WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - Trilogy.

In September many of you will be aware I was asked by a friend to sell his Ford Focus. BTW, thank you for all the advice. At the time WBAC first offered £650 pounds, within days upped it to £700. Yesterday they sent an email offering £955. What's going on? Surely cars haven't increased in value so much. As an aside, having just sold the Saab 9-3 that had been in the family for 19 years, I bought the Focus.

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - FP

I usually keep an updated valuation from WBAC on my 2014 Mazda CX-5.

The amount has varied a lot, being well above £10,000 a year or more ago, then suddenly dropping about six months ago to just above £9,000. Just recently it went up again to £10,500 and down shortly afterwards to £10,000, then up to £10, 250 and then up again to £10,500.

No doubt WBAC has its algorithms etc., but it all seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Motorway, on the other hand, is now offering £11,461 (odd figure?), Cazoo is £10,600.

Edited by FP on 06/11/2021 at 21:22

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - Heidfirst

It is crazy - Cazoo's suggested valuation is under £1k less than I paid for this car (ex-dem Avensis petrol estate) 4 years ago. WBAC is about 2k under that & Motorway in the middle ...

Not that I have any intention of selling in the near term.

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - sammy1

Obviously some cars are in more demand than other and a lot depends on condition mileage and history as it always have . Only today it is reported that second hand car values are UP by an average of more than 20% in the last 6months and this means some are up a lot more than others. Averages are very deceiving. an offer of £660 upped to £995is a bit % but £20k upped to say £22k is only 10% for a lot more money. It is far easier to move on low price cars.

WBAC are probably going to sell it for £2k or more

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - SLO76
WBAC have upped their offer for SWMBO’s Volvo XC60 from just over £12500 to £14740 over the last few months. I paid £14995 for it at a Volvo main dealer at vet a year ago, which was at the time top money. Strange times and boy am I glad I bought when I did. I certainly wouldn’t be willing to pay the grossly inflated prices being asked today. Volvo and old Toyota will be here for the long term. Insane prices will surely see more older cars repaired rather than scrapped which is no bad thing for the environment despite the so-called expert opinions.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/11/2021 at 22:17

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - daveyK_UK
I am told WBAC are not getting the interest and the follow on appointment volume due to pressure in the market place from rivals.
Maybe they have had to sharpen there pencil and get more competitive with valuation offers to keep there market share?

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - alan1302
Insane prices will surely see more older cars repaired rather than scrapped which is no bad thing for the environment despite the so-called expert opinions.

Never seen anything saying a repaired car is not good for the environment - where have you?

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - SLO76
“ Never seen anything saying a repaired car is not good for the environment - where have you?”

We’re being encouraged out of older cars and into new electric and hybrid vehicles, there’s talk of scrappage schemes and in taxing older vehicles off the road plus city centre emissions schemes are forcing them out of towns. The introduction of fuel that older cars either can’t use or will be gradually damaged by isn’t exactly helpful either. But in reality a low to moderate mileage user is producing far less environmental damage by running their decade old Honda Jazz than someone who spends £25k or so on a new Honda Jazz Hybrid or electric equivalent.
WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - madf
“ Never seen anything saying a repaired car is not good for the environment - where have you?” We’re being encouraged out of older cars and into new electric and hybrid vehicles, there’s talk of scrappage schemes and in taxing older vehicles off the road plus city centre emissions schemes are forcing them out of towns. The introduction of fuel that older cars either can’t use or will be gradually damaged by isn’t exactly helpful either. But in reality a low to moderate mileage user is producing far less environmental damage by running their decade old Honda Jazz than someone who spends £25k or so on a new Honda Jazz Hybrid or electric equivalent.

thanks I expect to drive my Jazz - now 9 years old - until either it or I drop dead :-)

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - Falkirk Bairn

Neighbour bought a Nissan Pulsar for £11500 nearly 6 years ago.

T/I 2 weeks ago for £6500 IIRC so £5,000 depreciation in almost 6 years - £70/ month depreciation. Totally reliable in that time apart from a dual mass flywheel/clutch - it was an oil seal leak rather than misuse so was a warranty job!

The leasing companies will be loving the cars coming off lease just now - the residual value must have leapt by thousands on many of the cars.

£30K car with residual of £10K to12K after 3 or 4 years suddenly north of £15K!!!!

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - _

Stonic booked into Cazoo ipswich for 11AM tomorrow monday, although as I was close by the other day I dropped in and they did the assessment then, gave a value and 7 days to use it by, so completed booking yesterday, text confirmation this morning and will report tomorrow.

EDIT.

Cazoo have just called to cancel my booking as the car has not been owned by me for 3 months..

Edited by _ORB_ on 07/11/2021 at 12:06

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - sammy1

"""Never seen anything saying a repaired car is not good for the environment - where have you"""

Surely the materials used and the production of a NEW car is going to have a large new carbon footprint that was not there before it was made. So the argument is we should stop making new cars which is impractical. However when you run a new car you are still creating a carbon footprint even if electric. So the major saving is to buy second hand and run them into the ground

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - corax

Edited by corax on 07/11/2021 at 11:20

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - Terry W

At (say) 120gms CO2 per km and 20,000 km pa, the average car emits 2.4 tonnes of CO2 pa. A crude average depending on distance and emissions which can vary materially.

Manufacturing is estimated to produce approx 3-4 years worth of annual emissions when in use. This varies depending on battery or ICE, and manufacturing techniques. It is also unclear whether the calculation takes account of recycling and re-use of materials from scrapped vehicles.

Running a car for as long as possible to minimise aggregate emissions seems correct, but taken to a logical extreme we should all be driving cars from the dawn of motoring. As newer cars tend to be more fuel efficient (safer and less polluting) than old, there must come a point at which it becomes better to build new than repair.the completely obselete.

As is often the case, reality is likely to be driven by financial considerations, not the environment - availability of spares and costs of repairs being material drivers.

Stonic went for £16750 deal done and dusted. dealer offers were £16500 at 2 different korando dealers.

WBAC - 45% increase in initial offer - Senexdriver

Same story here with WBAC upping their valuation. Just before the pandemic changed everything my Audi A4 Avant was worth about £14K. Like others, I keep an eye on the value and most recently WBAC are offering me £19K.

I would dearly love to sell as I had to give up driving over a year ago, but for reasons I won’t bore you with I am unable to/not being allowed to by circumstances and by SWMBO. That said, I do bear in mind that WBAC’s offer is subject to seeing the car and from selling them a lovely car a couple of years ago I know that they try their darndest to find faults that can shave money off their initial offer.

I was happy with what I got, with 1 caveat.

The two dealers I asked, were not the dealer who i bought the car from,

His offer was a whole lot less, perhaps taking my brand loyalty too far, as I wouldn't buy a non-existant Sportage for 2 reasons.

1. The wait.

2 Model change in progress.