Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - meldrew

Possibly a predictable event but a family member had a low battery warning and decided the car, which started, needed a run out. It ran for five miles and died with no power whatsover in a dark country lane.

The car, nearly new, automatically phoned JLR who said I believe you have broken down. Yes she said. OK we will pick it up tomorrow!

Somewhat nonplussed she phoned Green Fflag with additional family membership. We will be out in an hour; or maybe two hours; or maybe.....

Husband looking after sleeping children could not picj her up but, with also fading phone battery phoned her brother who took her home and notified police of abandoned vehicle.

My main concerns are:

One - Should a modern car have even had its systems allow it to start in a defective state or given more warning of disaster.?

Two - Should the recovery service have been rather more concerned about a woman on her own on an unlit country road.

Three - Where do JLR get alternator drive belts from that do not last even six months?

I recount this story as an example of a sequence of events that can easily escalate and how we assume that modern technology will make all our decisions for us. Having spent many years driving British Leyland cars I always assumed tht they would break dow n- not a single one ever failed to complete its journey!

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - _

I. Green flag should prioritise a lone female. did she make that clear.?

2 JLR products are now built in bournville.....

3. I know it has been a while since i left, but wouldn't touch one even under warranty.

4. no modern car can predict a belt failure.

5 hopefully lesson learned, if wanting something decent, Toyota or lexus or sorrento/santa fe.

Get rid of.

Her circumstance were made clear but ignored. Lessons HAVE been learned and there will be a furthe refresher couse when I see her at the weekend!

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - bathtub tom

Possibly a predictable event but a family member had a low battery warning and decided the car, which started, needed a run out. It ran for five miles and died with no power whatsover in a dark country lane.

Three - Where do JLR get alternator drive belts from that do not last even six months?

Was the ignition warning light on with the engine running?

Not sure but said to be "low battery" warning. Agree that warning should have rung bells but other cars such as BMW might well have been more informative and restrictive.

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - elekie&a/c doctor
A BMW might’ve been more informative.? Perhaps they send out a service technician by drone and advise the driver not to continue the journey? Have I missed something here ? Surely the idea of a dash warning light or message is to inform the driver that there’s a problem. If the driver decides to ignore that message , then there may be a failure ahead. Has anyone actually determined what the fault is ? Can’t see it being a broken belt . These have a service life of at least 100 k miles .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 04/11/2021 at 19:28

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - paul 1963
A BMW might’ve been more informative.? Perhaps they send out a service technician by drone and advise the driver not to continue the journey? Have I missed something here ? Surely the idea of a dash warning light or message is to inform the driver that there’s a problem. If the driver decides to ignore that message , then there may be a failure ahead. Has anyone actually determined what the fault is ? Can’t see it being a broken belt . These have a service life of at least 100 k miles .

I agree Doc, while the lady has my sympathies and the recovery people should have responded better I don't understand those that choose to drive when the vehicle has a obvious fault.

agree Doc, while the lady has my sympathies and the recovery people should have responded better I don't understand those that choose to drive when the vehicle has a obvious fault.

Will report back when I see what JLR say the problem actually was. At least she did not try to recharge the battery on a smart motorway!

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - Steveieb

Heard a story today about a friend who went to get in her car at a shopping centre , opened the passenger door and placed her keys and handbag on the seat.

Went to get in the drivers side and the car was locked.

Tried to text her husband to bring the spare keys but no response after an hour. So she took a taxi home to find he hadn’t checked his phone.

Eventually returned to the car to find the spare wouldn’t work. So called the recovery who found the batteries on both the keys were flat.

With modern cars having no manual key facility it’s even more important to get the batteries changed every year.

Another benefit for older technology and no proximity opening ! My auto electrician has been struggling to fix a car with keyless ignition the other day and had to remove the head lining to access the receiver ! What’s wrong with a manual facility to fall back on !

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - daveyjp

Some modern keyless entry mat not have a manual option, but some have the facility to set up a 'morse code' type PIN number so you can access without a key.

When a button on the car is pressed to match the code (sometimes the boot opener) the car opens. i.e set 1234. Press button once, pause, press twice, pause, press three times, pause, press four times and the car opens.

Of course to know about this feature you need to RTFM!

Of course to know about this feature you need to RTFM!

More relevant today than ever but you probably need to go on the internet to find the manual in the first place which is why so few feel the need to read it. Attending my daughter's incident her brother had to go on the internet to find out how to lock the car with no powere before they left it.

Only this morning brother in law went shopping anf left his car key on the kitcheb table. He was both surprised and relieved it still started after putting his shopping back in it!

All electric net zero anyone? One thing I won't be around for!

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - Andrew-T

Heard a story today about a friend who went to get in her car at a shopping centre , opened the passenger door and placed her keys and handbag on the seat.

I wonder why she bothered to do that rather than just getting in to drive. It's asking for trouble when cars like to lock themselves. Maybe it thought it was being stolen ....

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - Steveieb

My daughters Mazda 3 and our Captur both show a warning on the display when the battery is running low.

But when changing the battery it’s best to use a Duracell or Energizer brand as some of the cheaper replacements aren’t up to this important job

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - Heidfirst

With modern cars having no manual key facility it’s even more important to get the batteries changed every year.

Toyotas do - the key blade for door entry is stored in the fob & the fob (even with a dead battery) can be held against the starter switch & it will work.

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - Will deBeast

Toyotas do - the key blade for door entry is stored in the fob & the fob (even with a dead battery) can be held against the starter switch & it will work.

My Kia Sorento was the same.

Can’t see it being a broken belt . These have a service life of at least 100 k miles .

Broken belt it was., 93k miles short of your 100k MTBF..!

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - RT
Can’t see it being a broken belt . These have a service life of at least 100 k miles .

Broken belt it was., 93k miles short of your 100k MTBF..!

Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) 100,000 miles is very different to At Least 100,000 miles.

Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - elekie&a/c doctor
A poly vee belt broken at 7k miles suggests the problem is elsewhere. The belt has broken as a result of another issue .
Any - Recovery Services - Not Even Same Day! - Smileyman

I once broke down in a brand new car, it was some years ago (E registration number so must have been 1987, my previous car had been involved in an accident and was written off), a Volvo 360, car was just days old. Driving home from work the engine died on me, lights, radio and everything. Later identified as the battery although fine was not being charged. I can't remember all the details, think it was near Leytonstone in East London, the dealer fixed it at no cost (of course).