're nearly as popular as others. Do I let a company buy out my contract and would it be a good idea to get a brand new one which would cost abit more a month but has its Suzuki Warranty with it and all the new features such as the tempting hybrid engine. What should I be wary of if I proceed with this? Just a rough thought at the moment. Thank you for reading.

Edited by JCBBFC27 on 17/11/2021 at 16:33

Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - movilogo

What is the reason for wanting a new car? Just because out of warranty or some other reason?

AFAIK, you can extend Suzuki warranty if you want (I did when I had Suzuki).

What is the reason for wanting a new car? Just because out of warranty or some other reason?

AFAIK, you can extend Suzuki warranty if you want (I did when I had Suzuki).

I was wanting Cruise control and a Hybrid Engine also as it would suit my needs.

Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - badbusdriver

You may find that a short wait for the new car is due to you wanting a spec that is already 'in the country'. If you are looking for an unusual combo of spec and colour, I,e, factory order, that may take longer.

Also, I take it you are aware that the Swift is a 'mild hybrid'?. This means it won't run on electric power alone. Though going by a What Car video I watched re the Ignis mild hybrid, it was still usefully more efficient than the non-mild hybrid version.

One last thing, Suzuki's are very reliable, so I wouldn't be giving the car up because you worry something will break on it. This is very unlikely!

You may find that a short wait for the new car is due to you wanting a spec that is already 'in the country'. If you are looking for an unusual combo of spec and colour, I,e, factory order, that may take longer.

Also, I take it you are aware that the Swift is a 'mild hybrid'?. This means it won't run on electric power alone. Though going by a What Car video I watched re the Ignis mild hybrid, it was still usefully more efficient than the non-mild hybrid version.

One last thing, Suzuki's are very reliable, so I wouldn't be giving the car up because you worry something will break on it. This is very unlikely!

Oh my Step Mum has owned a Suzuki for 6 years and only one thing has gone wrong with it. Mine hasn't had one issue apart from the Tire Wall being heavily damaged. That's why I wanted to stick with them reliability wise. Think the idea just excites me getting the brand new one as I feel it's a realistic opportunity at the moment. That is a thought with the waiting time if I want a specific one so thank you for that I'll try and enquire more about it. And I didn't want a fully electric but hybrid seemed like the perfect mix for me.

Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - paul 1963

I had a last gen swift.( 4x4 model) utterly superb in every respect, had more cornering talent than I had!

currently got a Vitara..2 months old today, brilliant car.

Please be aware all new Suzuki are on a 3-4 month lead time and they will no.longer have features such as sat nav, android/ Apple play etc due to the current chip shortage, we got lucky and got one of the last full fat cars available.

Edit: The Suzuki hybrid system is brilliant btw , gives a real kick in the pants when it kicks in.

Edited by paul 1963 on 17/11/2021 at 19:50

I had a last gen swift.( 4x4 model) utterly superb in every respect, had more cornering talent than I had!

currently got a Vitara..2 months old today, brilliant car.

Please be aware all new Suzuki are on a 3-4 month lead time and they will no.longer have features such as sat nav, android/ Apple play etc due to the current chip shortage, we got lucky and got one of the last full fat cars available.

Edit: The Suzuki hybrid system is brilliant btw , gives a real kick in the pants when it kicks in.

Ouch after having a good look at the market suddenly new cars are looking less attractive especially if they're missing features that come standard in most modern cars. But agreed the Suzuki car range is underated by many, I love how the cars are so easy and fun to drive like go-carts almost. I'll see what the dealerships want to sell me see if new cars are worth it in current times.

The chip thing isn't just effecting Suzuki, I know for a fact that Vauxhall have quietly dropped some features from a lot of models.

Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - daveyK_UK
Cruise control is a must with the growing number of average speed cameras; sell and upgrade to a new swift would be my advice.

The hybrid should boost your mpg by as much as 20%

If your not fussy on colour there are a few Swifts in UK stock
Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - daveyK_UK
On the subject of chip shortages, new VW caddy orders are quietly being de specced ; I assume Ford Tourneo connects and Transit connects will go the same way as they are the exact same car/van now
Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - Andrew-T
The hybrid should boost your mpg by as much as 20%.

Because it only counts the 'gallons' you add to the tank, not the other fossil fuel (probably) used to charge the battery. Unless it is clever enough to ignore the miles clocked up when in EV mode ?

Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - mcb100
The Swift is a ‘Mild Hybrid’ and doesn’t have an EV mode. It provided electrical assistance, via a belt, from a motor/generator to the crank. It’s primary purpose is to assist in accelerating from a standstill and low speeds, thus needing smaller throttle openings.
Suzuki Swift Hybrid - Buying new car in current times - Andrew-T

Thanks for all that useful info, chaps. So it is partly regenerative braking, and hardly a 'hybrid' at all in the true sense ?

Because it only counts the 'gallons' you add to the tank, not the other fossil fuel (probably) used to charge the battery. Unless it is clever enough to ignore the miles clocked up when in EV mode ?

Andrew, you've got it wrong, self charging hybrids, that's the entire Suzuki range btw, recover energy that would otherwise be wasted during coasting and braking to charge the battery this then gets used to power the electric motor that helps out the engine at times when it needs to work hardest thus the engine burns less fuel.

I actually found the battery on my car today! ( im very sad!!) it's about the size of a briefcase.

The Swift 'hybrid' is a mild hybrid, so it won't run purely on electric. The battery is small enough to charge through brake regen and nothing else. If you ignore the extra cost of buying a mild hybrid (not really relevant, as you can't buy a Swift which isn't MHEV), the efficiency benefits are effectively free as the extra weight is negligible.

Thanks for all that useful info, chaps. So it is partly regenerative braking, and hardly a 'hybrid' at all in the true sense ?

A mild hybrid (MHEV) is the very smallest of baby steps towards an EV. That is not to say they area waste of time because they aren't, the economy benefit is very real. Obviously that can and will vary from car to car, but a fairly relevant example is regarding another Suzuki using the same running gear as the Swift.

What Car's real world mpg result on a Suzuki Ignis (non MHEV) was 50.9mpg, the MHEV version of the same car managed 59.6mpg.